What was the first horror movie that really got to you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Jaws, I was 9. When the head popped out of the bottom of the boat the whole theater jumped.

Bug also in 75. I remember lifting my legs up onto my seat and looking around for bugs crawling.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, there was that one (sorry, bad wih names) and those crazy kids wouldn't get in the running car, but they went to a safer place hiding behind the chainsaws. No, wait.

The thing that stayed with me was Godzilla vs the Smog Monster. Kind of a horror/SF mashup. My poor parents took me to see the original theatrical release. I just looked it up and it was released to the US in 1972, so I would have been 7-8. I've never been a big horror movie guy.

Last edited:

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We were on vacation to visit one of my Dad's buddies in Florida. His buddy had HBO, which was pretty snazzy in the late 70s. Someone thought it would be fun to watch The Exorcist. I think I was somewhere around 6 or 8 years old.

I didn't sleep much that night.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There have been a few. CFTBL (and the sequels) when I was really little. Another Vincent Price movie, "The Pit and the Pendulum". Then there was the made for tv, "Trilogy of Terror" with 3 short stories. The one with the little Zuni doll that came to life and terrorized Karen Black really got to me. I was watching it back in my bedroom on the old black and white Zenith tv set and it really freaked me out, and I was 15 at the time! :):

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Day of the Triffids. Old film because I'm old, black and white. Comet passes by earth and makes almost everybody blind while it mutates plants so they can move about and kill and eat people. Lots of classic horror tension as the audience can tell the person is in trouble but being blind they cannot tell. I think I was 5 or 6 when I saw it

This!! I am old too!

Don

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I was about 8 when I saw "the birds" being a kid that spent every day outside it got me.
    Not really a horror movie but about that same time period Elizabeth Montgomery did a movie about Lizzy Bourbon that scared me ****less.
    Actual horror movie would be when I was a early teen and nightmare on Elm St was on TV for the first time, I was the only one up.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Jaws is the first one I can really remember, I was probably 7 or 8 the first time I watched it.

Tremors and Tremors 2 are my kind of horror movies, as much comedy as horror and when confronted with deadly monsters the towns people arm themselves and take care of business.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Amityville Horror (1979).

This one along with Exorcist were the ones I remember that really made an impact as a kid. Not sure my exact age when seeing either one. I've seen bits and pieces of both of them in the years since, but never watched them again in their entirety. Not much of a horror movie fan and really have not watched one in many years. My daughter likes them.

I remember the Original Nightmare on Elm Street and the the original Hell Raiser being ones I have watched, but never got into the Halloween or Friday 13th series or really any others.

That said I do own Poltergeist the first one on DVD and I recall even the sequel being ok.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Like others, The Exorcist really got to me when I was 9 or 10. And I love that movie to this day. And to think later in life my team was assigned to a combat outpost in Hatra, Iraq, where the opening scene with Max VonSydow was filmed. I was more of a reader than a movie watcher, so after reading The Omen, I have never been able to watch the movie. That book scared the beJesus out of me!

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Night of the Living Dead". It was on TV on Halloween. I was about 13 or 14.

Loved it then. Love it now.

I don't care for gratuitous gore, so I'm not going to watch any of those.

Top Bottom