What Weapons are Illegal to Have on You?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fish609

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    From my reading of the indiana code this is my list:

Handgun (without permit)
    Machine gun (without stamp)
    Auto-open knife
    Sawed off shotgun
    Armor piercing - plastic coated bullets
    Chinese throwing stars
    Body armor (in the commision of a crime)

I was told by a local police officer that it was also illegal to have a "slap jack" or and brass knuckles in your possession. He even passed around slap jack that he took from someone. Do you know if what he said is true? Am I misreading the law? What other weapons are illegal?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    IC 35-47-5 Prohibited Instruments of Violence

makes no mention of knuckles or blackjacks, or sap gloves, saps, or any other bludgeoning weapon.

As far as I can find, that officer is full of it.

Unless~

Those fell under the sections that have been repealed, and he took them prior to the repeals.

If they were illegal, HOW could he have them outside his official duties?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I did think that brass knuckles were illegal in Indiana going back to the late 1950;s but other on the board here are much more in turn with the letter of the law. I did see a brass knuckle paper weight sold at a gun show within the last 10 years. It even said on box brass knuckle paper weight. so it was a paper weight not brass knuckles.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    even in their official duties, auto knives are illegal for police officers to possess, but do you see them arresting each other for it? :)

heck most of the police ive ever heard say something like "thats illegal, might wanna be careful who you show that to" LMAO,, they know its a BS law too

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If "slap jacks" are illegal what was the cop doing with one? When I worked at the gun shop during college there were a couple of regulars that were cops and they routinely would brag about their new "switch blades" that they took from people on the streets.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Throwing stars are illegal, I remember reading that in some Indiana law
    somewhere...ever since David Carridene starred in KUNG FU, Indiana law
    makers have been terrified of them....little suckers can really leave a mark.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Tasers and "stun weapons" without a LTCH.
    Indiana Code 35-47-8

And pistol grip only shotguns without a LTCH
    The link to the case law is floating around here somewhere, just too lazy to look for it. But if it doesn't have a shoulder stock it's considered a handgun in IN.

ETA Off your property same rules as handguns.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Handgun (without permit)
    Machine gun (without stamp)
    Auto-open knife
    Sawed off shotgun
    Armor piercing - plastic coated bullets
    Chinese throwing stars
    Body armor (in the commision of a crime)

"List of inanimate objects with arbitrary bans on them."

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Throwing stars are illegal, I remember reading that in some Indiana law
    somewhere...ever since David Carridene starred in KUNG FU, Indiana law
    makers have been terrified of them....little suckers can really leave a mark.

They haven't been illegal for that long. Back in 2002-2003 I had ordered some from an online store. A few years later that store changed its shipping policy to Indiana. Can't even remember if I actually still have those any where. If you own something that used to be legal, then they make it illegal years later are you grandfathered in or can you get compensated for it or do you just have to destroy it?

Oh and nuclear warheads. Shame you can't legally carry those around. I could have settle so many arguments if I had one of those on me. And would have had a really cool green glow.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They haven't been illegal for that long. Back in 2002-2003 I had ordered some from an online store. A few years later that store changed its shipping policy to Indiana. Can't even remember if I actually still have those any where. If you own something that used to be legal, then they make it illegal years later are you grandfathered in or can you get compensated for it or do you just have to destroy it?

Oh and nuclear warheads. Shame you can't legally carry those around. I could have settle so many arguments if I had one of those on me. And would have had a really cool green glow.

Something that was once legal, and is now illegal... No "grandfathering" clause, no. Unfortunately. However, there are a FEW very narrow exceptions when it comes to some specific models of lever action rifle not being considered an SBR.

To add to the OP: Suppressors without tax stamps, SBR without tax stamp, AOW without tax stamp...

Also to add: A few weeks ago, I had the distinct pleasure of "playing with" a Benchmade Infidel that one of my step-dad's cousins had brought over to a family gathering. He knew full well that they were illegal in IN...but brought it from his place in ILLINOIS in order to show two of his nephews.

So, the guy from ILLINOIS can have an auto knife, but we Hoosiers can't. Funny.

-J-

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You cannot carry "Nucks" or "Billy" in Brownsburg.

Possession and sale of knucks or billy. It is unlawful for any person except a duly authorized Law Enforcement Officer to knowingly expose, carry concealed on his/her person, or in any vehicle, any knucks or billy or to offer for sale any knucks or billy.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    AP ammo.....couldn't really find anything in Indiana law in my search...?
    Did find the Federal Law...the ATF has excempted the following rounds.

5.56 SS109 an M855 NATO rds., with steel penetrator tip.
    .30-06 M2 AP ammo.

It is OK to Own,Sell,Buy an Shoot

I've seen some of this at Gun Shows for sell so would think for sure that at
    least this AP ammo would be lawful.

Top Bottom