What Weapons are Illegal to Have on You?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bill, not ninja movies, check the title of the Indiana statute. It was the pilot for "Kung Fu".

In the pilot movie there is a training montage scene where a monk is throwing "Chinese throwing stars" at a wooden man in the temple courtyard (an actual wooden cut out, not the mook jong). In writing the bill (in response to neighborhood vandalism) the Indiana Legislative Services Agency used the term "Chinese Throwing Star".

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have the old code books from the '90s, although here at the office I only go back to 2001. I find nothing.

However, on Westlaw I did find an exemption as to the definition of "bomb" (35-41-1-4/3) at Indiana Code 35-41-1-6.6 which was added in 2000 (P.L. 104-2000).

Is this what you are referencing, Law?

IC 35-41-1-6.6
    "Dangerous gas" defined
    Sec. 6.6. "Dangerous gas", for purposes of IC 35-41-1-4.3, means a toxic chemical or its precursors that through chemical action or properties on life processes cause death or permanent injury to human beings. The term does not include the following:
    (1) Riot control agents, smoke, and obscuration materials or medical products that are manufactured, possessed, transported, or used in accordance with the laws of the United States and of this state.
    (2) Tear gas devices designed to be carried on or about the person that contain not more than one-half (1/2) ounce of the chemical.

No, don't think that was the law I'm thinking of. I do remember the limit being set at 2 oz not a 1/2 oz.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Kinda hate to rez this, but a couple questions coming from an online convo I'm having with a friend right now...

Since I can't see the "repealed" codes:

Nunchucks: Did they used to be illegal and now repealed? My friend said she used to have to transport them to and from practice in a zippered and fastened case, and could not carry them openly.

Blowguns: Didn't they also used to be illegal? Now repealed? Or are these in a different code somewhere?

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Throwing stars are illegal, I remember reading that in some Indiana law
    somewhere...ever since David Carridene starred in KUNG FU, Indiana law
    makers have been terrified of them....little suckers can really leave a mark.

Are throwing stars illegal to own or illegal to carry? I have a couple of them in my garage somewhere, they were given to me about 25 yrs ago. Hell, I used to practice throwing them in my backyard with my LEO neighbor.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I didn't know throwing stars are illegal. Oops! Fun to throw anyway. I guess my throwing axes are illegal to then. LOLOL

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Bill, not ninja movies, check the title of the Indiana statute. It was the pilot for "Kung Fu".

In the pilot movie there is a training montage scene where a monk is throwing "Chinese throwing stars" at a wooden man in the temple courtyard (an actual wooden cut out, not the mook jong). In writing the bill (in response to neighborhood vandalism) the Indiana Legislative Services Agency used the term "Chinese Throwing Star".

I learn something new everyday, thank you.:rockwoot:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Stolen Russian Thermo Nuclear Warhead? (lol)

I can't believe that in Indiana, I can have my Glock but I can't carry a Chinese star. lol

Or an automatic knife.

So, the Busse Battle Mistress wedged next to my car seat is fine. That's okay. (Not that I'm complaining.)

IMG_1419.jpg

SRKW RD-LE? Carry it, baby.
    IMG_4899.jpg

VTAC? Fine.

IMG_3156.jpg

The 4553TSW on my hip right now, stoked with 230gr HPs... that's okay.

IMG_5250.jpg

I can pull this from the bedside GunVault and wear it OWB while sporting my mall-ninja accessories and G18 magazine. Fine.

IMG_3698.jpg

Heck, I could have carried my old Draco on a sling while strolling thru Broad Ripple. No problem, sir.

IMG_3666.jpg

But the little Microtech UTX-85 that, I, uh, carried only where legal in Georgia. It's illegal in Indiana?! Because... it makes the wielder soooooo much more deadly?? REALLY???
    IMG_1433.jpg

It's so much more dangerous than the Tarani CUB Master I sold... right.

IMG_3524.jpg

Ya gotta love the hypocrisy of some laws.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    From my reading of the indiana code this is my list:

Handgun (without permit)
    Machine gun (without stamp)
    Auto-open knife
    Sawed off shotgun
    Armor piercing - plastic coated bullets
    Chinese throwing stars
    Body armor (in the commision of a crime)

I was told by a local police officer that it was also illegal to have a "slap jack" or and brass knuckles in your possession. He even passed around slap jack that he took from someone. Do you know if what he said is true? Am I misreading the law? What other weapons are illegal?

Thanks guys!

Just to be clear, while it may be a good idea to have a copy, you do not have to carry your tax stamp around if you own an NFA item. It may save a little hassle though.

Top Bottom