What Weapons are Illegal to Have on You?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    AP ammo.....couldn't really find anything in Indiana law in my search...?

IC 35-47-5-11
    "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 11. (a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) possesses;
    (3) transfers possession of; or
    (4) offers to transfer possession of;
    armor-piercing handgun ammunition commits a Class C felony.
    (c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns.
    (d) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells armor-piercing handgun ammunition to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.332-1983, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.327-1987, SEC.2.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Within the town limits of Brownsburg, IN:
    American Legal Publishing - Online Library

§ 130.08 DANGEROUS KNIVES.

(A) Definition. DANGEROUS KNIFE means any knife having a blade more than three-and-one-half (3½) inches in length, any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, straight-edge razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser, or shaving appliance.
    (`92 Code, § 6-60)
    (B) Possession and sale of dangerous knives. It is unlawful for anyone to knowingly carry concealed on his person or in any vehicle any dangerous knife, or to sell or give away to any person under eighteen (18) years of age to purchase or possess a dangerous knife.
    (`92 Code, § 6-61)
    (C) Exemptions. Division (B) of this section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) Individually licensed hunters or fishermen while on hunting, camping or fishing trips.
    (2) Any person over eighteen (18) years of age carrying a knife in a secure wrapper from or to the place of purchase, to or from a place of repair, or to his home or place of business.
    (3) Any person while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
    (`92 Code, § 6-62) (Ord. 92-25, passed 8-27-92) Penalty, see § 130.99
    § 130.09 DISCHARGING FIREARMS.

(A) Definition. The term FIREARM means any weapon which is capable of or designed to or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile with deadly force by means of an explosion.
    (`92 Code, § 6-66)
    (B) Shooting of firearms prohibited. No person shall fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged, within the limits of the Town, any firearm.
    (`92 Code, § 6-67)
    (C) Exceptions. This section shall not apply to peace officers or soldiers in the discharge of their official duties and while in the exercise of reasonable care; nor to a person using firearms in necessary self-defense; nor to persons conducting a shooting gallery who have first procured a license therefore in accordance with the license ordinance of the Town; nor to shooting clubs conducted at a fixed place of business within the Town and in such a manner that there is no danger to any person whatsoever, provided the shooting club has first obtained permission from the Chief of Police to conduct the same.
    (`92 Code, § 6-68)
    (Ord. 92-25, passed 8-27-92) Penalty, see § 130.99
    Statutory reference:
    Weapons and instruments of violence, see I.C. 35-47-1-1 et seq.
    § 130.10 KNUCKS AND BILLY.

(A) Definitions.
    (1) The term KNUCKS means any metal or nylon device which is capable of or designed to be placed on a person's fist for the infliction of bodily injury to another person.
    (`92 Code, § 6-80)
    (2) The term BILLY means any metal, rubber, nylon, wood, or leather device which is capable of or designed to be held in a person's hand for the infliction of bodily injury to another person.
    (`92 Code, § 6-81)
    (B) Possession and sale of knucks or billy. It is unlawful for any person except a duly authorized Law Enforcement Officer to knowingly expose, carry concealed on his/her person, or in any vehicle, any knucks or billy or to offer for sale any knucks or billy.
    (`92 Code, § 6-82) (Ord. 93-38, passed 9-23-93) Penalty, see § 130.99
    -------------
    Glad I live outside of town, but I still need to drive through every day!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh and nuclear warheads. Shame you can't legally carry those around. I could have settle so many arguments if I had one of those on me. And would have had a really cool green glow.

I don't see anything in IN Code that would prohibit you. WMDs are not illegal. To use them for terrorist activities is, but that's it. Not sure about Fed law..... Of course, there may be zoning issues for radioactive material!

IC 35-47-12-1
    Terrorism
    Sec. 1. A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) possesses;
    (2) manufactures;
    (3) places;
    (4) disseminates; or
    (5) detonates;
    a weapon of mass destruction with the intent to carry out terrorism commits a Class B felony. However, the offense is a Class A felony if the conduct results in serious bodily injury or death of any person.
    As added by P.L.156-2001, SEC.13. Amended by P.L.123-2002, SEC.47.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    even in their official duties, auto knives are illegal for police officers to possess, but do you see them arresting each other for it? :)

heck most of the police ive ever heard say something like "thats illegal, might wanna be careful who you show that to" LMAO,, they know its a BS law too
    What defines an auto knife?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What defines an auto knife?

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Thanks for the info Scutter01, this seems to point only to handgun AP, which is probably why the .30-06 AP an other rifle AP is legal....you would think rifle AP would be more deadly, but handgun AP would be more concealable I guess.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I remember the big stink when thompson center made a factory pistol barrel in 7.62 X 39 because the AP ammo that was once legal became illegal because it could be fired from a pistol. With that said t/c make an encore barrel in 30-06 at 14 inches. So i take it the 30-06 ammo is not legal either. Or just illegal if you own a pistol lenght barrel in the same caliber. It is all a legal mess.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    P.S. I am glad I don't live "Within the town limits of Brownsburg, IN""

One more town to put on my "do not visit" list.

It would be tremendously useful if the state would just preempt all this nonsense. The patchwork of laws created is un-navigable.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    (C) Exemptions. Division (B) of this section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) Individually licensed hunters or fishermen while on hunting, camping or fishing trips.

Good grief. Does anyone read this before they pass it?

So I have to be a licensed hunter or fisherman to have a hatchet on my person or in my vehicle while on a camping trip?

(2) The term BILLY means any metal, rubber, nylon, wood, or leather device which is capable of or designed to be held in a person's hand for the infliction of bodily injury to another person.

So... like a socket wrench?

Careful there Ryan, I've seen your garage! You're up a creek, pal. You won't be able to take your tool box on your next Jeep trip.

Arieas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Indianapois
    One more town to put on my "do not visit" list.

It would be tremendously useful if the state would just preempt all this nonsense. The patchwork of laws created is un-navigable.

I agree on both counts especially because.
    Ignorantia juris non excusat or Ignorantia legis neminem excusat (Latin for "ignorance of the law does not excuse" or "ignorance of the law excuses no one")

Just because your driving through a different town you go from being legal to breaking the law. Indianapolis 5" knife no big deal, Brownsburg breaking the law.

I guess it's true what they say, the only difference between guilt and innocence is timing

PMART

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Everybody is a know it all but the cop is full of BS? The copmost likely signed it out of evidence for the purposes of show and tell (figured most people knew that) You guys will lead this guy down the wrong path and into jail!! Slap jacks are illegal in many states. Go online and try to purchase one and see where they wont ship to. Another way is to simply pull up your states crime code. In Az its a violation under weapons misconduct.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Everybody is a know it all but the cop is full of BS? The copmost likely signed it out of evidence for the purposes of show and tell (figured most people knew that) You guys will lead this guy down the wrong path and into jail!! Slap jacks are illegal in many states. Go online and try to purchase one and see where they wont ship to. Another way is to simply pull up your states crime code. In Az its a violation under weapons misconduct.

Good thing this is not Arizona then huh...

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home

??? I can't even translate this post. The only sentence that makes sense is the last one and you've already been pronounced dead on the scene after a direct head shot from Jeremy for its lack of relivacne. :ar15:

Top Bottom