• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The only thing that is new from what I see is it went from an A2 stock to a magpul PRS. Everything else was exactly as I sold it. All the way down to the scope and mount. I am going to call him today and talk about it. If he comes out with it, I am going to leave it at that. If he denies, I will out him, on here. I have done a significant amount of business with him and he has always done me right. Other then being a little high on his prices, I have never seen anything unethical from him. This is a first for me.

In all honesty I wouldn't get too worked up over the whole thing. You wouldn't want him to deny you business in the future but I understand where you're coming from with him selling it as "new". If he wants to claim it's his personal build... well, let him tell his lies and take everything he says in the future with a grain of salt.

When you talk to him I'd make it clear that you are upset with him selling a used gun as "new". IMO that's the biggest fault of the whole ordeal. If you feel it's necessary to tell him that you don't appreciate him taking the credit for your work, so be it, but unless you're in the shop every time someone takes a look at it he's just going to claim it's his anyways.

The only reason I'd post the name of the shop is to let everyone on here know that they may need to take a better look at the guns they buy from that shop. It's your choice to keep it private or public and everyone should respect your choice. It's your build and your issue. Had you not made a post about it noone would know anyhow. :twocents:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Wow, its bad enough to mark it up that much, but to sell it as new and call it your own!

Some people just don't get it. Anyway, I would not be going there anytime soon.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    UPDATE: I called and asked if he still had the Spikes build AR on the counter for sale. Of course he did (no one is paying that much for a spikes lower and a model 1 upper). I told him that I had been in a few days prior and that I recognized the gun as one I had traded in to him over the summer. He said "That is one of our shop builds" with a hint of annoyance. I told him that the serial numbers and parts matched my build that I traded in. He started to backtrack and said "Oh well, uh, my wife marked these and said it was a shop build." He seemed sincerely embarrassed. He said that the new tag would be changed. I didnt mention price because I couldnt care any less how much he sells it for.

I am going to stop by this afternoon or tomorrow to see if it has been changed. He never recognizes me so being "outed" isnt a concern for me, not that I would care anyways.

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Did you fire the weapon after you built it?
    To me that's the only question, if you didn't fire it and traded it in to him and it's still unfired then it's "new". It's just semantics, if something is preowned and not used then it's preowned but unused. If that's the case then IMO it's much ado about nothing. IF you built it and fired it then maybe it's an argueable case, otherwise it's just someones opinion of "new".

I've noticed alot of people who seem to see lots of things in either black or white, no gray area at all, someone is either a saint or the devil. I guess that's fine if you're on the outside looking in, but when you have stock to buy and lights to keep on and insurance to pay and payroll to meet and families to feed, well, I would think that sometimes something like that can be missed, even sometimes by accident.
    You can believe what you want but if you think that anytime you go to any store or business that is selling you something like guns, cars, jewlery etc etc etc and you don't get lied to or not told the whole truth then you're just fooling yourself. The best advice that I was ever given on purchasing something is very simple, "Buy the gun and not the story". So if I walk into a shop and spy something that I want and it has a great story to go with it or it was owned by a little old lady who only carried it to church on Sundays, I'll evaluate it on the sum of it's parts and it's condition and make my own judgements. If you're happy with what you have and what you paid isn't that really what's important?

Ok, there you have it, there's blood in the water begin the frenzy! ;)

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you walked into a gunshop that you frequent 1-2 times a month, and have done a significant amount of business with over the years, and saw a gun that you built and ultimately traded in to him for sale. The problem is not that he is reselling the gun you traded him, but that the gun is marked as new and more than 3 times what you got in trade because "he wont be able to mark it up much".

Now im not mad that he is reselling it (because thats obviously what he was going to do and its none of my business what he does with his guns) or that its marked up so high (his store, his prices), but that he is selling it as new and as one of his personal builds.

When I was pretending to look at it (really confirming that it was the same gun) he launched into a tirade of how it was a personal build and no expense was spared. It was a budget build by the way.

What would you do?
    First: I would never shop at that store again. At that point you could consider that he would lie to you or any of his other customers about the gun and it's owners or how it's been treated.

Second: I would let all of your gun buds know about your experience with the store and recommend that they not shop there again as well.

Third: Post your experience with the store on INGO and tell us all about what happened without exaggerating the story. I feel like a mass amount of gun owners avoiding that store would create quite a stir in itself.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Did you fire the weapon after you built it?
    To me that's the only question, if you didn't fire it and traded it in to him and it's still unfired then it's "new". It's just semantics, if something is preowned and not used then it's preowned but unused. If that's the case then IMO it's much ado about nothing. IF you built it and fired it then maybe it's an argueable case, otherwise it's just someones opinion of "new".

I've noticed alot of people who seem to see lots of things in either black or white, no gray area at all, someone is either a saint or the devil. I guess that's fine if you're on the outside looking in, but when you have stock to buy and lights to keep on and insurance to pay and payroll to meet and families to feed, well, I would think that sometimes something like that can be missed, even sometimes by accident.
    You can believe what you want but if you think that anytime you go to any store or business that is selling you something like guns, cars, jewlery etc etc etc and you don't get lied to or not told the whole truth then you're just fooling yourself. The best advice that I was ever given on purchasing something is very simple, "Buy the gun and not the story". So if I walk into a shop and spy something that I want and it has a great story to go with it or it was owned by a little old lady who only carried it to church on Sundays, I'll evaluate it on the sum of it's parts and it's condition and make my own judgements. If you're happy with what you have and what you paid isn't that really what's important?

Ok, there you have it, there's blood in the water begin the frenzy! ;)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe the FFL can sell the gun as "new" if it has been transferred previously :dunno: ?

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I am calling BS on his story. You should expose him to us to keep us from dealing with his dishonesty. It is the right thing to do. Then leave some feedback in the "Good, Bad and Ugly" section of this forum.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I gotta agree with most. This guy needs to be identified on the forums. There are few checks and balances in the gun community. If someone is misrepresenting everyone needs to be aware of it. They then have the option of still doing business with that establishment or not. I, for one would not. I vote with my money. It may not be much but it's all mine and I can spend it where I wish. Just like the places that post and are not gun friendly. Fine, that's your choice and it's my choice whether I do business with you or not. If enough get together and vote with their money change can happen. I wouldn't be upset with what he prices it for, he can ask what he wants for it. I just don't have to pay it.:twocents:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Listen Guys. Ive already said im not going to out this business on the forums. Its a simple decision for me. I have been doing business with this shop for several years now. I have always been met with a smile or kind words when walking in. I have never witnessed anything other than that. Before this incident, I have never witnessed anything remotely unethical or immoral. While his prices may be a little high, he is always willing to negotiate and wheel and deal.

I was very surprised with what I saw at the shop. I disclosed the details of the gun in question and the asking price. The gun is currently off the shelves being rebuilt with some different parts and will be sold as used when it is sold.

My advice is to look over the guns you buy very closely and you should be fine. Do some research before you buy and you wont be taken advantage of. Im not in the business of messing with someones income and livelihood based on one incident that may or may not have been an accident.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Then name the shop as a place to go if you support it so much. When you ask for advice in a situation like this, on a gun forum, people are going to want to know which shop. Either to avoid or go to because of your words. In the end you did what you would have done without this thread.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Listen Guys. Ive already said im not going to out this business on the forums. Its a simple decision for me. I have been doing business with this shop for several years now. I have always been met with a smile or kind words when walking in. I have never witnessed anything other than that. Before this incident, I have never witnessed anything remotely unethical or immoral. While his prices may be a little high, he is always willing to negotiate and wheel and deal.

I was very surprised with what I saw at the shop. I disclosed the details of the gun in question and the asking price. The gun is currently off the shelves being rebuilt with some different parts and will be sold as used when it is sold.

My advice is to look over the guns you buy very closely and you should be fine. Do some research before you buy and you wont be taken advantage of. Im not in the business of messing with someones income and livelihood based on one incident that may or may not have been an accident.

Good for you! Sounds like it was a mistake after all and he's going to make it right...that's a good sign. No need trashing somebody over an honest mistake.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Then name the shop as a place to go if you support it so much. When you ask for advice in a situation like this, on a gun forum, people are going to want to know which shop. Either to avoid or go to because of your words. In the end you did what you would have done without this thread.

I frequent and support such shops as Riley Brothers on 421, His and Hers Target Sports in Sheridan, Premier Arms in Brownsburg, Plainfield Shooting Supplies, and several others.

When I ask what you would in a given situation, I want to know exactly that. I will make my decision based around how I feel and contrast it to what others would do to make sure im not to off base. My advice to the people who would choose to not visit a gun shop based on one account that may or may not have been an accident on the owners part is to do your own research on whatever shop you plan to visit. Also do research on the firearms you are interested in buying. Furthermore, give the gun you are buying a very good looking over before you buy it.

Top Bottom