• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    i used to freeze the beaters too, but got lazy. Just a splash of anything, vanilla, bourbon, or rum, you can always taste it and add another splash of needed. The rum needs to be paired with things that rum goes with. Maybe pineapple upside down cake?

I've always added vanilla. Might try bourbon.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Throw the beaters in the freezer with the bowl too. I have the same Kitchen Aid hand mixer though my daughter has the stand version and it does it even better!

How much bourbon? I tried it with rum once. I kept cutting the amount to get to a flavor we liked and never made it. We just decided we didn't like rum flavored whipped cream.

I love real homemade egg nog, had to cut the alcohol in half for the ladies and mixed up a batch of liquor (mix of bourbon, rum, cognac), for floaters on the guys rounds. LOL

And if you are thinking, I don't like egg nog, if you have never had homemade from scratch you have never tried egg nog. I'd barf if I had to drink store bought...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I love real homemade egg nog, had to cut the alcohol in half for the ladies and mixed up a batch of liquor (mix of bourbon, rum, cognac), for floaters on the guys rounds. LOL

And if you are thinking, I don't like egg nog, if you have never had homemade from scratch you have never tried egg nog. I'd barf if I had to drink store bought...
    I like the storebought, but it sometimes has too much clove and is always WAY too friggin sweet. I wish someone would do a sugar free eggnog.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I got a little more information: My wife volunteered information :rolleyes: that my brother's family is coming to my house.

"Oh, isn't he a doctor? Well, in that case you can't come to work for two weeks. Doesn't matter if he has no symptoms or test negative."

AFAIK, that's completely outside of any legal standing.

"Why am I here when you told me to quarantine? My BiL and his family didnt come. He got called in to help treat COVID patients. So [insert family member here] took him and his family plates of food."

Problem solved.

I've never spatchcocked a turkey. I've done a few chickens.

[STRIKE]Thats what Im doing. Was considering halving it and throwing it in my smoker, (wouldnt fit in whole) but my mom hates smoked meats.

So I'm meating in the middle and grilling it.

That and making Grandma's Dressing from scratch.[/STRIKE] It is AMAZEBALLS. I'm obligated to make it every year because I'm one of two family members that makes it like she did. (and the only one apparently capable of hitting it perfectly)

UPDATE: I aint doin SQUAT now. Just got the call from mom. She was possibly exposed at work. So she is waiting for one person's test to see if she needs tested along with the rest of her office. Two of my adult cousins have tested positive. They were at a funeral last week with My aunt (their grandma) and my sister. So pretty much everyone that was coming to my house is either quarantined or waiting to see if they need tested.

Oh well. At least I hadnt bought a turkey yet. I really dont like turkey except deep fried (expensive, which is why I was grilling) or smoked, so I cook it out of tradition and for the rest of the family that does. Since I dont have the freezer space to store one I was just going to buy one Monday the day I would have moved it to the fridge.

I guess I'll make dressing anyway and have more to eat myself.

Last edited:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I bought a stainless “beer-can chicken” setup and use it in the vertical smoker with fresh cranberries and hard cider in the “can”

I use stainless kebab skewers to help keep the bird upright, rub a bit of butter and sage under the skin and smoke with pecan chips low and slow until the pop up gauge says it’s done.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought a stainless “beer-can chicken” setup and use it in the vertical smoker with fresh cranberries and hard cider in the “can”

I use stainless kebab skewers to help keep the bird upright, rub a bit of butter and sage under the skin and smoke with pecan chips low and slow until the pop up gauge says it’s done.

I had one of those for the oven at one time. the cone was a lid that sat on a pan and you'd add the herbs and beer into the bottom of that and the fat would drip down into the pan. It was great.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Why am I here when you told me to quarantine? My BiL and his family didnt come. He got called in to help treat COVID patients. So [insert family member here] took him and his family plates of food."

Problem solved.

UPDATE: I aint doin SQUAT now.

You know what they say - "happy wife, happy life."

She couldn't even discuss it without getting highly charged (par for the course), so I asked to see this rule (her words, not mine) in writing.

And it turns out it's not a rule at all, just a "pretty please" request.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You know what they say - "happy wife, happy life."

She couldn't even discuss it without getting highly charged (par for the course), so I asked to see this rule (her words, not mine) in writing.

And it turns out it's not a rule at all, just a "pretty please" request.

I hear ya. My wife is the same. twice in the last couple weeks she has been ready to throttle somebody. first, an article in the church conference newsletter pretty much calling out all Trump voters as racist enablers. (because just because a racist also liking your presidential candidate automatically makes you complicit, donchaknow?) And then our bishop cancelling all services during a zoom call mere minutes after an IU health expert on the call he was supposedly consulting said its safe to meet provided you wash hands, mask up, and social distance. His ignoring their advice after telling us all he was consulting the experts sent her off the deep end.

Last edited:

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    She who must be obeyed states that we are having a take out Thanksgiving to help the restaurants that are hurting because of Covid - 19.
    Who am I to argue?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hear ya. My wife is the same. twice in the last couple weeks she has been ready to throttle somebody. first, an article in the church conference newsletter pretty much calling out all Trump voters as racist enablers. (because just because a racist also liking your presidential candidate automatically makes you complicit, donchaknow?) And then our bishop cancelling all services during a zoom call mere minutes after an IU health expert on the call he was supposedly consulting said its safe to meet provided you wash hands, mask up, and social distance. His ignoring their advice after telling us all he was consulting the experts sent her off the deep end.

4n73me.jpg

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My Thanksgiving preparations will begin this afternoon and evening. I intend to try to make my own creme fraiche. It is required for several dishes I am going to cook and if I can make it on my own may(?) save me bookoo bucks as it is very expensive in the store ($5 for a small jar.)

Tonight or tomorrow I'll move an extra refrigerator into the garage that is a gift. It will sit mostly empty until Monday evening.

Here is my menu for Thanksgiving:

Intro

Bean-and-Bacon Soup “A Feast of Ice & Fire” Pg #31 (Cookbook of many of the foods described in Game of Thrones)
    Salad (Simple tossed salad, I’ll make the red raspberry vinaigrette 5[SUP]th[/SUP] ed Pg #732)
    Black Bread (x2 loaves) (Prep dough the day before) Cook 1[SUP]st[/SUP] thing in morning (also GoT)
    French Loaves, For dipping in Bagna Cauda (cut into bite sized pieces)
    Bagna Cauda (Inspired by an episode of B5 w/ Michael Garibaldi)
    Smoked Salmon Mousse (Use cucumber recipe w/ side of sauce & caviar from Galton)
    Caviar w/ crackers & crème cheese or crème fraiche

Main Course

Braised Pork w/ Apples & Prunes (French Cooking Academy)
    Chicken with Tarragon sauce (FCA) (Maybe 2 servings)

Sides
    Macaroni & Cheese (a 5 cheese recipe cooked in cast iron)
    Buttered Carrots “AFOI&F” – Modern recipe (makes more & doesn’t use oven)
    White Cheddar Cauliflower Gratin
    Bacon wrapped green beans (sweet, will be put in butter w/ some seasoning & brown sugar)

Desserts

Apple Butter Spice Cake (Oven)
    Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake
    Peanut butter cookies
    Candied pecans (again, thanks to BBI:ingo:)

Most shopping will be done on Monday. The meat will be purchased on Wednesday in order to maintain freshness. The spiced pumpkin cheesecake will be done Tuesday evening, as it needs to rest for a day. All other desserts will be completed on Wednesday. The French loaves will be done on Wednesday as well. I want to cut up the bread and have it slightly stale for dipping in the bagna cauda.

All other prep work will be done Wednesday. I will premeasure all ingredients and put them into little plastic bowls sealed. All the bowls will then go into their own box in the fridge. This way on Thursday when I want to start the chicken in tarragon sauce all I need to do is pull out the box and all will be measured. Cooking will then be easy (this is the plan, I know what Ike said, but I still have a plan).

I have already estimated the cost of each dish. Surprisingly the most expensive one is NOT a meat dish, but rather the macaroni & cheese coming in at $50. It is the price of three (3) pounds of cheese, plus a few other cheeses that make it through the roof.

Should anyone want a link to any of these recipes feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to share.

I'll try to take a few pictures to share how this years drama winds up. With the help of many chafing dishes I am hoping to avoid the "always late" stigma that has plagued me in the past. We shall see...

Regards,

Doug

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My Thanksgiving preparations will begin this afternoon and evening. I intend to try to make my own creme fraiche. It is required for several dishes I am going to cook and if I can make it on my own may(?) save me bookoo bucks as it is very expensive in the store ($5 for a small jar.)

Tonight or tomorrow I'll move an extra refrigerator into the garage that is a gift. It will sit mostly empty until Monday evening.

Here is my menu for Thanksgiving:

Intro

Bean-and-Bacon Soup “A Feast of Ice & Fire” Pg #31 (Cookbook of many of the foods described in Game of Thrones)
    Salad (Simple tossed salad, I’ll make the red raspberry vinaigrette 5[SUP]th[/SUP] ed Pg #732)
    Black Bread (x2 loaves) (Prep dough the day before) Cook 1[SUP]st[/SUP] thing in morning (also GoT)
    French Loaves, For dipping in Bagna Cauda (cut into bite sized pieces)
    Bagna Cauda (Inspired by an episode of B5 w/ Michael Garibaldi)
    Smoked Salmon Mousse (Use cucumber recipe w/ side of sauce & caviar from Galton)
    Caviar w/ crackers & crème cheese or crème fraiche

Main Course

Braised Pork w/ Apples & Prunes (French Cooking Academy)
    Chicken with Tarragon sauce (FCA) (Maybe 2 servings)

Sides
    Macaroni & Cheese (a 5 cheese recipe cooked in cast iron)
    Buttered Carrots “AFOI&F” – Modern recipe (makes more & doesn’t use oven)
    White Cheddar Cauliflower Gratin
    Bacon wrapped green beans (sweet, will be put in butter w/ some seasoning & brown sugar)

Desserts

Apple Butter Spice Cake (Oven)
    Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake
    Peanut butter cookies
    Candied pecans (again, thanks to BBI:ingo:)

Most shopping will be done on Monday. The meat will be purchased on Wednesday in order to maintain freshness. The spiced pumpkin cheesecake will be done Tuesday evening, as it needs to rest for a day. All other desserts will be completed on Wednesday. The French loaves will be done on Wednesday as well. I want to cut up the bread and have it slightly stale for dipping in the bagna cauda.

All other prep work will be done Wednesday. I will premeasure all ingredients and put them into little plastic bowls sealed. All the bowls will then go into their own box in the fridge. This way on Thursday when I want to start the chicken in tarragon sauce all I need to do is pull out the box and all will be measured. Cooking will then be easy (this is the plan, I know what Ike said, but I still have a plan).

I have already estimated the cost of each dish. Surprisingly the most expensive one is NOT a meat dish, but rather the macaroni & cheese coming in at $50. It is the price of three (3) pounds of cheese, plus a few other cheeses that make it through the roof.

Should anyone want a link to any of these recipes feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to share.

I'll try to take a few pictures to share how this years drama winds up. With the help of many chafing dishes I am hoping to avoid the "always late" stigma that has plagued me in the past. We shall see...

Regards,

Doug

Can I come for dinner!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Doug, I do love a good Bagna Cauda.

What's your black bread recipe? I've been experimenting with 100% rye sourdough. The last batch was way too dense, just didn't rise in the pans.

[video=youtube;LCNDZhXG_S0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNDZhXG_S0[/video]

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Doug, I do love a good Bagna Cauda.

What's your black bread recipe? I've been experimenting with 100% rye sourdough. The last batch was way too dense, just didn't rise in the pans.

[video=youtube;LCNDZhXG_S0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNDZhXG_S0[/video]

First, this recipe requires BEER! That is, the beer must go into the recipe. No drinking allowed until the requirements of the recipe have been fulfilled. (Of course, a proper tasting to make certain of the freshness of the beer is fine:cheers:)

Black Bread
    Prep time = 15 min. Dough rising = 3 hrs (overnight in fridge). Baking time 25 – 30 min.

Dry Yeast 2¼ tsp
    Dark beer 12 oz
    Honey 2 tbsp (Organic, raw, unfiltered Krogers)
    Kosher salt 2 tsp
    Egg (x1)
    White flour (x2 cups)
    Rye flour (x2 cups)
    Whole wheat flour (x ½ cup)

Total = $15.50

#1) In small bowl pour in the beer. Then mix in the honey and add the yeast. Let rest for five (5) minutes until foamy. Add the beaten egg to the mix.

#2) Add in the mixed flour, one (1) cup at a time. The ideal consistency is when it forms a cohesive mass.

#3) Flour work surface and turn the dough out for kneading. Using firm motions work the dough for about five (5) minutes, until it bounces back when poked.

#4) Cover with clean dish towel and let rise for at least an hour. (I leave in the fridge overnight.)

#5) Preheat oven to 450°F. Punch the dough then let it rise again for at least two (2) more hours or refrigerate overnight.

#6) Form the dough into two (2) loaves, dust lightly with flour and lightly slash tops in a decorative fashion.

#7) Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the crust is nicely browned, then let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.

The beer I have used in the past is "Murphy's Imported Stout Draught Style."

Here is how mine has turned out in the past. It tastes great and goes well with the bean & bacon soup!

20191019_110151.jpg

I hope this helps! Any questions let me know!

Regards,

Doug

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

First, this recipe requires BEER! That is, the beer must go into the recipe. No drinking allowed until the requirements of the recipe have been fulfilled. (Of course, a proper tasting to make certain of the freshness of the beer is fine:cheers:)

Well, I got homebrewed oatmeal stout on tap. ;)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Smoked a 22lb bird for 13 hours. Apple Wood base with hickory top and an added Mesquite dose about half way in. Will do home made cranberry relish, (GF) bread stuffing and gravy, mashed taters, corn pudding, carrot salad, fresh hot dinner rolls (ala Logan's style with honey butter and GF) and pumpkin, apple and pecan pies.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Smoked Turkey Breast From the Butcher shop, Made from Scratch Chicken Dressing , Mashed potatoes With Gravy And Corn From this years Harvest . Not sure of the Desert yet but i am thinking Egg Nog Milk Shake with Bourbon Cream in IT
    Just me and the Wife this Year so we will be eating left overs for a few days

Top Bottom