• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Howbout garlic crab mashed potatoes?

I don't know why but when you said that I thought about mixing the crab, garlic, and mashed potatoes. Then, heat a cast iron skillet with lots of unhealthy oil and fry some patties of that, like a crab potato pancake or at a latke. I don't know how it would turn out but it sounds good right now.

Doug

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I don't know why but when you said that I thought about mixing the crab, garlic, and mashed potatoes. Then, heat a cast iron skillet with lots of unhealthy oil and fry some patties of that, like a crab potato pancake or at a latke. I don't know how it would turn out but it sounds good right now.

Doug
    Interesting thought. I like crab cakes and I like latke. Not sure about combining the two.

HoosierNation33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2020
    Springfield
    It does seem rather interesting. I would imagine it would boil down to the garlic and how the mash was made. If the garlic was added as minced and not granulated/powder, then it may burn and taste quite bitter-thus, throwing off the sweetness of the crab and creaminess of the potato.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Howbout garlic crab mashed potatoes?

Oooh, that doesn't sound bad! And actually I've been kind of going back and forth about whether or not to do the crab-stuffed filets. May just do the regular bacon-wrapped and save the crab for the mushroom caps, but throwing some in the mashed potatoes could work too. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It does seem rather interesting. I would imagine it would boil down to the garlic and how the mash was made. If the garlic was added as minced and not granulated/powder, then it may burn and taste quite bitter-thus, throwing off the sweetness of the crab and creaminess of the potato.

I know it's blasphemous, but I actually like the Idahoan Roasted Garlic instant mashed potatoes. Super quick and easy and they have really good flavor. Boil water, dump in the pouch, stir, done.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I know it's blasphemous, but I actually like the Idahoan Roasted Garlic instant mashed potatoes. Super quick and easy and they have really good flavor. Boil water, dump in the pouch, stir, done.

I do the instant potatoes also, but I always sub out some of the water for milk and butter.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As far as the employer's take on quarantine for people spending the holiday with family, I just had one of those uncomfortable discussions with our HR today about a team member. They said the NEW CDC guidelines and medical opinions state that staff cannot be required to quarantine after exposure to a known Covid case. She said (and I'm not kidding) if the staff member tests positive but they are A symptomatic they are good to come back to work! The medical opinions/talking heads are saying that we've all probably been exposed so there is no longer reason to maintain strict quarantine requirements. I was speechless. Asked for clarity about four times. Still can't believe it.

That sounds like they're suffering from too many people being out, so they just change the rules.

I had a "talk" with my wife (see OP), she tried to tell me her employer can quarantine her. I told her, "No, they can tell you to stay out of the office, but they can't force you to stay inside." An employer's concern is their workers and customers, not the general public.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Caviar arrived early this morning! Right into fridge on bottom shelf.

I am about to get cleaned up and head out on 2nd to final shopping run, mostly for the meat. I say 2nd to last because I KNOW I will forget something and have to make yet another run...

Got the spiced pumpkin cheesecake done last night. Got the peanut butter cookie dough made for baking today.

When I get back I'll start on prepping all ingredients with the apple butter spice cake that will be made today. I'll do the peanut butter cookies tonight, along with the candied pecans and some walnuts. The walnuts will go into a simple salad tomorrow.

Just glad the caviar made it! That is my surprise serving this year. Markey's did great. Package was well insulated and stocked with four (4) ice packs, none of them melted all the way.

Regards,

Doug

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That sounds like they're suffering from too many people being out, so they just change the rules.

I had a "talk" with my wife (see OP), she tried to tell me her employer can quarantine her. I told her, "No, they can tell you to stay out of the office, but they can't force you to stay inside." An employer's concern is their workers and customers, not the general public.

You are a correct...and as an employer, all I really care about is my workplace. We have made no pronouncements (Thanksgiving or otherwise) about behavior outside of our office and I do not foresee that happening.

Our policy has been that if anyone has symptoms or tests positive, that person does not come to office until they get the all clear (by passage of time or otherwise). Those with symptoms should get tested. Those who were in close contact with that person at work (closer than 6 feet for over 10 minutes in a 24 hour period) cannot come to the office for 14 days from exposure. We stay pretty spread out. Even when my own secretary got it in October, I did not have to stay home because I was not in "close contact" as defined above.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    On the food front, I'm looking forward to the turkey, some baked sweet potatoes with just butter and some green beans....I am both boring and easy to satisfy.

The rest of the fam will have all the other traditional stuff as well- stuffing, mashed potatoes, pie, etc., etc., etc.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Sugar Cream Pie? Is this a Indiana thing? Wife loves this concoction ... urgh ... maybe it's like Pecan Pie in the South, anything with sugar is good?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sugar Cream Pie? Is this a Indiana thing? Wife loves this concoction ... urgh ... maybe it's like Pecan Pie in the South, anything with sugar is good?

I think it might be. I never heard of it before I moved here. I have had it. I like it about as much as Pecan pie...not much.

They are both too sweet for me. As are most commercially made and grandmotherly made desserts. It's my european upbringing. We prefer "slightly" sweet.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A couple of birds are ready for hitting a seasoned brine tomorrow.
    Prepping some beef tenderloins on Wednesday.
    The big birds are getting smoked along with some pheasants early Thursday.
    Tenderloins go on much later... rare to medium rare is the preferred temp for this group.
    Have an uncle that will smoke whatever oysters are left over from the shuck and shoot.
    Sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, etc.
    Spiced and spiked cider (heavy on the cloves)
    etc etc

Full on day of giving thanks around here.

The governor, the mayor, nor any of their cohorts are invited.

If they show, we have a smoke pit already dug out, heating up, and ready to go for them.

Well, Uncle got into town earlier than expected...at the rate we're going there will not be many oysters left for smoking... Luckily, niece and her husband are on their way with more live ones.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Four the most part, it is a Hoosier thing.

It's a member of the "chess" family of pies - those maybe similar to custards, which, a good pecan pie should also be.

Top Bottom