• ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I really think that people get too caught up with firearms when it comes to SHTF weapons. A good study staff/cane/stick seems like something that would have tons a value.

Anytime I'm out and about at my wooded property in Owen county, I'm carrying this hiking staff.
    As you mentioned, something like this is first-line defense against an aggressive feral dog ..... or if needed, it swings up instantly into the nads of an aggressive human. ;)

I made it myself from a branch of bristlecone pine. It's very sturdy wood.

i-jmrScT3-XL.jpg

i-3GN49Wb-XL.jpg

.....but yeah, as everyone says, get a shotgun, OP ! :)

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    I am really disappointed INGO, We are 34 replies in and no one thinks a solid .22LR rifle is worth having in SHTF times? I would strongly recommend a good .22 rifle. Something like a Henry lever action would allow the use of a wide variety of loads including CCI Quiet which would be good for SHTF hunting.

He said in his first post he's got a 22 revolver and a ar 5.56 on the way i would get a cmmg 22lr conversion bolt for the ar i love mine great accuracy out to 50yds not to bad at 100 and only about 12 oz that henry is about 7-8 pounds don't get me wrong the Henry's a great gun just not the best for bug setup

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you watch Junkyard Fox on youtube?

I do now!

Interesting side note on the hav-a-heart traps. I've caught birds in them twice, the last time two birds at once. There could be meat to be had long after conventional "game" is gone?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Full 9mm for sure. Handle some Glocks and M&P's and get the one you like best. I prefer Glocks but I understand why others don't. Everyone should have an M&P 9.

As much as you speak the truth I can just not bring myself to buy either platform. I have a CZ SP-01 Shadow and I love it. Only 9mm I currently own.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do now!

Interesting side note on the hav-a-heart traps. I've caught birds in them twice, the last time two birds at once. There could be meat to be had long after conventional "game" is gone?

Yep! Make plans now, get used to the shift in paradigm, and then hope and do what it takes to prevent it from becoming a necessity!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    1. Ruger 10/22 rifle with extra mags. Very versatile firearm. 22LR ammo is coming down in price and a little bit of investment adds up to a lot of ammo.

2. 12GA pump shotgun. Pawn shops are full of them right now. Don't pay the price on the tag. You can pick up a used Mossberg 500 for $150 or less. Walmart has new Stevens 320's (Copy of Winchester 1300) for $147 out the door. Having both a 18"-20" slug barrel and 28" field barrel will allow you to adapt to your specific needs at the time.

3. Either a medium to full size 9mm pistol or 38/357 revolver with a 4 " barrel.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    How about a completely different direction. Being a gun forum, most of us have plenty of guns, but we can't shoot, what we can't see. Thermal scope maybe?

Own the night!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    He said in his first post he's got a 22 revolver and a ar 5.56 on the way i would get a cmmg 22lr conversion bolt for the ar i love mine great accuracy out to 50yds not to bad at 100 and only about 12 oz that henry is about 7-8 pounds don't get me wrong the Henry's a great gun just not the best for bug setup
    How about a different Henry - the AR7. Light, relatively accurate, easier to conceal, semi-auto, floats. Much better than the Savage and Charter Arms versions.

How about a completely different direction. Being a gun forum, most of us have plenty of guns, but we can't shoot, what we can't see. Thermal scope maybe?

Own the night!
    ^This. See them coming before they even know you're there.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have several different pieces in .22 LR but I hold no illusions that there will be anything to hunt.

This right here.

I really can't see a SHTF situation of any kind where anyone will be living off of sustenance hunting, at least in Indiana.

I really don't have much use for a .22, but I have a few just for fun. The ammo is cheap, and they could be used for defense in a pinch.
    My "necessary" calibers to stock are 9mm, 12 gauge and 5.56 mm. Those will do anything that I need to do in a SHTF situation.

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    I think a lightweight AR with bomb-proof optic like trijicon or eotech will serve you best as all-purpose survival gun. It can be used in hunting as well as personal defense. It's my philosophy that anything that you need must be able to be carried with you, and I'm not carrying more than one long gun and a sidearm

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This right here.

I really can't see a SHTF situation of any kind where anyone will be living off of sustenance hunting, at least in Indiana.

I really don't have much use for a .22, but I have a few just for fun. The ammo is cheap, and they could be used for defense in a pinch.
    My "necessary" calibers to stock are 9mm, 12 gauge and 5.56 mm. Those will do anything that I need to do in a SHTF situation.

The .22's are fun especially with the kids.
    My go too's are .45 ACP (there is 1 9mm on hand for the spouse) 12g 5.56 and .308
    Well supplied in all of the above.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have a CZ SP-01 Shadow and I love it. Only 9mm I currently own.

I have one 9mm as well..A Sig 226 that was a Clarksville Police officer's gun that I took in trade at the shop and then 4473'd it on home for sentimental reasons...

I am glad we are both comfortable enough in our manhood to admit to owning a 9mm....BBI knew I had it but promised he would never say anything to any one about it.....Thank you for giving me the courage to admit on a public forum that I to have a 9mm......And I have watched a musical once...And enjoyed it....

:) :) :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I know there are 100s of lists out there. But I wanted to ask the experts.
    I conceal carry a lcp2. Have a .22lr revolver. And a 16" ar15 in 5.56 (well I will as soon as PSA finishes processing the order haha)

What's next? Full size 9mm? 12 gauge?

I hope I don't come off as offensive when I say this, and keep in mind I thought the same way back when I started to think about what SHTF would look like so I'm going to type here as if I was talking to myself back in the day and setting myself straight. You're phrasing this as another SHTF gun, and not just a general "what's the next play thing in my collection" and there's a difference between the two.

You have a concealed carry gun, but how good are you with it? Have you put 1,000 rounds through it? Be honest with yourself and go take a class from a really good instructor and get a reality check. Truth is, you probably have a lot to work on that you're not aware of and if you've never taken a combative/fighting type of pistol class or ran some very uncomfortable drills you're missing out. I wish I'd have taken training classes earlier in life, and I say that having not taken a class until I was done working for uncle sam with a tour under my belt. My first training class I was constantly having those "had I known then, what I know now kind of moments" I would have done things differently.

You have a rifle on order that you don't even know if it works or not. I've got nothing but love for PSA, and if the democrats knew how many I'd put together at my kitchen table for myself and friends they'd try to ban my kitchen table. I've also seen some lemons float through too, and all guns have their quirts. Get that rifle out to a class and get it dirty. Get to a range and hit plates out as far as you can. Army shoots to 300 meters and Marines out to 500 meters with basic rifles let alone a designated marksman rifle. If you can't do that on demand yet, you're not ready for a new gun because you're not proficient with what you've got yet. I'm not trying to be offensive saying that, but reality of a SHTF gunfight is running, moving, changing mags, and hitting what you're shooting at. The reality of a SHTF shot on game is that you've got a hungry family/friends somewhere behind you that's counting on you to be able to make a shot count on a wild animal to bring home meat to people who haven't eaten in a while. Do you want to look them in the eyes like an idiot and say you missed a big doe at 120 yards because you're sights were off, or that you just sucked and missed, or something else that's easily preventable? Again, not trying to make snowflakes melt, but seriously assess how proficient you are with your new pew pew before getting carried away with another one. How many mags, and how much ammo do you already have for that rifle or on order as well?

You ask the question "what's next"? When's the last time you walked 5 miles with whatever gear you thought you needed? You're getting good answers on guns, mags, ammo, but can you carry as much of it as you think you may need?

I wish starting out, I'd have taken a week long non-military remote backpacking trip earlier in life. It puts the reality check of how much gear you want to have and carry into check. I wish starting out I'd have bought a berkey water filter before additional guns. I wish starting out I'd have focused more on traps/snares/fishing etc than buying an additional gun. Not trying to be a buzzkill, but if you're worried about SHTF I think you're better off being able to provide your neighbors clean filtered water than you're going to be if you think you're going to poke holes in them with your newest gun.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This right here.

One of my main SHTF/prepping thoughts is that I can't anticipate all of the possibilities. And, while my "necessary" calibers are pretty much the same as yours, I can very easily see a SHTF situation where having a .22 might be useful.

Even if I don't plan to subsist off of squirrels and chipmunks, I could see the usefulness in being able to take small game when I want without blowing it full of big holes. Another thing to consider is that, post SHTF, it would be far easier to improvise a silencer for a .22 than for more powerful guns, allowing me to hunt small game without advertising my presence to others. Growing up in a rural area, it's almost hard for me to think about not having a .22 in my house.

Top Bottom