• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Shotgun. Great for small game on up to the largest in No America with the correct load. I'd probably prefer a pump over other options, but all are good.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Depends on the type of SHTF you're preparing for.

If the problem is, say, an EMP and you're foraging squirrels to supplement what you've got in your garden, than a .22 rifle--or maybe better, a small caliber muzzle loader is essential. In a situation like that, a firearm that can fire multiple cartridges is an advantage: i.e. a .357mag that can also fire .38spl or .38S&W. Likewise, firearms that fire common, easy to find ammo.

If the problem is a short term disaster like a riot, it becomes a question of balancing "fire power" and stopping power. You said you already ordered an AR so with a 12 gauge you'll have both bases covered. They're all serviceable so you need to look into features like location of safeties etc and decide what's best for you. You can rent them at most LGS with ranges if you don't know someone who has some.

As for handguns, since your only other fighting gun is a pocket pistol, I'd lean toward a compact (Glock 19 size) 9mm semi auto for magazine capacity and speed of reloading--try some to check which you shoot the best.

And as was said upthread: TRAINING and practice

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If we want to take that question really literally, we could go with your choice between a shovel and a pitch fork, or maybe a brush for cleaning fan blades. :):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If we want to take that question really literally, we could go with your choice between a shovel and a pitch fork, or maybe a brush for cleaning fan blades. :):

I really think that people get too caught up with firearms when it comes to SHTF weapons. A good study staff/cane/stick seems like something that would have tons a value.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I really think that people get too caught up with firearms when it comes to SHTF weapons. A good study staff/cane/stick seems like something that would have tons a value.

I wouldn't want to bring a stick to a gun fight.

Though there is way more to surviving a SHTF situation than having guns.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wouldn't want to bring a stick to a gun fight.

Though there is way more to surviving a SHTF situation than having guns.

Well, you can have your guns too. I'm think along the lines of feral animals. Shoot a dog, and the sound will carry giving away you position. Beating it to death, seems like a better option.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Shotgun. Great for small game on up to the largest in No America with the correct load. I'd probably prefer a pump over other options, but all are good.

I actually prefer an auto loader. The shells we run will rock you back in a pump gun. Mine have been pretty much flawless.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    That's what I have right now. A Mossberg 930 with a short barrel and a spare longer barrel. Nice setup. My youngest son in Colorado has my 870 in case I get the urge for pheasants next year. The fastest pump I've ever used is the old Winchester Defender.

Shotguns are like women. Most of them are enjoyable and some are just awesome.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's what I have right now. A Mossberg 930 with a short barrel and a spare longer barrel. Nice setup. My youngest son in Colorado has my 870 in case I get the urge for pheasants next year. The fastest pump I've ever used is the old Winchester Defender.

Shotguns are like women. Most of them are enjoyable and some are just awesome.

We had a matching pair of defenders. I sold them and later realized how freaking sweat they ran.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

You have to go and get all serious...I was talking about literally shoveling s**t.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it's really a SHTF weapon, then a single shot 12ga and a set of caliber adapters would be a good choice.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    My plan for SHTF guns.
    1. Multiple weapons in 9mm. All my friends/bug out buddies have the same.
    2. 22lr. You can carry/transport a ton of it. A good 22 rifle and pistol.
    3. Backup weapon in another caliber. I have 357 revolvers. That way I can find 38 special or 357.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am really disappointed INGO, We are 34 replies in and no one thinks a solid .22LR rifle is worth having in SHTF times? I would strongly recommend a good .22 rifle. Something like a Henry lever action would allow the use of a wide variety of loads including CCI Quiet which would be good for SHTF hunting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Coach gun should be twice as good then, eh?
    I see that they are now selling longer/rifled versions of their adapters. Wonder about the accuracy of these?

I didn't think about a side by side, but that could work.

I don'[t know about accuracy. One of the guys who makes them was at the Self Reliance Outfitters grand re-opening, but I didn't talk to him about it. I think it would be at least as good as a self-loading pistol.

I am really disappointed INGO, We are 34 replies in and no one thinks a solid .22LR rifle is worth having in SHTF times? I would strongly recommend a good .22 rifle. Something like a Henry lever action would allow the use of a wide variety of loads including CCI Quiet which would be good for SHTF hunting.

Worth having? Sure!

However, if I had to rely on small game for my means of sustenance, I'm using a shotgun. Rimfire rifles are awesome for the sport and challenge, but I have more confidence in a pattern of #4s, especially on a moving target.

Top Bottom