• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I am trying some more BRCC. I'll report back later on how they are.

H7n5ilq.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got a french press for Christmas. Tried a couple times so far. Had some good results and some mediocre. Lots to play with as far as grind, coffee type, temperature and steep time.

anyone with experience I welcome your input.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I got a french press for Christmas. Tried a couple times so far. Had some good results and some mediocre. Lots to play with as far as grind, coffee type, temperature and steep time.

I have used a French press for the past several years.... once I got it "dialed in", it left me spoiled. Autodrips, K-cups, etc. etc. just don't hold a candle to a good French press coffee.... just my opinion of course.

I used to buy beans coarsely ground at a local grocery store.... New Orleans French roast. About a year ago, I got my hands on a conical coffee grinder. Now I just grind the beans right before throwing them in the French press..... it takes things up another notch.

Good luck with it.....just be warned that once you figure it out you might be ruined for all the other stuff passed off for coffee out there!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I'm in the same boat. Bought one for when I have time to make a "good" cup of joe. Have tried it several times, but have never made a cup out of it that was any better than my Keurig, even though I've read a half a dozen pages talking about how to get the best results. I like a strong, smooth cup of coffee, but it seems to elude me with the french press :dunno:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Have tried it several times, but have never made a cup out of it that was any better than my Keurig,

Pure heresy! LOL!!!

It takes some practice to get it dialed in. Just a couple of tips (not that you haven't heard a thousand of them already!)

-You want the beans to be a coarse ground....with some consistency. If the beans are not a consistent grind there will be a fair amount of variation in the brew.

-When you pour the water into the press, only fill it about half way. Then, stir the water through the ground beans so they are evenly soaked. Afterwards, fill the press the rest of the way up.

-Make sure you let the grounds steep for a sufficient amount of time.... usually I go at least 5 minutes.

-With some practice, you'll find that good cup of joe.... just keep track of what you are doing so that you can repeat it.... and it will be MUCH better than anything from a K-cup!

Don't give up and good luck!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Murdered Out. It is strong for sure. Not quite as smooth as my previous choices from BRCC but still pretty good.

For me, it will probably be perfect with butter and coconut oil.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I use GFS Italian Roast whole bean ground on the fine setting of a #7 Star Mill (circa1885) and dripped through a BUNN machine or perked in a 20 cup perk pot I have on the stove. I use 12 Tbs for 10 cups min. I do have one of those Frog presses...and it's useful for the time I only want a cup...which is almost never (and they are inscrutable in their function prior to that first cup of coffee).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

The ideal water temperature is 205-210 degrees F. To achieve that, I microwave the water until bubbles just start to form on the sides of the Pyrex measuring cup I use.

From there, you have several, dependent variables: grind coarseness, grind-water ratio, and steep time.

I find that the following works for me, for a strong, smooth cup of coffee:

18 oz water
    6 rounded tablespoons of beans
    Grind: same as for drip coffee
    Steep time: 4 minutes

Just make sure that the water is just *under* boiling (see above), and goes directly into the press upon heating. Pour the water, stir quickly, steep. When the timer goes off, press slowly, pour, and enjoy.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Pure heresy! LOL!!!

It takes some practice to get it dialed in. Just a couple of tips (not that you haven't heard a thousand of them already!)

-You want the beans to be a coarse ground....with some consistency. If the beans are not a consistent grind there will be a fair amount of variation in the brew.

-When you pour the water into the press, only fill it about half way. Then, stir the water through the ground beans so they are evenly soaked. Afterwards, fill the press the rest of the way up.

-Make sure you let the grounds steep for a sufficient amount of time.... usually I go at least 5 minutes.

-With some practice, you'll find that good cup of joe.... just keep track of what you are doing so that you can repeat it.... and it will be MUCH better than anything from a K-cup!

Don't give up and good luck!

The ideal water temperature is 205-210 degrees F. To achieve that, I microwave the water until bubbles just start to form on the sides of the Pyrex measuring cup I use.

From there, you have several, dependent variables: grind coarseness, grind-water ratio, and steep time.

I find that the following works for me, for a strong, smooth cup of coffee:

18 oz water
    6 rounded tablespoons of beans
    Grind: same as for drip coffee
    Steep time: 4 minutes

Just make sure that the water is just *under* boiling (see above), and goes directly into the press upon heating. Pour the water, stir quickly, steep. When the timer goes off, press slowly, pour, and enjoy.

Tried those tips, but will need to try again sometime. I had picked up a burr grinder, but when I took it apart to clean it I dropped a spring down the sink and now I'm left with a non-functioning paperweight. Oh well, will need to keep trying... :):

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    On the Black Beards Delight now. It's a good medium roast. Pretty smooth and a good flavor.

So far I think Beyond Black is my favorite.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a burr grinder(without the spring down the sink :):). I used the coarsest setting but not sure it's coarse enough.

I think I can get it dialed in and I appreciate the tips. I think I should try a little darker roast since I think you lose some due to the grind being so coarse.

I only mess with it on Saturday and Sunday AM. The rest of the week I make the cheap coffee at my office since no one else will. Drip coffee maker, with whatever people bring in. Usually the cheapest stuff they can find.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had 3 bags in my cart but by the time I added the shipping, it was still about $10 for 12 oz. I didn't check out. I guess I'm not destined to drink BRC. Too cheap I suppose...

Those are cool trick shots!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had 3 bags in my cart but by the time I added the shipping, it was still about $10 for 12 oz. I didn't check out. I guess I'm not destined to drink BRC. Too cheap I suppose...

Those are cool trick shots!

If you become a coffee club member, shipping is free and you can change your order as you see fit. It's a free club too. It's worth looking into.

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/pages/coffee-club

I get 2 bags every 30 days for $24. Yes it's not cheap but to me, it's worth it. The coffee is fantastic.

Sign up for the club. Order 1 bag. Once it arrives, try it out and see if it's worth it to you. If it isn't, just cancel everything.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I really like anything Kona. BUt the best coffee is anything you can make at home and not pay 5 bucks for from a store.

I brought some Kona coffee home with me when we visited Kona. Good stuff.

And then, a few years ago, a buddy of mine had a work trip to the Hawaii (poor guy). I had him bring some home for me. I could NOT believe the price increase in the time period between my trip and his trip. It was like $15-20 for half a pound of ground coffee. Holy crap.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Been mainly doing pour over and french press, and have those processes nailed. I'm getting really good coffee out of them at this point. Really hate anything that comes out of a plastic coffee maker now.

Now I'm playing with a percolator. It's good for what I call "grumpy old man coffee." Strong and just a bit bitter. Been getting the process down pretty well and getting most of the bitter out of it by keeping the perc really low. Kind of love it.

Top Bottom