• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Been mainly doing pour over and french press, and have those processes nailed. I'm getting really good coffee out of them at this point. Really hate anything that comes out of a plastic coffee maker now.

Now I'm playing with a percolator. It's good for what I call "grumpy old man coffee." Strong and just a bit bitter. Been getting the process down pretty well and getting most of the bitter out of it by keeping the perc really low. Kind of love it.

I got a kick one day when my son was explaining to me this "new" way to make coffee. He described the percolator. :)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    7857-bialetti-moka-express-espresso-maker_540x540.jpg
    these aren't expensive, easy to use and make a great cup of coffee.... if you like it stout.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Many lols.

The only issue with it is the water must be hot enough to steam in order to rise up, perc, and drop into the basket. Even if you barely have it percolating, it's still going to be just a bit more bitter than some other methods.

But there's something about it I really like. Reminds me of camping. And I do like a bit of bitterness in my coffee.

I got a kick one day when my son was explaining to me this "new" way to make coffee. He described the percolator. :)

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I'm thinking about a grinder and french press for the home. Any recommendations on a grinder to start off this journey? I'm not spending $200 on a burr grinder, so I'll pass on those recommendations :)

What about a pour over?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm thinking about a grinder and french press for the home. Any recommendations on a grinder to start off this journey? I'm not spending $200 on a burr grinder, so I'll pass on those recommendations :)

What about a pour over?

I have all three items plus some other coffee making equipment, lol.

You can get burr grinders for $40 that will work fine. I have an older Mr. Coffee burr grinder that works fine.

I have a french press that I received as a Christmas gift and I occasionally use it on the weekends. I am the only coffee drinker in my house and I typically only drink one cup in the morning. I am finding the french press has a steeper learning curve than other methods of making coffee. There are many variables that will affect the taste. I will use it when I have company that also only wants a cup or so. Once there are over 3 coffee drinkers or they like to drink it throughout the day, I get the coffee maker out.

Pour over is my go to method 7 days a week unless I break out the french press as above. They are super easy, virtually no mess and they make a good cup of coffee. I have a ceramic Kalita brand that I bought from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kalita-Lotto...F8&qid=1531916268&sr=1-3&keywords=kalita+wave

Some people are real coffee connoisseurs. Me, I can drink a good cup of coffee and I can drink Folgers. People at work say I drink "high faluting coffee" because I buy an Americano sometimes.:)

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    :yesway:

The "product description" for the Kalita: "? Wave series is able to enjoy the fragrance of scenery and when I pour hot water taste resulting in uniform, and placed easily easily at home drip coffee professional, such as put ? porcelain with magnificent. Dripper is excellent in high heat retention because it is a ceramic ? contact surface with the dripper from a small wave of 20 in (fold), hot water does not accumulate in the place where it was biased in the long filter, wave filter 155 is drip immediately ? It is easy to adjust evenly into flour even pour hot water and biased, because the bottom is flat wave Thorn of filter ? 2 ~ 4 persons "

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    :yesway:

The "product description" for the Kalita: "? Wave series is able to enjoy the fragrance of scenery and when I pour hot water taste resulting in uniform, and placed easily easily at home drip coffee professional, such as put ? porcelain with magnificent. Dripper is excellent in high heat retention because it is a ceramic ? contact surface with the dripper from a small wave of 20 in (fold), hot water does not accumulate in the place where it was biased in the long filter, wave filter 155 is drip immediately ? It is easy to adjust evenly into flour even pour hot water and biased, because the bottom is flat wave Thorn of filter ? 2 ~ 4 persons "

Lol. It does come directly from Japan with nothing in english in the box. I had a guy at work translate the little slip of paper that was in the box and it wasn't instructions, just a brief history of coffee.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I quit drinking coffee because it started giving me indigestion. I was drinking cheap coffee. It's been awhile so I'm getting serious about it. Bought me some Peets beans, a grinder, and a new coffee pot. Haven't had any problems so far.

35lzuxh.jpg

About 15 minutes from start to finish. No k cups, no filters, dump out the grounds and rinse out.

[video=youtube_share;h4vPG7CPX4g]http://youtu.be/h4vPG7CPX4g[/video]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The grocery had some Seattles Best on sale this week. I hadn't had it in awhile. Tasting pretty good.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Found myself in a Starbucks, and gave the nitro coffee a try.

Oh ho ho... mistake. Now I must find out how to make it for myself.

Is a whipped cream canister + N2O the easiest way to make your own nitro-infused coffee at home? Or are there better methods? Can you even buy N2O online?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The grocery had some Seattles Best on sale this week. I hadn't had it in awhile. Tasting pretty good.

Seattle's Best is my personal favorite. It seems to be getting a little harder to find than it used to be, but Walmart (of all places) has a pretty good selection.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Seattle's Best is my personal favorite. It seems to be getting a little harder to find than it used to be, but Walmart (of all places) has a pretty good selection.
    Our local grocery carries it all the time. It's regular price is about the same as Starbucks on sale there. I usually like the Starbucks a bit better but will never pay more for it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Is a whipped cream canister + N2O the easiest way to make your own nitro-infused coffee at home? Or are there better methods? Can you even buy N2O online?

You used to be able to buy the little "Whippet" cartridges (look just like C02 cartridges) at restaurant supply places, but I haven't looked for them since the 1970's. We didn't use them for making coffee, or whipped cream for that matter. There were punching ball balloons and a Coleman lantern pressurizing device involved. :):

ETA: What does the nitrous do for the coffee? I'm assuming it doesn't produce the same effect as inhaling it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Ha. I did the same thing a week or so ago.

Top Bottom