• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This might be a ludicrous question since I have never been in any scenarios stated below and I have only seen it on TV and at the gun range so here goes:

Other than the positives of having a laser or flashlight on you for SD or CCW or whatever, it's great pointing a laser at a target and hope you hit it or have a flashlight shine on it without missing but, wouldn't that also give your position away to the bad guy?

Most of the time, the bad guy would be running away and not confront you (ideal scenario) and have the law enforcement take care of it. But there is always that one who thinks they can get away with it and force the confrontation but if that person was smart, wouldn't he/she just stay put somewhere and hide and wait while you, with your lasers and flashlight, walk towards them with all that light emitting from you? If I was that bad guy, I would aim at the moving source of the light. I would think you have a 50/50 chance of hitting your target (provided the person had some knowledge of human anatomy and whatnot). This refers to evenings, nighttime, dark places, etc, since I think daytime confrontations would be a push.

With that said, why have a laser other than for gun range shooting? I would rather be proficient without one and practice to increase my senses (hear better if eyes are bad, detect odors, etc) and target shooting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What sort of self defense scenario are you envisioning where your attacker doesn't already know where you are?

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What sort of self defense scenario are you envisioning where your attacker doesn't already know where you are?

I don't have a specific scenario per se. I think it's more of a hypthetical question. If a would be attacker breaks in and realizes the victim has a gun and then the high stress level kicks in on both parties and suddenly a cat and mouse game is played. If the lights are on, it doesn't matter, both parties can see each other and you hope the victim is a better shot with his/her laser/flashlight. BUt, with the lights off, attacker can hide while the victim seeks. The advantage should be with the victim since it is their home and they should know every nook and cranny. However, the attacker has a trump card if he/she stays hidden in the dark and look for that laser beam or bight flashlight. If that attacker sees where it's emanating from, a good two or three rounds at that location might prove fatal to the victim. Again, perhaps I've watched too much TV but I've never seen anyone take advantage of this and I have seen many movies and shows or perhaps that's what the director wants since it is only a movie.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I don't have a specific scenario per se. I think it's more of a hypthetical question. If a would be attacker breaks in and realizes the victim has a gun and then the high stress level kicks in on both parties and suddenly a cat and mouse game is played. If the lights are on, it doesn't matter, both parties can see each other and you hope the victim is a better shot with his/her laser/flashlight. BUt, with the lights off, attacker can hide while the victim seeks. The advantage should be with the victim since it is their home and they should know every nook and cranny. However, the attacker has a trump card if he/she stays hidden in the dark and look for that laser beam or bight flashlight. If that attacker sees where it's emanating from, a good two or three rounds at that location might prove fatal to the victim. Again, perhaps I've watched too much TV but I've never seen anyone take advantage of this and I have seen many movies and shows or perhaps that's what the director wants since it is only a movie.

he's saying that its almost logically impossible to shoot someone in self defense when they dont know where you are....the exceptions would be like: hiding in a closet when the BG is looking for you....then it might be ok

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    1. Take a tactical illumination class. Really. The people who know how to use lights aren't using them in the way you think they are.

2. I'm not really sure on a decision to clear a house alone, at night, when the situation is not being pushed. I'm not saying you're not within your rights, I'm saying tactically there are better options.

3. Get a 500, 600, or 1000 lumen light. Have someone shine it in your eyes in the complete dark from 10 feet away. Then try focusing on something, such as you would if you were trying to aim.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    the difference between pointing your weapon at a target(or intruder) with laser and optical/iron sights is,

when using sights, you have to bring up your weapon behind your eye.

when using laser, you don't have to. at long as you have the beam pointed at where you want to shoot, pull the trigger.

regarding the lights, if you are on the receiving end of a bright strobe light, good luck seeing anything.

a lot of the weapon lights are momentary only. watch some of the training vid's.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Yeah it's better to just not be able to identify your target should You have to use your firearm in a dark environment.
    Lasers can allow for faster target acquisition and allow for unconventional shooting positions....training, training, training.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Your scenario is so far-fetched as too have no place in a conversation about anything other than a TV script. When two armed parties meet in any viable self-defense scenario, someone (or both) will commence to shooting, to surrendering, or to fleeing, you aren't playing hide and seek. Are you going to let an armed assailant run deeper into your house and then go look for him? Why? Do you live in a cave? Will ambient light not silhouette you? Are you a ninja? Will your breathing and footsteps not give you away? Searching a building is dangerous. Period. Even if you are trained and have a few buddies who are trained, are armored, and carrying long guns, things can do sideways real quick. However, doing it in the dark surely doesn't make it safer unless you have night vision equipment.

Both lights and lasers have on/off switches. Usually via pressure pad that is quick to turn on/off by simply applying more pressure or letting go. The training people are talking about will help you learn when to turn it on, when to turn it off, when to strobe it, how to avoid backsplash and blinding yourself, etc.

I prefer having two lights, personally. A weapon mounted light and a handheld on a wrist strap on the opposite hand.

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    Home defense long guns all wear lights. I've never been a laser fan, I find no use in the "intimidation" theory of lasers and at bad breath distances I'll stick with point shooting techniques. lasers do have a usefulness in dry fire training and quick and dirty BZO use. Just my 2 pence.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My nightstand gun has a mounted light. I also keep a flashlight on the nightstand. With a wife and two sons in the house, I'm not pulling the trigger on shadows. That shadow may be family, the handicapped boy next door or the teenager across the street coming home to the wrong house drunk. Or, it could be a genuine threat that needs aerated. A light helps me figure out which of those it is.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Lazers slow you down, you will spend time chasing the lazer to get it on target. Night sights appear on target and you are putting bullets down range. I have no night time visitors so I have no need to light up my target.

A small flashlight is great to carry in your pocket, my little 4sevens is 810 lumans and clips in my pocket, why would I not have it?!

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    I have crimson trace laser grips on my night stand gun (and carry gun). I also have MISERABLE eyes (-8.5 prescription). When I have my glasses off such as at nighttime, I cannot see anything other than colors. I had the thought of if someone came in to my house and I could either grab my glasses or my gun, i would go for my gun. At least I can focus on the red dot without my glasses on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lazers slow you down, you will spend time chasing the lazer to get it on target. Night sights appear on target and you are putting bullets down range. I have no night time visitors so I have no need to light up my target.

A small flashlight is great to carry in your pocket, my little 4sevens is 810 lumans and clips in my pocket, why would I not have it?!

Wait, so I have to chase a laser, but the night sights just automatically appear on the target? I'm curious how much time you've spent with a laser sight. And if you're a cat.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

lol, "Zimulated"

It must be Ze Germans!!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My nightstand gun has a mounted light. I also keep a flashlight on the nightstand. With a wife and two sons in the house, I'm not pulling the trigger on shadows. That shadow may be family, the handicapped boy next door or the teenager across the street coming home to the wrong house drunk. Or, it could be a genuine threat that needs aerated. A light helps me figure out which of those it is.

Here is your best answer for a reason to have a light on your gun IMO. Good post

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The ability to fire your weapon from cover without sticking your head out in the line of fire seems like a great idea to me. I figure once the bullets start flying he is going to know where I am anyway.

Crimson Trace has some videos of shooting positions that keep you behind cover while engaging the target. I recommend laser sights for any small pocket gun one might carry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It sounds like you've read or heard what other people have said about lasers and don't have much (or any) actually using one. Do you think red dot sights "slow you down" as well?

And you think it's acceptable to shoot someone without using a light to verify that they are a threat?

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    a spooky shadowy figure is not an identified and verified threat....Know your target and whats beyond it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a nice light/laser combo on my HD gun. Just having some trouble zeroing the laser. Until I get that figured out I just go with the light only. I feel much better having it handy for anything that goes bump in the night.

Top Bottom