• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I do see both sides of this argument. I am an old man (soon be 73) and keep enough night lighting in my home I could identify someone at any time. I have shot with lasers - didn't and still don't care for them in a home defense situation. Nor do I keep a flashlight on or near my gun (see first statement). However as I have stated many times, in my home I could not fire more than 30' at an intruder, that is the longest straight line of sight ~ standing in one corner of my living room and shooting through a doorway into the kitchen! I have been in many homes in my life and it is very rare to see one with longer "line of sight" then my 120 year old house. At that distance anyone that is proficient with a firearm should be able to hit a BG with every shot.

I can understand how Police officers may utilize a laser at far longer ranges outdoors. But as a citizen I sure wouldn't want to justify shooting someone at 60 or 100 feet as "self defense". Last week at the range, I was shooting my 45 ACP Colt at 25 yards, with mixed ammo (I just wanted to shoot it up), I put 5 of 6 rounds in the head of one of the plastic profile targets sold by my club. I feel certain I could put 100% in a BG's chest at that range. I have in the past tried "hip shooting" without sighting at a profile target at short range, about 50', as I recall I hit the target with every round, although had a fairly wide spread.

In the past I have shot moving targets, barricade range, metal at 25 yard, and at 50 and 100 yard ranges with handguns. In no case did I ever feel a need for a laser. I have no disagreement with those that feel it gives them an advantage, everyone is free to do their own thing!

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Well, I do see both sides of this argument. I am an old man (soon be 73) and keep enough night lighting in my home I could identify someone at any time. I have shot with lasers - didn't and still don't care for them in a home defense situation. Nor do I keep a flashlight on or near my gun (see first statement). However as I have stated many times, in my home I could not fire more than 30' at an intruder, that is the longest straight line of sight ~ standing in one corner of my living room and shooting through a doorway into the kitchen! I have been in many homes in my life and it is very rare to see one with longer "line of sight" then my 120 year old house. At that distance anyone that is proficient with a firearm should be able to hit a BG with every shot.

I can understand how Police officers may utilize a laser at far longer ranges outdoors. But as a citizen I sure wouldn't want to justify shooting someone at 60 or 100 feet as "self defense". Last week at the range, I was shooting my 45 ACP Colt at 25 yards, with mixed ammo (I just wanted to shoot it up), I put 5 of 6 rounds in the head of one of the plastic profile targets sold by my club. I feel certain I could put 100% in a BG's chest at that range. I have in the past tried "hip shooting" without sighting at a profile target at short range, about 50', as I recall I hit the target with every round, although had a fairly wide spread.

In the past I have shot moving targets, barricade range, metal at 25 yard, and at 50 and 100 yard ranges with handguns. In no case did I ever feel a need for a laser. I have no disagreement with those that feel it gives them an advantage, everyone is free to do their own thing!

I'm not 100% on a laser for my use either. However, in reference to you saying leave lights on, what about a power outage, whether caused by a BG or other circumstances? Food for thought.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have three guns with lights. One is a shotgun. It has a pressure switch that will turn it on as long as you keep pressure on it. With out that light you couldn't see the sites. I have had to use it a couple of times when someone was screwing around the barn. You put that light on someone and they know they are in trouble.

You can see where their arms are and what they are doing and they can only see an out line of you. Now that is from fifty yards with a 100 lumens light. Now I have to add that they didn't point a gun back at me or I would have shot. How that would have turned out only god knows.

I also have a Glcok 21 at my desk that I have answered bumps in the night that have turned out to be nothing or a animal. I only found out what was making the noise by using the light it has.

My wife has a laser on her Ruger LCP. That is what she wanted and it has told on her about poor trigger control. She thought it would be easier to use than irons. If the LCP had a better trigger she wouldn't be having the problem.

I maintain you have to know what you are shooting at. If you don't know what you are shooting at how can you shoot. You could shoot your kid, wife or dog. That for me would be hard to live with.

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I will take a laser anytime. If it gives me an advantage or other options for firing positions over an intruder you better believe I want it. I will take every advantage I can get in a life and death situation. I am extremely proficeint with all my guns but I might not be shooting from an ideal position like at the range. Lights and lazers are an advantage you use to survive, not a substitute for proper practice and training.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    My nightstand gun has a mounted light. I also keep a flashlight on the nightstand. With a wife and two sons in the house, I'm not pulling the trigger on shadows. That shadow may be family, the handicapped boy next door or the teenager across the street coming home to the wrong house drunk. Or, it could be a genuine threat that needs aerated. A light helps me figure out which of those it is.

Agree. This is the one best reason that I have a 300 lumen light mounted on my home defense pistol. If I'm shooting at someone I want to be 100% certain who that is. I've got teens, and they have friends. Sometimes I barely remember who's in my house some weekends. I need a good look.

Blinding someone suddenly with a 300 lumen light to the eyes would just be a bonus. Mine has a strobe as well, which coupled with a loud blast of Devo music would probably be very disconcerting.

Guitargallegos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Pendleton
    Agree. This is the one best reason that I have a 300 lumen light mounted on my home defense pistol. If I'm shooting at someone I want to be 100% certain who that is. I've got teens, and they have friends. Sometimes I barely remember who's in my house some weekends. I need a good look.

Blinding someone suddenly with a 300 lumen light to the eyes would just be a bonus. Mine has a strobe as well, which coupled with a loud blast of Devo music would probably be very disconcerting.

I'd never shoot without identifying my target AND what's behind it.

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I decided on a laser mounted on my HD gun. After practicing with it at home and the range, I really like how quickly I could get the red light on the target. I'm not a real experienced shooter, others with more experience may see the laser as unnecessary; I'm very glad I got it! I have also decided on a small tactical flashlight on my nightstand and several others throughout the house. I intend to practice with this set-up, and will most likely get additional training. For now, the laser and small loose light seemed most practical to me.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I decided on a laser mounted on my HD gun. After practicing with it at home and the range, I really like how quickly I could get the red light on the target. I'm not a real experienced shooter, others with more experience may see the laser as unnecessary; I'm very glad I got it! I have also decided on a small tactical flashlight on my nightstand and several others throughout the house. I intend to practice with this set-up, and will most likely get additional training. For now, the laser and small loose light seemed most practical to me.

Sounds like a good setup. Low light training will reinforce the advantages of a light or laser. When the BG's show up, I will take any advantage I can to win the fight.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    This might be a ludicrous question since I have never been in any scenarios stated below and I have only seen it on TV and at the gun range so here goes:

Other than the positives of having a laser or flashlight on you for SD or CCW or whatever, it's great pointing a laser at a target and hope you hit it or have a flashlight shine on it without missing but, wouldn't that also give your position away to the bad guy?

Most of the time, the bad guy would be running away and not confront you (ideal scenario) and have the law enforcement take care of it. But there is always that one who thinks they can get away with it and force the confrontation but if that person was smart, wouldn't he/she just stay put somewhere and hide and wait while you, with your lasers and flashlight, walk towards them with all that light emitting from you? If I was that bad guy, I would aim at the moving source of the light. I would think you have a 50/50 chance of hitting your target (provided the person had some knowledge of human anatomy and whatnot). This refers to evenings, nighttime, dark places, etc, since I think daytime confrontations would be a push.

With that said, why have a laser other than for gun range shooting? I would rather be proficient without one and practice to increase my senses (hear better if eyes are bad, detect odors, etc) and target shooting.

I don't like lasers at all, but if you think staring into a light that's shining at 600 lumens and strobing is going to be easy enough to fire into, you are wrong. If you've never had a good flashlight shined near you, you have no idea how bright these things actually are. You don't even have to shine it directly into their eyes for them to be blinded. Add in a strobe feature for disorienting them even more, and there's a good chance you won't even have to fire.

You always have a 50/50 chance of hitting your target. You either hit or you miss. Light, no light, laser, no laser. Doesn't really matter. The flashlight more or less stuns them and keeps them in place and as everyone knows, hitting a still target that's lit up with a light is a heck of a lot easier than hitting a moving target in the dark.

With all of that said, I don't own one because my funds just don't have the room for one right now. And I used to be like you... saying, well what's the point? Then my uncle and my cousin showed me just what those lights can do to a person. I have to say, having that shined into your eyes in a dark environment... not fun. They do make a difference and they do give you the advantage. You don't have to turn it on right away. You can wait until you've seen the agressor in the dark and then light them up. I know that as soon as I can afford a good light, I will be getting one. Heck maybe 2.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I picked up a couple Olight's off of eBay for around $56.00 each with shipping. It has been a great light and has 3 power settings up to 500 lumens. It also has the strobe feature. I have had them both for a couple years and they still work great. one I carry daily and the other is mounted to my AR.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    What lasers? Do you mean pure additional equipment? like this: high quality laser sight or inbuilt laser sight?
    My handgun is not available in laser sight, i intend to buy one. anyone experienced for this?
    I don't have one of those, but they look like they come directly from China. Judging from my experience with Chinese laser toys (of which I have 5 or 6) their quality is a real crapshoot. Having to shake the thing to make it come on is no big deal when you're just playing with the dog, but would be unacceptable to me if the SHTF.

I would not trust a laser on a defensive gun from anybody but one of the major makers - Crimson Trace, Laserlyte or Viridian.

Not to mention these seem WAY expensive for what they are. You should be able to find this kind of quality (say for a plinker) for about thirty bucks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can't find the video.

There is/was a video of police entering a home where a man held a woman hostage in the bedroom.
    The house was dark.
    The hostage was on top of the man in the bedroom.
    One of the police climbed a couch, came up the side of the doorway, ended the hostage taker.

This happened very fast.

It is making me rethink having a light on the gun.

Top Bottom