• Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yes, but so?

This is something that affects all society. It's not a woman issue. Or a mom issue. Seems like it would be more appropriate for the Carry and Self Defense Forum.

It's not a big deal that it's posted, I just don't se this as being relevant to the forum except for the very superficial connection of the sex of the victim.

You are right, but the OP was probably posting to discuss the need for more women to focus on personal defense just for situations like this. Members who choose to take the conversation in another direction can change the focus of the conversation.

I will leave it here for the moment, just in case the focus can get back to the OP. It can be moved if that doesn't happen.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    ...just in case the focus can get back to the OP. It can be moved if that doesn't happen.

I agree that more women need to be aware of this issue of safety. No doubt she thought she was safe in her neighborhood and her baby was safe, who would harm an infant? I don't think things will change from this. The court system is broken and no one (with the means to do so) seems to want to "fix" it. As a woman I learned very early that there is very little that can or will be done...after all, boys will be boys.

The only justice this mom might see is vigilante justice, if these kids are convicted of anything, if they are placed in adult prison, if they are ever in general population, if... Good luck with that. I hope it works out.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I agree that more women need to be aware of this issue of safety. No doubt she thought she was safe in her neighborhood and her baby was safe, who would harm an infant? I don't think things will change from this. The court system is broken and no one (with the means to do so) seems to want to "fix" it. As a woman I learned very early that there is very little that can or will be done...after all, boys will be boys.

The only justice this mom might see is vigilante justice, if these kids are convicted of anything, if they are placed in adult prison, if they are ever in general population, if... Good luck with that. I hope it works out.

The days are long gone when men would not hit women or even watch their foul mouths around children. More and more, women are going to be seen as easy targets, especially around grocery stores, day care centers and other places where women frequent. Women, yeah even more than men, need to be alert to their surroundings and prepared to protect themselves and their children.

I don't know if anything could have been done in this situation to save the child, but I would bet that mom would have found a way to retrieve her gun and take out that maniac if she had one. Even if she had a knife, I'm sure she would have made an attempt.

I understand how the other side uses tragedy to publicize the need for gun control, but in this case, I would certainly offer this as an example why every woman and mother should carry a gun.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I carry always and even in my own neighborhood, even though it is probably one of the "safest" I have ever lived in.

I don't trust this legal system to punish appropriatly for a crime or even provide the smallest level of justice for a crime like this. Let's be realistic, they caught the kids who did it and they catch a lot of criminals. It appears these criminals don't exactly fear being caught and punished since they could finish school, earn a degree or two and be released back into the society the have already removed one life from. Had she had a gun I would dearly hope that she could have been steady enough to have returned fire. Had a homeowner who had witnessed it been armed I would dearly hope they could have returned fire.

As a mom I hear many people knock gun owners. As a mom I do not forget the evil that is in this world with my children. I do hide the fact that I carry so that I don't have to hear their "opinions" time and time again. It's my legal right and my moral responsibility.

My heart breaks for this mom and I hope and pray I never have to learn whether I am capable of defending my children in this scenario.

dreingar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    You are right, but the OP was probably posting to discuss the need for more women to focus on personal defense just for situations like this. Members who choose to take the conversation in another direction can change the focus of the conversation.

I will leave it here for the moment, just in case the focus can get back to the OP. It can be moved if that doesn't happen.
    My reason for posting in the women's forum was simply the view most thugs have of women as helpless, easy targets.

6 or 7 news reports of young mothers with LC blowing the brains out of a thug or two and maybe the situation improves.

Chelise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Also, while some women might shy away from the idea of hurting an assailant, most mothers will not shy away from a freak trying to hurt their kids. Excellent reason to carry. If not for yourself, for your kids.

Staalbund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    You live in a society of humans and some humans shouldn't be allowed to live. So long as humans exist you will have to protect yourself against other humans. It's just how we are and morals are going down the drain so it is making everything worse.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Tragic is certainly an understatement.

IMO, since the perpetrators are underage, and parents ARE responsible for the actions of their children, the next step should be a pretty easy decision.

The parent(s) of BOTH these little scumbags should, likewise, be charged with the murder of Antonio. Whatever punishment is determined to be appropriate upon conviction should ALSO be fixed upon the parents.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    You live in a society of humans and some humans shouldn't be allowed to live. So long as humans exist you will have to protect yourself against other humans. It's just how we are and morals are going down the drain so it is making everything worse.

Now let's not jump to the conclusion that these thugs were "humans"...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Too bad mom couldn't put a bullet in these scumbags.
    To those of you saying the parents should be punished, charged with murder, etc: Have you ever known a bad kid that came from good parents? Some are just born messed up and/or evil. Not saying that's the case here, just thinking. There are lots of bad parents and way too many people who shouldn't be having kids. I remember a good parent I know getting CP called because she spanked her son after he darted away from her and into the street. I've known good parents to get called into court over and over again because of their out of control kids. The same kids would tell mom and dad they'd call the cops if they laid a hand on them. I'm not advocating beating your kids, but some take a heavier hand than others, and the law is not on our side there.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It is evil. Killing an infant is evil. Always. There was a time when kids of that age would be considered incapable of doing something like this. We have to ask ourselves why.

Top Bottom