• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    My understanding is that the idea of "tumbling" is misunderstood. If the bullet is traveling at above 2700 fps, when it enters the human body it will try to flip over to heave end first. When it begins to turn over, the stresses on the jacked are too much, and it breaks apart inside the body.

Ironically, it's at longer ranges when the velocity is less, that the bullet tends to punch neat holes.

What you are describing is termed, "yaw". The most basic example is when a toy top slows down and wobbles.

Bullets do counter-intuitive things, at fragmentation velocities :D

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    No, thanks. Shotgun, unless is it illegally short or a dogleg, is just too long to maneuver in a narrow hallway and the spread really is not great enough to significantly affect accuracy at close quarters. I prefer a handgun, or three. :draw: :D
    My BENELLI M1 SUPER 90 has a 18.5 inch barrel & my BERETTA 1201 FP has a 20 inch barrel, both will work just fine in the house, with more stopping power than a handgun;)

Mr. FiveseveN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    North Central

In my opiniona shotgun is an excellent choice for a home defense weapon. As far as racking the slide in an attempt toscare would be invaders might be foolish. If you are dealing with well armed hardened criminals you have just escalatedthe situation.

PersonallyI have a Mossberg 500 Cruiser loaded up with one slug followed by 2 3/4" lowrecoil 00 buckshot.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    If purp is outside then a shotgun is best defense. If I'm clearing a house I'd prefer my handgun w/light. Once I find him I'd like my shotgun.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I do not own anything that hits harder within 15 yards than my 12 gauge 870 loaded with 3" magnum 000 buck.

It is not my first choice for clearing a room, but it is first my choice for shooting whatever is breaking down the door while I'm calling 911.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    there is not a sound that is more chillen than the rack of a shoty to me

If your adversary is more well traveled, he or she, may respond better to the unmistakable clack of an AK-type rifle chambering a round.

However, should one wish to maintain the element of surprise, the AK-style rifle is most undesirable, and the Mossberg 500 is only slightly better. Any safety mechanism that incorporates large pieces of material, sliding by one another, is difficult to hush. On the contrary, any long gun having a safety activated by a push, or turn of a cylinder, and held in place via a spring-loaded detent, may be switched to a firing position very quietly, by using a slow, deliberate motion, in order to avoid any loud clicking noises.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I vote ne. Shotguns over penetrate big time. Nothing like dropping an intruder and then a loved one in the next room. I vote on leaving the shotgun for deer and duck hunting. In the 21st century there are much better options IMO.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    A shotgun is my pick also, there are lots of ammo choices to pick from. Mossburg 500's are super cheap. I also have a pistol on my night stand.

Dave

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    there is not a sound that is more chillen than the rack of a shoty to me

Why? If you or anybody else can provide evidence to this urban legend I'd love to hear it. Furthermore, you shouldn't have to chamber a round in a defensive weapon once a bad guy arrives. It should already be chambered.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    The M4-like carbine has 30 .223 rounds of ammo ....

Using the 2 3/4" shell, the 00B delivers 9 .36 caliber projectiles with one pull of the trigger.

It has been demonstrated many times that the .223/5.56 is bbasically a 22LR and that shot placement is absolutely critical. You better plan to shoot several times.

You need a 30 round magazine to equate 4 shotgun shells.

And I shoot both the shotgun and AR regularly. While you can state that you prefer the M4, you cannot state that it is 'better' at HD ranges.
    With regards to over penetration, you better be shooting frangible because any FMJ will not break up in drywall or plywood.

I don't think anybody would claim that one .223 will cause the damage that one 12 gauge buckshot shell will cause. However, the .223/5.56x45 is a helluva lot more than a .22 LR. The .223 will typically produce 10x the energy of a .22 LR. They're close in caliber but they're about as similiar as a 32 ACP and a .308 in that regard.

wxchick.h3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Southern IN
    ye! My boyfriend just bought a shotgun for our house and I can't wait to shoot it!! If I like shooting it... I might even get one for myself for home defense!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To each their own. Use what you are comfortable with and what you are confident with. Every weapon has its pros and cons. Personally I have much more practice with my handguns so that is what I am most confident with. Also depends on specific situation as to what I will grab.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Alot of interesting replies here.
    I personally look at my handguns for immediate home defense before my 12ga 870.
    With that said, Im very comfortable in using my 12 ga for room to room clearing and engaging of 'problems' to my family's safety.
    Good luck on making a decisioin.

Stay safe

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I'm not even a fan of shotguns really besides their versatility and you should never feel outgunned in a HD situation with a shotgun unless you encountered armored thugs.

Top Bottom