• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    When you hear people talking about how nobody hunts with an assault rifle, what do you say, or think quietly to yourself? I really enjoy using mine to hunt either coyotes, or deer (if i can where im at). has anyone here used theirs for other game? antelope, sheep, bear or elk?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Depending on what you mean by "assault rifle". AR-15 pattern sport rifles come in a variety of calibers suitable for most game on the North American continent.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I simply tell them the truth.

Of course people hunt with the AR15 every single day. For 'predator' hunters who's common prey is coyote and fox, the AR15 has become the most popular new rifle sold. For those of us in slug gun states, the AR15 loaded with big bore bullets like the 458 Socom and the 50 Beowulf are among the most popular rifles used. For prairie dog hunters and for feral hog hunters the AR15 is gaining rapid acceptance for field use and that the AR15 is actually the most popular rifle sold in America.

The 6.5 Grendel round was developed for the AR15 and is a fantastic long range hunting round. Over at the 6.5 Grendel Forums a guy used one to kill, with 1 shot, an antelope at 752 yards. Another dropped a bull elk at 405 yards with a 'through and through' shot through both shoulders and the elk fell where he stood. Feral hogs are a favorite game among those of us who shoot the 6.5 Grendel round out of our AR15s.

50% of all rifle sales are AR15 variants, many are used every day for hunting!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    friends and coworkers always seem surprised when they say stuff like 'i understand hunting rifles, but nobody uses those (ARs AKs SKSs...) to hunt' and I respond "actually I do!"

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I simply tell them the truth.

Of course people hunt with the AR15 every single day. For 'predator' hunters who's common prey is coyote and fox, the AR15 has become the most popular new rifle sold. For those of us in slug gun states, the AR15 loaded with big bore bullets like the 458 Socom and the 50 Beowulf are among the most popular rifles used. For prairie dog hunters and for feral hog hunters the AR15 is gaining rapid acceptance for field use and that the AR15 is actually the most popular rifle sold in America.

The 6.5 Grendel round was developed for the AR15 and is a fantastic long range hunting round. Over at the 6.5 Grendel Forums a guy used one to kill, with 1 shot, an antelope at 752 yards. Another dropped a bull elk at 405 yards with a 'through and through' shot through both shoulders and the elk fell where he stood. Feral hogs are a favorite game among those of us who shoot the 6.5 Grendel round out of our AR15s.

50% of all rifle sales are AR15 variants, many are used every day for hunting!

BINGO!!!!! Best answer possible.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    458 Socom is legal and deer are taken with it.

But that is besides the point.

Why do liberals hold up "hunting" as the "acceptable exception" to firearms ownership?
    Are they suddenly ok with the stalking and hunting of unarmed animals by the dominant species who can take them at will?
    Are they suddenly accepting of America's traditions of blood in the woods?

I doubt it.

But, seriously, ask yourself - why is there a claim that it is morally superior to own a firearm to kill an unarmed animal over a woman's right to own a firearm to give her a chance to fight off a rapist?

The reason is simple:

It is easier to believe that this world is filled with unarmed animals than it is to accept that it is filled with rapists.

And sometimes people confuse "morally acceptable" with "more comfortable to imagine".

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    458 Socom is legal and deer are taken with it.

But that is besides the point.

Why do liberals hold up "hunting" as the "acceptable exception" to firearms...
    It doesn't matter WHY.

It is their litmus test. So throw water on their argument by presenting the hunting facts and the fact that 50% of all rifles sold today are AR15 pattern guns and that the AR platform is, and has been, the most popular rifle in American for the past 10+ years. That tends to confuse the living hell out of them. They think that only gun-nuts have these weapons, but when they find out that they are so popular and that they are actually commonly used in hunting then they tend to STFU.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'd say ask this deer...

IMAG0145.jpg

Or this one...

IMAG0108-1.jpg

I really felt bad, I'm sure the unsuspecting deer though we were on our way to commit some senseless act of violence. I mean, nobody hunts with assault rifles, right?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The idea that hunting is somehow more noble or righteous than collecting or target shooting is going to be a continuing theme over the next few months in the media. This idea of pitting "hunters" against the rest of the gun owning community is coming straight out of the Kenyan gun control strategy and they plan to also enlist big retailers to get rid of private transfers and guns show purchases. We better all stick together. They want to divide us.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    "I don't hunt. I have a gun to defend myself from thieves, looters or anyone who wants to kill me or my family."

That usually ends the conversation.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I took mine prairie dog hunting a few years ago. Since the prairie dogs were infected with the bubonic plague (not kidding) the farmers are really thankful to have them exterminated from their fields. The 30 round mags were really helpful when we were walking around, so we didn't have to carry loose ammo.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    When you hear people talking about how nobody hunts with an assault rifle, what do you say, or think quietly to yourself? I really enjoy using mine to hunt either coyotes, or deer (if i can where im at). has anyone here used theirs for other game? antelope, sheep, bear or elk?

I know of very few people that even own assault weapons much less hunt with them. But I know of many that hunt with AR15's ect. My last coyote hunt was with an AR15. It was a blast.

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    I've never hunted with mine, I favor my 12ga slugs too much i guess, I just found this site today and i love it already....only one problem, im so use to being on facebook i keep looking for the like button...

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Since you brought it up, I must admit. I have hunted in Michigan, Canada and around Indiana for the last 50+ years and I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone hunting with an AR. :)

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    my response

you asked

Pauls_ndm86_hunt.jpg

dtmboar.jpg

jorgeboar.jpg

I personally dont hunt much anymore, but
    IMO it doesnt matter, as long as the shot is well placed and the game goes down as quick as possible.
    If I started hunting again you better believe i'd take my psl down south.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom