• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    That's like saying nobody goes shopping with a Corvette, a Harley, or a Hayabusa. So what. I can go shopping with whatever vehicle I want to. Never say "nobody does", because it isn't true, "somebody" does.

But first and foremost, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. Governor Cuomo of New York ranted just this past week about how "nobody needs more than 10 bullets to kill a deer". Again, that's irrelevant as the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting.

Cuomo, Feinstein, Obama, et al... have the same interpretation of the 2nd amendment that I (and most of you) do, the difference is that they don't like it.

Government has made a lot of promises (Social Security, Medicare, defined benefit pensions...) to a lot of people, and has taken a lot of money from those people in order to be able to fulfill those promises. They have spent the money and now can not afford to keep their promises, the promises WILL be broken. At some point it is reasonable to expect the people to demand accountability of the beaurocrats who have been in charge of these failed programs. The beaurocrats would really rather that these people were not armed.

The country is bankrupt. In the present tense, not at some theoretical point in the future. We have been paying our bills with printed money for a couple years now, it's a fraud, all frauds have a life span, this one is nearing its end.

I have said before, nothing is more dangerous than a broke desperate government, ours is out of money and very desperate.

We are circling the drain and our governments number one priority right now is gun control. Put two and two together.............

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Here in NY AR platforms are actually very popular with upstaters for both varminting and depredation hunts. Many are moving to high powered airguns for depredation though, since many sections of the state are either shotgun only, shotgun + archery, or no centerfires legal to carry afield during any open deer season. Probably about a 1/3 of the state WMU's (Wildlife Management Units) have some limitation on hunting with centerfires during deer season. But I see a lot of dead yotes with AR's laid across 'em on NY based forums.

DeltaLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    North Central Indiana
    I simply tell them the truth.

Of course people hunt with the AR15 every single day. For 'predator' hunters who's common prey is coyote and fox, the AR15 has become the most popular new rifle sold. For those of us in slug gun states, the AR15 loaded with big bore bullets like the 458 Socom and the 50 Beowulf are among the most popular rifles used. For prairie dog hunters and for feral hog hunters the AR15 is gaining rapid acceptance for field use and that the AR15 is actually the most popular rifle sold in America.

The 6.5 Grendel round was developed for the AR15 and is a fantastic long range hunting round. Over at the 6.5 Grendel Forums a guy used one to kill, with 1 shot, an antelope at 752 yards. Another dropped a bull elk at 405 yards with a 'through and through' shot through both shoulders and the elk fell where he stood. Feral hogs are a favorite game among those of us who shoot the 6.5 Grendel round out of our AR15s.

50% of all rifle sales are AR15 variants, many are used every day for hunting!
    Bingo my thought exactly

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    When you hear people talking about how nobody hunts with an assault rifle, what do you say, or think quietly to yourself? I really enjoy using mine to hunt either coyotes, or deer (if i can where im at). has anyone here used theirs for other game? antelope, sheep, bear or elk?

Assuming that this conversation is taking place in the context of gun regulations, you reject their premise altogether. What part is it of "Congress shall make no law" that is so hard to understand? If you are going to agree to debate on their terms you are going to lose the debate. The 2nd amendment forbids Congress from regulating firearms, their intended use is not relevant.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    No offense meant David, but there is no usage of those words in the Second Amendment. It's more than just a technicality, when it is in fact the first four of the twenty seven words in the entire amendment that give rise to the entire issue.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    When you hear people talking about how nobody hunts with an assault rifle, what do you say, or think quietly to yourself? I really enjoy using mine to hunt either coyotes, or deer (if i can where im at). has anyone here used theirs for other game? antelope, sheep, bear or elk?

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting, but there are dozens of threads discussing that in great detail. The original poster asked a simple question.

As President of the National Predator Hunters Association I have met, hunted with and represented predator hunters across the US that use "Assault Rifles" in their hunting daily. Predator calling is one of, if not THE, fastest growing segment of Hunting in North America and semi-automatic rifles are a very popular selection for aspiring predator callers joining our ranks.

That said, I never was much of an "AR Guy" until roughly 2006 when I came across a good deal on a fur-friendly rig and gave it a try. Since then, I've harvested nearly every predator East of the Mississippi River with an AR-15 and a dump-truck load West of that river. I've also taken various deer, exotics, elk, prairie dogs and much more with these rifles.

Personally, it pisses me off when politicians say "Nobody hunts with an assault rifle". Of course, every other phrase out of their mouth attacking my 2nd Amendment Rights also **** me off.... but on a personal level, I feel it's a great misrepresentation to say NOBODY hunts with one. MANY predator callers do.

DSC_0140.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

photobucket-5347-1334941880806.jpg

111111.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    No offense meant David, but there is no usage of those words in the Second Amendment. It's more than just a technicality, when it is in fact the first four of the twenty seven words in the entire amendment that give rise to the entire issue.

None taken, but changing it to "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." does not change my point.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    None taken, but changing it to "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." does not change my point.

Very true, and I knew entirely what you meant. I think it important to keep our words and terms accurate though, as it helps lend credibility to any argument. And as the militia clause is the ultimate culprit behind the farcical understanding of the second championed by the gun grabbers, it is best to define and frame the argument in the terms it is coined.

Other than that, stay good, stay warm, and keep your powder dry.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    When you hear people talking about how nobody hunts with an assault rifle, what do you say, or think quietly to yourself?

1. No one hunts with a 65" TV, iPad, or Corvette, either. So, what's your point? That the prerequisite to banning something is that we don't use it to hunt?

2. This is America, when was the last time you needed something?

3. None of the nine firearms I own were purchased with hunting in mind, and hunting has nothing to do with self-defense.

chase317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    I've never hunted, but all these guys talking about taking game at hundreds of yards is making me really jealous that I never bought an AR when I had the chance. I love my Izhmash AK, but damn... :(

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I ask them "What makes you think you can't hunt with an assault rifle?" It's a gun isn't it? It shoots bullets don't it? Then I go on to tell them that the AR15 is available in about 50 different calibers, including a crossbow configuration (that's right, they can shoot arrows too) and can and ARE used to hunt everything from squirrel, to rabbit, to deer, to moose, to wild pigs, to coyote, to ground hogs, etc. Then I ask them who told them that the most popular rifle in America can't be used for hunting?

I try to be polite but also make sure that they come off realizing that they know nothing at all about the subject, because anyone who says you can't hunt with a gun because of the shape of the gun doesn't know a damn thing about guns or hunting.

Then I ask them why they feel the need to ban a rifle that is almost never used in a crime, but is used often for hunting, target shooting, competitions, defense, & collecting? I ask them if they know that one of the most used weapons in gun murders is the 5 shot pump shotgun that is very popular with hunters.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I hunted down and destroyed some water filled gallon jugs with my 458 SOCOM today. They explode most spectacularly. Of course I only use low capacity 10 round mags:D so it's not really an assault rifle. ;)

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Guns aren't just for hunting...from "assault rifles" to revolvers and bolt actions. We have the right to keep and bear arms. Preferably the same as the military uses. Anyway, hunting has nothing to do with it. That's what I tell the anti's. My own family too.

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    First, The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

Second, I do not own an M4, M16, or any assault rifle, but if I did I would see no problem with hunting in semi-auto mode.

I do regularly hunt with rifles in the AR platform, but they have nothing to do with the question on assault rifles.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I don't own an AR type rifle or hunt much anymore,but the question is moot.As long as I am not doing anything against the law and shooting responsibly,it's none of anybody's damn business.:twocents:

Top Bottom