When do I begin to like my Glock?..........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I resisted getting a Glock for a long time. When I finally did, it was a Vickers edition G17 from a post here on INGO. I didn't like it at first, but once I undercut the trigger guard it fit my hand a lot better. How a gun fits in my hand has a lot to do with how well I shoot with it. That, and the trigger. This one also came with a Vogel trigger. That's a big reason I was always such a 1911 fan. Perfect fit to my hand, and a nice crisp single action trigger. I shot my 1911 better, but the Glock does carry more ammo, and a light... Six in one / half dozen in the other... Both fine weapons.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've only shot a few G****s. They just don't fit my hands well at all. The grip angle is wrong for me too. Although slow plinking with a G20 is fun.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My EDC is a Glock 19 (original, I know...).

I'm not in love with the pistol, but that's part of the reason I chose it for carry.

It's simple, easy to train to use, reliable, easy to clean, parts and repair are readily available, so are accessories. It's the 1999 Honda Civic of handguns.

BUT...I have no attachment to that pistol. It's a tool intended for very specific circumstances. I know that if I ever had to use a gun to defend myself the police are going to take it until after I'm cleared of any wrongdoing (if I ever get it back at all). I can get another one for like four hundred bucks if I never see that one again...works and feels the same as one one I have on my person right now.

I was introduced to Glock in the late 1980's when I was an impressionable youth, and I've owned one (or more) just about my whole life. I'm glad that there are more choices now. I know people who carry a Smith or Springfield for same of the same reasons I carry a Glock, but those guns work better for them. I've never found the others to be any better than the familiar, so I keep going back to Glock for carry guns.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The undercut was critical to liking Glocks for me too. Without the undercut, I just don’t like shooting them as that fat trigger guard hits my knuckle and kind of sucks. They are much easier to shoot once that area is relieved a bit. I now consider a Glock to come with an over-molded grip that should be cut to fit. YMMV. :)

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    I was issued a G22 in the late '90's because that is what my department was using. I took it the range, fired about 1000 rounds of department issued ammo through it, and was like "is that it?". It wasn't it for me. I went to my boss, and convinced him that I could better serve the agency and the people we were sworn to protect if I could use my 1911 instead. He asked what would I do for spare ammo in a firefight since all of the other officers has Glocks? I told him that I would carry a few spare Glock mags on my belt for them to use, but if I ran out of ammo for my 1911 he better call for the National Guard. I still carry my 1911.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The undercut was critical to liking Glocks for me too. Without the undercut, I just don’t like shooting them as that fat trigger guard hits my knuckle and kind of sucks. They are much easier to shoot once that area is relieved a bit. I now consider a Glock to come with an over-molded grip that should be cut to fit. YMMV. :)
    Undercut does make a huge difference and I do all my keepers but this feels even better. It's like it was molded for MY hand.
    YUtWjXV.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The number of them out there, along with wide acceptance by LEO departments is what sold me on the platform. The gear availability for every option known along with aftermarket and second hand market are also huge.

If little girls and high end competitors can be at the top of their game shooting them, you ought to be able to figure it out to a reasonable degree out also?

From the pepper standpoint, every person should train to shoot a Glock well. It might be the only option you have at the time?

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    After 30 years of shooting handguns I finally gave in and bought my first Glock last year - a used G42. It along with the 43 and later 48 were the only Glocks that fit my hand very well - of courser all single stack pistols. Earlier this year I added my second Glock - the G48 - really like that one. Bought it at first to shoot in the Glock match at Camp Perry last month but will try next year.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Undercut does make a huge difference and I do all my keepers but this feels even better. It's like it was molded for MY hand.
    YUtWjXV.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

That is nicely done

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If little girls and high end competitors can be at the top of their game shooting them, you ought to be able to figure it out to a reasonable degree also?
    I hadn't considered it from that perspective bw but you have a very valid point. I realize most of the people you are talking about could be competitive with almost any brand but they compete at the top level with ugly ol Glocks so they can't be all that difficult to shoot.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    YUtWjXV.jpg

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Have you ever seen one of those Glocks with the undercut break?

The original trigger guard is pretty thick but I've seen some modified ones where it now looks like it's way too thin and fragile.

This one seems really well made.
    I guess you just need to know how much material you can safely remove.

Injess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Columbus
    I have and had the same experience. I bought in to the hype. There are things I like about Glocks like the caliber selections, interchangeable parts, high capacity magazines, huge aftermarket support, but I was overall disappointed with the firearm. reloading for glock's is a nightmare because you have to debulge the brass or it fails to fully go in to battery. If you have to move the sights, because they're plastic, they will typically be deformed in the process of moving them, even with a sight pusher tool. I've seen light primmer strikes with them. Brass to the face and not because of limp wristing, once I installed a gen 4 ejector, the problem was fixed. I could never get the trigger pull to a point I was satisfied with. The 3.5 lbs connectors makes the trigger feel like a single stage trigger, which I absolutely can not stand. The only thing I dislike more than the firearm itself is the people who love them, they regurgitate internet myths and rumors and pass them off as fact. Glocks are like Leatherman multi-tools, they can be a lifesaver if that's all you have, but given a choice between a leatherman Phillips bit or a Phillips screwdriver, I'm going with the Phillips screwdriver.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have and had the same experience. I bought in to the hype. There are things I like about Glocks like the caliber selections, interchangeable parts, high capacity magazines, huge aftermarket support, but I was overall disappointed with the firearm. reloading for glock's is a nightmare because you have to debulge the brass or it fails to fully go in to battery. If you have to move the sights, because they're plastic, they will typically be deformed in the process of moving them, even with a sight pusher tool. I've seen light primmer strikes with them. Brass to the face and not because of limp wristing, once I installed a gen 4 ejector, the problem was fixed. I could never get the trigger pull to a point I was satisfied with. The 3.5 lbs connectors makes the trigger feel like a single stage trigger, which I absolutely can not stand. The only thing I dislike more than the firearm itself is the people who love them, they regurgitate internet myths and rumors and pass them off as fact. Glocks are like Leatherman multi-tools, they can be a lifesaver if that's all you have, but given a choice between a leatherman Phillips bit or a Phillips screwdriver, I'm going with the Phillips screwdriver.
    Don't hold anything back, tell us what you really think? :) Obviously it's not perfection for you, I'm curious what you do prefer and what shooting background gives you such strong opinions?

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO M&P & Glock certified Armorer[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The ‘Brass to face’ is a real thing and has frustrated me with the G30. I don’t get it with the .40 Glocks or my G21 and don’t recall it with either of my G20s. My G19s did it but not as consistently as the G30s do. The only thing that I’ve found to date that resolves that effectively is loading .45 hot. Commercial target ammo has about a 30 to 40 percent BTF factor but hotter reloads that mimic SD ammo don’t BTF for me. I have a collection of extractors from my tests but no matter what I tried, I had BTF with target ammo.

My thinking right now is that it’s a slide velocity issue. The fact that I don’t hear as many people with a G30S complain supports that since the G30S uses a lighter G36 slide. What I do currently is to sort my reloading brass and use the small primer .45 to load the hotter G30 practice ammo. It helps me to tell them apart and as a bonus, I don’t feel the need to find every case with small primer brass as I do with normal .45 brass.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The ‘Brass to face’ is a real thing and has frustrated me with the G30. I don’t get it with the .40 Glocks or my G21 and don’t recall it with either of my G20s. My G19s did it but not as consistently as the G30s do. The only thing that I’ve found to date that resolves that effectively is loading .45 hot. Commercial target ammo has about a 30 to 40 percent BTF factor but hotter reloads that mimic SD ammo don’t BTF for me. I have a collection of extractors from my tests but no matter what I tried, I had BTF with target ammo.

My thinking right now is that it’s a slide velocity issue. The fact that I don’t hear as many people with a G30S complain supports that since the G30S uses a lighter G36 slide. What I do currently is to sort my reloading brass and use the small primer .45 to load the hotter G30 practice ammo. It helps me to tell them apart and as a bonus, I don’t feel the need to find every case with small primer brass as I do with normal .45 brass.

No knock but this is another (albeit small) example of the "G***" is perfect rhetoric.
    Nothing is perfect. Nothing.
    But knowing 88 as I do I believe sorting these things out is part of the enjoyment we get as tinkering shooters.....:):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have progressed through the years. Started with revolvers, Glocks and Browning Hi Powers. Then I proceeded to purchase many other pistols. Years later, decent job, stability I have finally landed back in the camp of Glocks and better quality 1911s. I see those most frequently in the holsters of professionals then any other gun. If I have developed any fan boy following over the years it would be for the Walther P99 and PPQ. Otherwise Glocks and 1911 will be my first choices because they are the most prevalent.

Glock grip angle. It is different. A lot like a 1911 with humped main spring housing. People say the angle isn’t natural but I just mentioned older 1911s and also not unlike revolvers.

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    That undercut certainly looks good. Is the stippling and undercut worth trying? If I still don't like it will that hurt resale? hmmm, decisions. Oddly enough I really like 1911's and the grip angle feels great. Honestly not sure specifically what I don't like about the Glock......well beside the trigger, I guess I was just hoping to be blown away (no pun intended).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That undercut certainly looks good. Is the stippling and undercut worth trying? If I still don't like it will that hurt resale? hmmm, decisions. Oddly enough I really like 1911's and the grip angle feels great. Honestly not sure specifically what I don't like about the Glock......well beside the trigger, I guess I was just hoping to be blown away (no pun intended).

I feel that a trigger guard undercut helps on a Glock. All it takes is some sandpaper wrapped around a magic marker and a little bit of time.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Personally I really like the stippling but the deep border is much more difficult to do and more expensive. I won't have another one done with the deep border. I don't concern myself about resale since Glocks are Glocks and I don't plan on selling, it's my carry gun. Trigger is a simple fix and it can be as good if not better that any striker fired pistol.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Top Bottom