When do I begin to like my Glock?..........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Have you ever seen one of those Glocks with the undercut break?

The original trigger guard is pretty thick but I've seen some modified ones where it now looks like it's way too thin and fragile.

This one seems really well made.
    I guess you just need to know how much material you can safely remove.

I've never seen one break but I have seen them thinner and more fragile that I would prefer. It's a pretty tough Polymer but it is just a matter of not taking too much off.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So I have been shooting all my life but much more frequently in the last 2 years, I would say 4-6 times a month and dryfire practice 4x per week. I also just recently got into USPSA and am loving it. My main pistol is a SIG P320 X5 and also a full size P320. I have a couple S&W's, a Ruger, and a Beretta. Most recently I bought a G45 and was very excited to own my 1st Glock. Fast forward I have a good amount of range time with it and I am just not crazy about it. My buddy that has a couple Glocks absolutely loves it. To me it is so meh. I want so bad to love the gun but even though I can shoot it accurately I would just rather shoot any other gun I own. Anyone else have the same experience?

The definition of glock in the dictionary would be: Meh

Used to be a crazy amazing wonder firearm, now days it's just an antiquated and over rated platform, in a sea of firearms that offer exactly the same reliability with countless other enhancements.

I'm pretty sold on walther out of the modern striker fired guns. They have an element of specialiness, while giving you all the benefits of a glock. Overall, just a deeply refined and improved glock. I also find the beretta APX to be a pretty special firearm.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The definition of glock in the dictionary would be: Meh

Used to be a crazy amazing wonder firearm, now days it's just an antiquated and over rated platform, in a sea of firearms that offer exactly the same reliability with countless other enhancements.

I'm pretty sold on walther out of the modern striker fired guns. They have an element of specialiness, while giving you all the benefits of a glock. Overall, just a deeply refined and improved glock. I also find the beretta APX to be a pretty special firearm.

:laugh:LOL, I'll stick with my antiquated over rated firearm since most would consider me antiquated, that must be why I like it. I've learned "deeply refined and improved" can sometimes be doublespeak for an excess of unnecessary parts to break.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    When do you start to like your Glock huh... well personally I’ve found the p320 and other sigs... between sigs and 1911 platforms I’ve divested all my glocks down to only my Glock 23 and 19. I just can seem to part with those two “classics”? although they are not my favorites.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    It is what it is, I like my G-45, but I just purchased an as new G-17 3rd gen NHTP is putting new Glock night sights on to soon, and if that does not change it's point of impact, so far this pistol is very accurate for me, and is a keeper. In fact over the years since 1992, I have rarely shot or have seen a Glock I do not like, well I don't mean the bubba'd custom stippleicious ones.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Some people have GDS (Glock Derangement Syndrome). They hate Glocks, they want you to hate Glocks, they want everybody to hate Glocks. These people probably should not try to like Glocks since their prejudice will not let them.

They like to pick on the grip angle a lot. I can shoot pretty well with anything from a Luger to a Tokarev TT-33. I feel very fortunate that my hands can use screwdrivers and other hand tools and power tools with all sorts of grip angles quite well. When using silverware I can hit my face most of the time. I am happy I don't have to measure the degrees of grip angle to see if I can use something.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    ...I bought a G45 and was very excited to own my 1st Glock. Fast forward I have a good amount of range time with it and I am just not crazy about it. My buddy that has a couple Glocks absolutely loves it. To me it is so meh. I want so bad to love the gun but even though I can shoot it accurately I would just rather shoot any other gun I own.

Some people just aren't meant to have the very best.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I tried a 17 Long Slide for competition shooting a few decades ago, and sold it soon after. People can shoot them, and shoot them well. I likely could have adapted to them, but I chose to stay with the several I already liked. I was reloading the ammo to get the recoil down as low as possible while still cycling and knocking down the plates. It was a speed shoot at the time, and speed was everything. The first thing I noticed was the very small surface the slide rode on, seemed very fragile although they have proven reliable over the years. The second thing I noticed was the grip angle, every single time I would point the pistol at a target, I would have to make a deliberate effort to point the gun down a bit, it was like having to aim the pistol then reaim the pistol. Pain in the butt because every other pistol I owned shot great with the same grip angle. I did not want every pistol I owned to have one grip angle, then have to adapt to a Glock every time I shot it. Most pistols have a robust slide stop so whatever the mainspring doesn't slow down, gets slammed into that stop. When I loaded the ammo a bit lighter for my use it would jam, but it wouldn't jam in my other 9mm pistols. I ordered several Glock mainsprings to try to work a load that I liked with a spring that would cycle the pistol. My other pistols would eat everything from the hottest loads to the lightest. For personal protection, I insist on carrying with a round in the chamber, but I also like a single double action so that eliminates the Glock at the time, and unfortunately most pistols made today. I carried a smith and wesson shield for a while only because I wanted something compact and I couldn't find any single double actions that compact, but I always felt like I had to be extra careful with it due to it being a striker fired pistol. I always felt like I had a single action with no safety, since the trigger being accidentally pulled lightly would fire the gun. Yea, I know, don't pull the trigger, but sometimes things happen. That is why so many accidental discharges happen with striker fired pistols vs revolvers or SA / DA pistols. My SA / DA's are much harder to pull at 10 lbs and a long pull. As mentioned already, Glock has oversized chambers, so they will bulge the case when fired which works the brass more and makes it harder to reload.

A few of my friends who are also excellent shooters own them, carry them, and I understand the reasons they do. I know my pistol is much more expensive to lose if God forbid I end up having to use it in self defense. I figure if I lose it in a self defense shooting, it did it's job and I have much more to be thankful for and to worry about than the police holding onto my pistol while a court determines if I will keep my freedom. I assume it will all work out eventually, but it's not a perfect world and innocent men do go to prison sometimes. I don't ever plan to use mine unless it is life or death, and then I have no choice but to hire a good lawyer and hope a jury of my peers will understand it was necessary.

You may like it after owning it a while, for me the grip angle being different than every other pistol I owned was the deal killer. Good luck, and it should be worth selling if you finally decide you don't like it.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Buy one of those green felt Tyrolean hats with a feather in the hat band. Start eating elderberries. Take up yodeling. Give it a few months.

Injess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Columbus
    When do I begin to like my Glock?........
    If your like me, it will happen the day you sell it.

LOL. My advice to people interested in glocks is to try it before buying it. I'm sure you'll run in to someone who owns one and will let you shoot it, and shoot it for a while before jumping in to one. I personally think they're over priced for what you're actually getting. I don't like buying a pistol knowing the trigger feels like a staple gun and the plastic sights will have to be swapped out immediately after buying it. Just don't let someone talk you in to buying one with talk of unparalleled reliability and other such nonsense. I typically refer to these people as "Glocksuckers".

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    LOL. My advice to people interested in glocks is to try it before buying it. I'm sure you'll run in to someone who owns one and will let you shoot it, and shoot it for a while before jumping in to one. I personally think they're over priced for what you're actually getting. I don't like buying a pistol knowing the trigger feels like a staple gun and the plastic sights will have to be swapped out immediately after buying it. Just don't let someone talk you in to buying one with talk of unparalleled reliability and other such nonsense. I typically refer to these people as "Glocksuckers".

Staple gun is a very good comparison! Well stated.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There’s actually a thread over on GT right now that is discussing how the Glock is over priced in today’s market. Amazingly, most people on there agree. Close to $600 should not buy a gun with plastic sights no more than a $900 1911 should not come with a plastic MSH.

Personally, I like the plastic sights that come on Glocks. But not for a gun that costs over $450. Plastic sights let you shoot while the sights of your choosing are on their way. The money saved should come off the price of the gun. I have a box full of nice sights that I don’t like. I’d love to have saved a bit of money when by getting the gun with dovetail protectors as Glock delivers theirs. Just don’t charge full price for a gun with a $2 set of sights.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I remember when I shot my first Sig and HK, I would never own a Glock. They are good guns, proven performance just not for me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So I have been shooting all my life but much more frequently in the last 2 years, I would say 4-6 times a month and dryfire practice 4x per week. I also just recently got into USPSA and am loving it. My main pistol is a SIG P320 X5 and also a full size P320. I have a couple S&W's, a Ruger, and a Beretta. Most recently I bought a G45 and was very excited to own my 1st Glock. Fast forward I have a good amount of range time with it and I am just not crazy about it. My buddy that has a couple Glocks absolutely loves it. To me it is so meh. I want so bad to love the gun but even though I can shoot it accurately I would just rather shoot any other gun I own. Anyone else have the same experience?

Everyone is different, which is why so many manufacturers can be sustained by the gun community.

I grew up with revolvers, SA's mainly, so the Glock grip-angle feels quite comfortable to me.
    Over the years, I've played around with several different manufacturer's pistols, but the Glock design just fits best with my natural point angle.
    My wife, she prefers Beretta and H&K...if it works for you, use it!

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence

Blasphemy! I'm gathering torches and pitchforks as we speak. Honestly, I grew up in a time when you either carried a revolver in 357 or a 1911 because there really wasn't much more to be had. First Glock was a 21 ( when they first came out ) and didn't think much of it. With so many options nowadays why do I still have a Glock? Simplicity. When all else fails and shtf, I know I'll still find some Glock mags/parts/accessories to cabbage and keep going.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Blasphemy! I'm gathering torches and pitchforks as we speak. Honestly, I grew up in a time when you either carried a revolver in 357 or a 1911 because there really wasn't much more to be had. First Glock was a 21 ( when they first came out ) and didn't think much of it. With so many options nowadays why do I still have a Glock? Simplicity. When all else fails and shtf, I know I'll still find some Glock mags/parts/accessories to cabbage and keep going.

It’s the simplicity of the platform that I find attractive too. My collection consists of Glocks, CZs and 1911s. Each brings something to the table. The CZs are perfection in a handgun realized, the 1911 is about craftsmanship and history and the Glocks are simplicity in all forms. Simple construction, simple form and simple function. A good CZ 75B will run $1k after tuning and the 1911s start north of there. But, the best Glock around can be picked up for about $350 used now days.

Glocks work better for me in .40 and .45 where as CZs are my go-to 9mms.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've only had two Glocks, both full size-- one G22G4, the other a G20SF.

Utterly reliable, as accurate anything I'd be shooting (operator limited). HUGE aftermarket-- which I find odd for such a "perfect" handgun.

When I went to 9mm, I went to P320. It had early reliability issues (light primers), but was ergonomically superior to my Glocks and I believe when mature is likely a superior overall platform. After it broke in, the P320 was utterly reliable.

I ditched strikers for a DA gun and went to P-07. Utterly reliable like the glocks, more accurate for me, superior ergonomics and (JMO) a safer, more ND/AD resistant EDC option. The SA trigger on the P-07 is perfectly workable for EDC use, even if the DA is pretty stacky and stiff.

I'm finding I really like hammer guns.

I'd still consider another Glock because I think EVERYONE needs a Glock 9mm just because, and also because I don't think there's a better overall 10mm platform out there than the G40 MOS. Apart from the ubiquity of the 9mm glock platform and the excellence of the 10mm Glock, I have little use for a Glock that can't be satisfied as well or better than another option.

Top Bottom