• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Academy Pad™ Ballistic Containment System

This thread started me thinking about methods to help with the "what if" concern and my search has brought these products to light. Kind of pricy but what is the cost for safety and portabilty. What do you think? Any alternatives other than a bucket of sand?

Safe Direction Academy Pad

This company has panels that may be used, wasn't sure if these would stand up to a point blank shot as demostrated with the Safe Direction pad.

Bullet Proof Panels Bullet Proof Shields and Bulletproof Inserts to make your own bulletproof backpack and body armor gear

jodus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    new castle
    just a side note here but it is probably wise to keep your hand away from the ejection port as the ejector can also cause detonation of the cartridge when unloading.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If a person cannot learn and understand and remember the Four Rules he has no business anywhere near a firearm and no "device" is going to prevent something very bad from happening. I don't understand people who say "it happens" as if we're all careless idiots. S*#t happens doesn't apply to firearms or chainsaws or anything that can kill or maim a person.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    So, what you're saying is that sxxt happens, and we should be AWARE that sxxt happens, and that THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED, and keep our muzzles pointed in a safe direction, always, but ESPECIALLY WHEN LOADING OR UNLOADING? Is that right?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Properly designed and maintained weapons do not discharge without negligence.

I had a k98 Mauser discharge when I flipped the safety off from 'safe.'

I checked it out. I had a gunsmith check it out. I sat at home, and with the gun empty, flipped that safety on and off thousands of times, and it never dropped the firing pin again, nor did it ever happen again during the years I had it. It actually happened with commercial (not surplus) ammo.

Was it "properly maintained?" Well, it needed no maintenance to "return to operating condition." Nothing was broken, worn, or gummed up.

Was it "properly designed?" I dunno. I'm not a design engineer. That design has been around for a 'few years,' and I don't remember seeing any warnings that it's a faulty design which should never be used.

Top Bottom