Where have all the good deals gone, long time passing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    IMHO, we should have had much much stricter requirements for participation in the classifieds from the beginning. Strict enough to keep classifieds a part of OUR INGO community vs the flippers and traders that now dominate our classifieds.

Used to be that you could get a fairly good grasp of who you were dealing with by post history. Now the majority of our classifieds posters have been here for years, but have less than 500 posts. And their post history is three month's of the same post:

WTS/WTT: Bump

It's sad when the occasional thread gets started about gunbroker or armswhatever how many INGO users won't look to buy or sell here in INGO's classifieds due to the poor reputation our classifieds have developed.

A lot of us predicted this long ago. We shouted from the rooftops at every opportunity in every related thread to please, please, make the rules less flipper/trader-only friendly. Sadly, our predictions have come true.

Hopefully all is not lost. Maybe the classifieds only folks will find the lack of classifieds activity so unpleasant that they will seek other venues. Then again, maybe the new owner will review the classifieds rules?

The classifieds are still usable. I watch them nearly daily unless the budget is weak, then I avoid.
    :evilangel:Note to self; Must avoid classifieds... :nono:

I have a handful of things for sale with more stuff coming, please check out my adds...

:ingo:

Fully agree. The classifieds are no longer a perk for contributing members.

I do most of my browsing from the 'unread posts' page. I also find myself going to the main page several times a day to mark the entire classifieds section read. Trying to find interesting threads or current/breaking news sucks when the same member or two bump 10 of their ads all at the same time.

I'd like to see site supporter status for all classified use.
    100 post minimum with classified access to come 30 days AFTER the 100th post is made. The member is responsible for keeping track of their own time and asking for classified access, just like they do when they pay the fee early.
    A monthly limit on the amount of ads a person has open at one time and total monthly. (Maybe 3 open at a time, 10 total for the month. :dunno:)
    Lastly, at no time will your classified post count be permitted to exceed your actual post count. No more of this 50 real posts and 700+ classified posts crap.

I feel like the classifieds are a complete wreck and mostly stay out of there now. I've put things up for sale in the past and have bought things as well. Now when I see something interesting the next thing I look at is the members name. I actually do check post count & history. If the person is a flipper/squatter then I don't even bother. I've told flippers in the past that I wouldn't sell anything to them either and the reason why. When I buy or sell it's to make a change IN MY HOBBY, not to pad my pockets or add to someone else's profit margin.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    The biggest thing to realize about getting good deals is you have to be patient. Some of the best deals that I have came acrossed we're at the right time, luck, and I had some money in my pocket! If you're military collector like me you'll spend a long time trying to find the right piece for your collection. It was just this year I finally bought a rifle for my collection that I have been searching for around five years. Sometimes those pieces you have been looking for a long time when you finally get them it's hard to believe you actually have it. Anyway if there's something particular you're looking for it will pop up when you least expect it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There's good members here that won't pay the supporter fee
    for whatever reason. I don't want to lose them in the classys. I deffinately think increasing the post count to post there is a good idea though. But the idiot 50 posters will just get to whatever number they need no matter what. Maybe the 30 days after you reach 100 is good though. That prevents the quickies.

Honestly theres some trouble in the last couple years but still not terrible. The 100 posts requirement and 30 days after you reach 100 posts to participate jn the classys is probably the best idea I've heard.

im the same rooster if I'm selling something it's to fuel my hobby or better my collection. I lose money most times selling because that's just how things go if you actualy want to sell and not hold onto stuff. But if someone wants to flip my stuff go ahead. I named my price.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's good members here that won't pay the supporter fee
    for whatever reason. I don't want to lose them in the classys. I deffinately think increasing the post count to post there is a good idea though. But the idiot 50 posters will just get to whatever number they need no matter what. Maybe the 30 days after you reach 100 is good though. That prevents the quickies.

Honestly theres some trouble in the last couple years but still not terrible. The 100 posts requirement and 30 days after you reach 100 posts to participate jn the classys is probably the best idea I've heard.

im the same rooster if I'm selling something it's to fuel my hobby or better my collection. I lose money most times selling because that's just how things go if you actualy want to sell and not hold onto stuff. But if someone wants to flip my stuff go ahead. I named my price.

Good ideas. Not sure we will be changing anything.
    I watch the classifieds. If I see someone running a business under the radar I will let them know we see them. I also push for at least a site support banner. Most of those members opt for it instead of being shut down. I will lock them out.

What I do see is a lot more to choose from regardless of price. Wheel and deal as you can. Lots of folks post up high and will negotiate.
    I have not used the classifieds to move anything (Except Sams rifle....charity) as most all of my pieces would be priced high due to the modifications. People will say "It is still just a 1911" but no, they are much more.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Probably be a nightmare for the moderators, but what about a rolling minimum 50 quality posts during the last 12 months outside the classifieds?

I don't post often, so may never qualify, but I don't think I've posted in the classifieds since I've been here anyway. However I have purchased a couple of firearms from there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Probably be a nightmare for the moderators, but what about a rolling minimum 50 quality posts during the last 12 months outside the classifieds?

I don't post often, so may never qualify, but I don't think I've posted in the classifieds since I've been here anyway. However I have purchased a couple of firearms from there.

Like I mentioned. I doubt anything will be changed. We have a system. It does work beyond the complainers.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As to 'deals' I've purchased a few weapons off the INGO classifieds, and I've purchased more from LGSs. The right weapon at the right time for a price I'm willing to pay. I'll do my research and not expect to get taken to the cleaners...then again I shouldn't expect to take someone else to the cleaners either. Fair deal? Yes. But cheating is cheating whether you are buying or selling.

As for posting in the classifieds...I have never sold a weapon I purchased, then again I'm not much of an impulse buyer so I don't feel the need to rotate stock. I use the classified mostly like going to a LGS on my desk and browsing, looking at guns for fun without the friendly salesman asking me if I need help...how about now...still looking? Anything I can show you?

My only gripe with the 50 was before I had 50. Make a comment on some fanboys favorite platform and :flamethrower:SHUT UP NEWBY YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO GET TO 50 :soapbox:. Opinions don't matter pre-50, no matter how many decades of military service you have.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    You're very right here. I've seen GREAT deals just sit for weeks. Some reduce over time. Others were good or great even from the start. Ingo is more of a picky market than I've ever seen anywhere. It's either hot or it's not. Right now is the worst time to sell. Best time to buy. I honestly see great deals every couple days as long as new stuff is being listed. Sometimes the classys go stagnant and that's the only time they suck. Usually the week or before of the 1500. People are hoping to sell there I think, so the classys die off.
    I still think the ingo classifieds are the best on the internet and that includes gunbroker. But what I look for and buy might be different than what others like and buy. So I can see where someone could be sad about them.
    its always a good laugh though when people don't research their stuff and sell higher used than new
    You assume that people didn't research, I've been told that a gun is worth $100 extra due to the lack of a background check BUT the guy was asking to see a LTCH.

I miss the days of cheaper milsurp and building an AK for $200, you know pre-Sandy hook, pre democrat scare tactics, prior to our community scaring outself too

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I just took a look at the classifieds and there are some good deals NOW, just depends what you're looking for. The market is heavily saturated right now on some things, so how about FAIR deals? I'm only looking for two things and I'm not in any hurry as I have most everything I want. I see some ads on here as well as other sites too. Life is not fair for any of us.

My last really good deal was a Glock 36 with 6 magazines (4 had Pierce grip extensions) a Crimson Trace laser 2 IWB holsters (for carry with or without the laser) Trijicon night sights and close to 400 rounds of premium hollow points. I paid $600 for the package. : )

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    While I'm being a "complainer," I'll point out that my add that was closed a week ago (thank you INGO :ingo:) is still on the front page of Ammo and Reloading Supplies.

Matter of fact 1/2 of the front page of Ammo and Reloading Supplies is a week out on last posts. There was a time that adds in that section went to the second page well before the day was done. Just sayin'...

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I love these classifieds thread.

So the classifieds are devoid of interesting deals and the solution that people want is to make it harder to post in the classifieds? I just don't get the logic. There are deals on occasion and they go quick , maybe it's guys trying to increase their likelihood of getting those deals or trying force sellers to lower prices by further limiting their pool of buyers. To me more posts in the classifieds is better than less posts in the classifieds.

I know when some Smith's got posted recently for too cheap they sold in a few minutes and guys were tripping over themselves to be second , third or forth in line.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    While I'm being a "complainer," I'll point out that my add that was closed a week ago (thank you INGO :ingo:) is still on the front page of Ammo and Reloading Supplies.

Matter of fact 1/2 of the front page of Ammo and Reloading Supplies is a week out on last posts. There was a time that adds in that section went to the second page well before the day was done. Just sayin'...
    I've noticed this as well. Usually the Ammo thread is the first one I check and it's been really slow for awhile. I guess everyone is holding on to their ammo. Of course I've seen some doozies when it comes to prices there too. Some nearly twice the price of what can be found online, even with shipping.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I see many good deals on INGO. People sometimes think that they have to get something for nothing to get a good deal. I think of it this way - many gun owners on INGO respect and care for their guns well. You can find many like new guns at a fair price, don't pay tax, and don't have to deal with guns in a store that have been carelessly handled by dozens of people. Think of a good deal as fair deal on a great find.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good deals are all around us. You just have to do your homework. People do not want to do work.

This....exactly this.
    I had no trouble finding ammo in the .22 crisis. A lot of it was in our classifieds. Yes the prices went up and the shelves went bare but it was still out there.
    I have no trouble selling anything that I price fairly.

Yes, the tone of the WTS section has changed but the entire world has changed. We are not totally shielded from those changes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A lot of stuff has gone up in price recently, but vigilance and persistence are often rewarded, even in places like GB.

Top Bottom