Where have all the good deals gone, long time passing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have always been happy to help support the site by being a site supporter. (Actually happier when it was half the price it is now.:rolleyes:) I have always encouraged others to so also.

That said, the same money we voluntarily contribute to help maintain the site we actively participate in ain't no money to a pro-trader/flipper. It's a no brainer purchase of a closed customer base that can be paid back in the first sale.

While our site likes the money from the classifieds only posters, I contend that it actually takes away from those of us active poster site supporters who use the classifieds. On top of those who have given up using the classy's over the quality concerns discussed in this thread and others.

The idea that our classifieds are a "perk for active members" is waning. I adamantly oppose allowing our membership's classifieds to be bought into for such a minimal investment. If someone wants to bring their business to our classifieds without having to bother being a part of the community fine. Insist that they pay INGO advertiser pricing.

In what you have said I am a firm believer.
    I can not force the Advert. banner on a member just because I suspect (am absolutely sure) they are running a non-FFL under the radar.
    When I put the question to these members and I have, I get the expected results. Well no I am not running a business. I just like to try new things.
    With no real evidence I can only press them into being a site supporter. And I have on multiple occasions. Beyond this there is not a lot I can do.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In what you have said I am a firm believer.
    I can not force the Advert. banner on a member just because I suspect (am absolutely sure) they are running a non-FFL under the radar.
    When I put the question to these members and I have, I get the expected results. Well no I am not running a business. I just like to try new things.
    With no real evidence I can only press them into being a site supporter. And I have on multiple occasions. Beyond this there is not a lot I can do.

To be clear, I'm not critical of you at all. Your work is beyond appreciated sir! :ingo:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Gah, I've done "business" with one of them, very recently. Thanks for naming these guys, maybe we should have a special place to do so so that we can all choose whether to avoid them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wish I could remember who I bought my first glock from on here.

Was 100% ffl, required paperwork when I arrived.

The ad seems to have been removed

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I met john224 right after he became a sight supporter, bought a gun, and asked him about this very subject. I can't speak for him now but what he told me then was he understands the frustration of certain members , he simply likes to read INGO and is too shy or embarrassed to post socially (very common here).
    we stood and talked for a while and I found him to be a very nice guy (and he's a combat veteran )

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Interesting thought above. But I have a feeling the site would slow to a turtle pace crawl. as probably mentioned in many post , deals are few and far away. Logistics never seem to work out around here.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I met john224 right after he became a sight supporter, bought a gun, and asked him about this very subject. I can't speak for him now but what he told me then was he understands the frustration of certain members , he simply likes to read INGO and is too shy or embarrassed to post socially (very common here).
    we stood and talked for a while and I found him to be a very nice guy (and he's a combat veteran )
    There's lots of nice guys that run businesses. Look at that dudes post history and you'll see he isn't shy because he has to meet all those people he sells to or buys from. Posting in threads is easy and a lot more detached.
    I'm not saying he's a liar buuuuut ......
    Him being a combat vet doesn't mean **** to me on things unrelated to being a combat vet.
    The it reason I have a problem with people selling for profit as a business is they aren't paying their dues because other businesses here have to pay for that right. That's the issue I have.

I can tell the difference between someone selling for profit and someone who just likes to try new things and sell them to buy a new thing

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    As forum traffic grows, I am guessing its pretty common for sections like classifieds to become a bit more muddied than with a small group. The price of success!

The classifieds brought me here (not sure that's a plus for the forum or not??) and I've bought several items since. Just bought a "like new" item for exactly 50% its retail price. I paid asking and it was an easy fair deal for both of us.

Maybe the site could look at only allowing One active post per classified category at a time with as many as listed as desired within that post?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    There are some crazy good deals to be had in the classifieds right now, they may not be the gun you are looking for but they are out there. Wade thru some of the above MSRP stuff, expand what you're looking for and take a look around a bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just get ride of the section all together.

1st....your avatar is questionable. At best.
    2nd....if you do not like the section do not use it. Your call.
    3rd...through my using the classifieds I have met and continue to meet some really great people. The interactions at the FTF meet ups always take a lot longer than I have time for because the conversations are to good to stop.
    4th....yes, it is a magnet draw to the site. It is one of the reasons we have the traffic we do.
    5th....it is full of seriously good deals right now. You just have to look. I am meeting 3 Ingo members tomorrow. I to sell/trade and 2 to buy from. All 3 deals are pretty good IMHO.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    1st. Thats been my avatar since i joined. 43rd member of the board :cool:
    2nd I do use it sometimes but working at a gunshop i really don't use it at all now.
    3rd Good for you :rockwoot:
    4th and 5th. Ok that's good
    6th Still say lets do away with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st. Thats been my avatar since i joined. 43rd member of the board :cool:
    2nd I do use it sometimes but working at a gunshop i really don't use it at all now.
    3rd Good for you :rockwoot:
    4th and 5th. Ok that's good
    6th Still say lets do away with it.

Yes I know it has been and yes it has been discussed. That is why you have it.....Yes!!!
    Lets.........who would that be...???
    You are already hooked up so let the rest have a place to play.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Lol. Ok then. Let it go then bro.
    Who would what be?
    Yes lets?
    Fair enough.
    Ok lets keep it. You completey changed my mind . Thank you so much for showing me the error of my thinking lol.
    Not ! Lol
    This forum used to be awsome. However I don't come here often as it seem like a few people seem to make it a point to belittle other people. Much like this.
    Wealth of information if you can cut through the b.s.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Isn't a forum category a bit like a TV channel? If you don't like it; don't watch it? Don't decide for me what it available for consumption.

I see PLENTY of threads in the non-classified sections that might not qualify as contributing to the advancement of the forum.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Your thinking is flawed. People do decide. They are called mods. Not that thats a bad thing just pointing it out. All I did was answer what I though should happen. Like it or not. Don't like it don't reply to it . See works both ways.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lol. Ok then. Let it go then bro.
    Who would what be?
    Yes lets?
    Fair enough.
    Ok lets keep it. You completey changed my mind . Thank you so much for showing me the error of my thinking lol.
    Not ! Lol
    This forum used to be awsome. However I don't come here often as it seem like a few people seem to make it a point to belittle other people. Much like this.
    Wealth of information if you can cut through the b.s.

Look...this Forum was the wild wild west when you joined. I have heard the stories and went back to read the posts. It is not that same place and for good reason.
    It has grown a lot since you were #48.
    I try and sell the site to all with the least interest in firearms and the safe use of them. That is a win win in my eyes. This site grows and the LGS (you) have a broader customer base. What could the down side be. Oh wait, you are a LGS employee and possibly do not like private sales. OK, I get it.
    You made a statement and I responded. You responded to my statement. No harm no foul but in this you find offense. Wow.

As to the avatar. I did mention I try and sell the site. I had the SIL over with 3 of her lady friends showing them around the site. They liked it for the most part. Your avatar came up. These girls are no way near snowflakes so trust me they get it. But in the conversation they questioned this being on a "Family" oriented site.
    I get that as well. Again, not the same place it was in 08 by a long shot. Better/worse....up to the observer.

I guess it is all in the delivery of our opinions.
    The general consensus with 95% or more of membership is keep the Classifieds. Hence my statement. You are in the serious minority. Just a fact not a belittlement at all.

Let it go.......:):
    I like that.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Thanks i was to lazy to do the research. Wow 48 lol nice. If my avatar needs to be changed then all the mods have to do is ask and i will. But come on man it's Johnny Cash my dude. Love private sales. I constantly educate people as to the legality of them. Even recommend good places to do the swap. . It's let go

Top Bottom