• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I found two rounds of 9mm on a shelf in my garage. That is the first "new" 9mm i have seen in months.
    How much you want for those rounds? I'm trying to start a stock pile. Don't gouge please.

Popeye81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013

I tend to agree with the guy in the video. Ammo is out there in abundance just not at prices that I'm willing to pay.The gun store I shop at usually have all the popular calibers of ammo in stock for sale at reasonable prices save for .223. The big box stores are always sold out due to the people that wait in line on trucks days and buy it all up for resale at double the price or higher.Im okay with people buying ammo for personal consumption it's the people that buy at RETAIL and wipeout the ammo supply so they can make a few bucks that I don't care for.If those people wanna go in the ammo business then fine. Get an FFL, a retail merchants certificate and register with the IRS like all the gun shops have to do.I've found that most upstanding local gun stores sell what they have at fair prices.Their are a few that I know for a fact are participating in serious price gouging and I refuse to do any sort of business with those places.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Yeah, cause the government is buying all of the .22LR, .30-30, .22-250, 22 mag, etc.

The government buys ammo, big surprise there. They place a huge order every other year, does it mean it gets filled? No. Also, for placing an order that big for ammo, it's easier to get a bulk price on ammo if there are several agencies buying ammo through them too.

It's not the freaking government.

It's people, consumers. After the shooting in December and all the talk from ignorant politicians how many gun owners do you think is in America now? How many guns are in circulation now?

Yes, contracts give the government first choice on every round made by the companies they have the contract with.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    My daughter got a .380 for Christmas. She lives about 60 miles from me. She was complaining to me on the phone that they could not find ammo. I asked where they looked ? "WalMart" was her reply. I told her to go to a genuine gun store. The next day I walked into my LGS and found several boxes of .380 and just about every handgun caliber you would want, along with just about every hunting rifle caliber you would need. And yes, they had .223 and 39mm. When your world spins around Walmart and you don't look beyond you're bound to be disappointed. Sorry to say it but those big box stores are not the end all.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I tend to agree with the guy in the video. Ammo is out there in abundance just not at prices that I'm willing to pay.The gun store I shop at usually have all the popular calibers of ammo in stock for sale at reasonable prices save for .223. The big box stores are always sold out due to the people that wait in line on trucks days and buy it all up for resale at double the price or higher.Im okay with people buying ammo for personal consumption it's the people that buy at RETAIL and wipeout the ammo supply so they can make a few bucks that I don't care for.If those people wanna go in the ammo business then fine. Get an FFL, a retail merchants certificate and register with the IRS like all the gun shops have to do.I've found that most upstanding local gun stores sell what they have at fair prices.Their are a few that I know for a fact are participating in serious price gouging and I refuse to do any sort of business with those places.

I respectively disagree with this. I can go to a dozen websites and look for 9mm or .22LR only to see zero availability at any price.

If ammo was in "abundance" then the prices would not be so inflated. It is simple supply and demand. Right now ammo is scarce in the marketplace.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    I respectively disagree with this. I can go to a dozen websites and look for 9mm or .22LR only to see zero availability at any price.

If ammo was in "abundance" then the prices would not be so inflated. It is simple supply and demand. Right now ammo is scarce in the marketplace.

Here you go. 1000 rounds 9mm, in abundance.
    9mm 115 Grain FMJ Sellier & Bellot - 1000 Rounds - Surplus Ammo

And here is your .22.
    Ammo .22 LR Armscor Solid Point 40 Grain 500 Round Brick Standard Velocity 1135 fps

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I personally don't have a problem with people buying to stockpile their own supply. I encourage it. I just hope they aren't doing it at these outrageous prices.

This. Only an idiot would not be hoarding ammo in these times. However, the time to be doing so was before Connecticut. A prudent gun owner buys X number of boxes monthly (every month) and puts them away. Those of us who were doing so all along have thousands of rounds in storage. Those who didn't whine on Internet gun forums about hoarding, flipping, WalMart, etc.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I just kinda hope that we, as gun owners remember those shops or individuals who participated in what we perceive as "gouging". People have pretty short memories. I think as educated folks here we know the value of what we aspire to buy. The current market value of any given commodity will fluctuate with demand, but for the most part we know what stuff is truly worth.

I absolutely would buy more ammo, not to flip, but to personally use because I did that anyway. I haven't bought any in a while because I can't often find any, but I seldom make a special trip somewhere to buy more.

I also believe some of what has happened is due to all the new gun owners. Another poster pointed this out. After uncle Barry got re-annointed, the run on guns was huge, and ammo sales with those guns make a difference, too.
    I hope all the new gun owners have/will get educated so they can be a part of what we all appreciate. We can then count them among our numbers with voices. The more the merrier.
    The current state of things isn't just due to one event, rather a culmination of events and happenings. Some of us saw the writing on the wall, some didn't.

Just my take.

Popeye81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Again the ammo is out there and TONS of it. It's just not where folks want it to be and not at a price they are willing to pay.The stuff is being bought up at the retail level(pre-panic pricing) by those looking to turn a profit and then re-sold on forum classifieds and sites like gun broker.I know of several gun store employees that buy popular ammo calibers before it even hits the shelfs so that they can resale it online or at gunshows. Stores are trying to combat this by putting box limits on purchases but I've personally witnessed guys bringing whomever will go along so that they can get around the box limits.And it's not just here in Indiana. I witnessed the same thing going on down in Florida. I know how much Im willing to pay per round on ammo.If I find a deal I buy if not I keep searching.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i am glad i got into reloading when i did. granted im only using a single stage press and typically only put out a hundred rounds in a night, but its better than not being able to get it. just picked up 1k (was the limit) lead bullets from profire this past friday. i have enough powder to do about another 1500 rounds, and about 750 primers left. should get me by until i see them again at a price i am willing to pay. wish i would have bought more before this went down, but i did not have the extra cash at the time. i did get lucky and stock up on 5.56 when it was only 375/1000 and have a few thousand left that should last me through the summer.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Hmm, and I thought that the box of 9mm I bought three days ago for $20/50 at my LGS was kinda pricey.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    This. Only an idiot would not be hoarding ammo in these times. However, the time to be doing so was before Connecticut. A prudent gun owner buys X number of boxes monthly (every month) and puts them away. Those of us who were doing so all along have thousands of rounds in storage. Those who didn't whine on Internet gun forums about hoarding, flipping, WalMart, etc.

You are 100% correct. My son and I are, I guess what many here call "hoarders". However I can guarantee that we certainly are not contributing to any current shortage.

Neither of us have purchased ANY loaded ammo since Oct, last year. We did run into a decent buy on 500 62 GR bullets at Lafayette GS and 5K of Large Rifle Primers. Also bought 300 .308 bullets at a Kokomo show.

We still are shooting on the range when the weather permits. We have enough reloading components and ammo to last for a few YEARS at the current usage.

BUT we have been buying for about 20 years when supplies are high and prices low - or when sales are on. We will continue to build our "Supply" of both ammo and components when all the shortages are over and prices drop. I really hope all the complainers will do the same!

10mm Snack Pack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    New Castle
    I buy when I can. But I won't buy the insane high $$ stuff. I agree with all the new gun owners and the media scare. People picking up a box or two , here and their ,creates a shortage. 9.4 million guns in 4 months is a lot. Just think if each gun owner wants a measly 500 rounds. :twocents:

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I just scrounged up about $50 worth of 7.62x39 and 22lr from my truck center console an tool box drawer. Used to not think anything about having 22 ammo scattered around like that. Not anymore.

Top Bottom