• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Okay, I put "Pocket 9" in quotes as I don't really consider them pocket guns but most people know what I mean by that.

So which small gun in a decent self defense caliber shoots the easiest? Racking the slide should be easy too.

For example, I know that a PF-9 is a mother to shoot. (I have one and my daughter doesn't much care for it.)

Also, I know that the Sig P238 has a great slide action, but it costs a fortune. Also, I don't know how it shoots.

I heard the Diamondback DB380 is much easier on the hands than say a LCP or P3AT. Any other gems I should be looking at?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    My Keltec P3AT in 380 is kind of rough on the hands to shoot but it conceals so well and is the perfect backup gun. I imagine the Ruger LCP would be about the same too

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I cant imagine that any pocket 9 would be easy to shoot. I would suggest a pocket revolver like a j frame or something similar. Just shoot some light 38 loads for practice. Those arent going to be comfortable over a long shooting day, but you are looking at a segment that really doesnt offer much in the way of comfort when shooting. Maybe look at a 9mm subcompact instead of a pocket gun.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yeah, I know none of them are going to be "good". I'm looking for the best of the worst... :D

Here's a question I've had that I can't answer without shooting them, but is a slightly larger .380 easier to shoot than some of these small 9's?

For example, a Walther PK380 or the Bersa Thunder 380.

As for going with a compact 9, yeah that is an option. My SR9c fits the bill in all ways but size, but I'm trying to find something smaller.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Bersa Thunder 380 shoots very smooth and doesn't hurt the hands in my opinion. The only problem is its a bit big for pocket carry unless you want to print really bad. It would definitely not be deep concealment. I just take my Keltec to the range and use thin gloves to practice with it and it takes the edge off. Otherwise if I had to use it in a real life scenario(which I pray never happens) the snappiness wouldn't matter as long as the gun does what it needs to do.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I definitely found the Bersa Thunder 380 to be much easier to shoot than a LCP due to the larger size/weight. Among 9s, I would recommend the Kahr CM9/PM9 as easier to be accurate with than the PF9, though they are more expensive.

Racking the slide is harder on Kahrs as they are designed to use tight springs, however that really shouldn't be a problem except for the feeble if you use the right technique.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, I know none of them are going to be "good". I'm looking for the best of the worst... :D

Here's a question I've had that I can't answer without shooting them, but is a slightly larger .380 easier to shoot than some of these small 9's?

For example, a Walther PK380 or the Bersa Thunder 380.

As for going with a compact 9, yeah that is an option. My SR9c fits the bill in all ways but size, but I'm trying to find something smaller.

A PK380 isn't exactly a pocket gun, it would certainly be easier to shoot than an LCP or PF9 or anything like that. I doubt the PK would be much if any smaller than the SR9c.

Also check out a CW9 kahr, its not as small as a LC9 or LCR but smaller than the SR9c, especially in width. I have a CW 40 and its not bad to shoot and the 9mm would only be easier. Kinda long trigger pull though.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    You're trading "easy to shoot" for "size & weight." Like with any pistol though, plenty of practice will make whatever you have become easier over time.

That said, I find my LCP to be easy to shoot.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    This isn't for me. I have a PF-9 that is no fun to shoot but I deal because it is small and light.

I've read good stuff about the Bersa Thunder/Firestorm 380. Seems to fit the bill insomuch as it is easier than a LCP to shoot, good grip for small hands, decent trigger, etc...

Oh yeah, the cost is great too.

Thoughts on this gun?

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    This isn't for me. I have a PF-9 that is no fun to shoot but I deal because it is small and light.

I've read good stuff about the Bersa Thunder/Firestorm 380. Seems to fit the bill insomuch as it is easier than a LCP to shoot, good grip for small hands, decent trigger, etc...

Oh yeah, the cost is great too.

Thoughts on this gun?

They're heavy.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A Bersa .380 or any of the Walther PPK sized guns is the easiest to shoot.

Do you consider the XDsc or the G26 a "pocket 9"?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Nah, I'd put them in the compact class like my current SR9c.

I guess I was hoping that someone would say that the CW9 or the Diamondback DB9 was tons better than the LC9 or PF-9 that I'm familar with.

I'll look into the Thunder a little more. The extra weight might be a good thing in this case.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nah, I'd put them in the compact class like my current SR9c.

I guess I was hoping that someone would say that the CW9 or the Diamondback DB9 was tons better than the LC9 or PF-9 that I'm familar with.

I'll look into the Thunder a little more. The extra weight might be a good thing in this case.

A CW9 will absolutely be better to shoot than an PF-9. I had a PF-9 and currently have CW40, I can shoot the CW40 all day if I wanted to. The PF-9 was a chore to shoot after the first box of 50. That being said, I would not consider a CW40 or CW9 a pocket gun either, they are too big for that imo. They have the new CM9 that may work better for you though.

Depending on your location, you are welcome to shoot my CW40 if you ever get up around Ft Wayne.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    A lot of people knock the pk380 since it isnt a pocket gun. I have CC'd it several times without any problem at all. Its so slim that it squeezes in tight with no "imprint" at all. Plus its a fun shooter!!

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru

Just use a shooting glove (bicycle glove) when you practice at the range and save some money. I hope your not going to be in a firefight long enough to hurt your hand when you carry the PF9. :):

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Okay, I must have confused some people along the line. For that I apologize.

This wouldn't be for me. It does not not need to fit in a pocket.

It would be for a 25 year old daughter that has smaller hands and trouble working the slide of my SR9c.

I have no problem shooting my PF-9. But the recoil from it is too much for her.

She has my old Hi-Point C9 now and she shoots it well. The slide isn't bad and the weight keeps the recoil down. But it is not a purse gun...

Top Bottom