• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a Kel-tec PF9, which I really like. I have also shot a S&W Bodyguard , and a Ruger LCP. Out of the LCP and the Bodyguard. I shot, and liked the LCP more so. I was hitting a 2" sticker at 7 yards with the LCP.

mmorph55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Lafayette
    P238 over LCP

I have an lcp and it jars the hand so much that I,m done after 7 rounds. I then up graded to the P238 and found something with sights and fun to shoot. I can easily go through 200 rounds at the range and wish i could afford more. I only payed a couple hundred more for it then my lcp and it has become my full time carry. They are worth the extra cost.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    My Keltec P3AT in 380 is kind of rough on the hands to shoot but it conceals so well and is the perfect backup gun. I imagine the Ruger LCP would be about the same too

And you can lock the slide open on the LCP. To me, that was worth the additional $30 or so.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    If anyone finds a .380 that is "friendly" to shoot, let me know. They are nasty to shoot and not worth much past 10 yards.

It's a personal up close kind of warm fuzzy feeling when all else fails kind of weapon. Maybe a knife would be better. Just sayin......

I have a stainless steel pocket .380 with a 5 round mag and will keep it, just in case. I will keep a knife handy in case I miss.

They do conceal really well though.

Can't help on the 9mm.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    My sister-in-law carries the sub-compact taurus .380, the pink gripped one, it shoots very nicely and is pretty small. I have a taurus tcp .380, and had a kel tec .380 until a few days ago, I think the taurus is much less snappy than the kel tec. I havent shot the ruger so I cant comment on it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Okay, I put "Pocket 9" in quotes as I don't really consider them pocket guns but most people know what I mean by that.

So which small gun in a decent self defense caliber shoots the easiest? Racking the slide should be easy too.

For example, I know that a PF-9 is a mother to shoot. (I have one and my daughter doesn't much care for it.)

Also, I know that the Sig P238 has a great slide action, but it costs a fortune. Also, I don't know how it shoots.

I heard the Diamondback DB380 is much easier on the hands than say a LCP or P3AT. Any other gems I should be looking at?
    I've pretty much tried them all, and I've settled on the Kahr P380 and CM9. I carry both regularly, however I find myself carrying the CM9 the most. It is a "pocket" 9mm for me although I also have an IWB holster for it as well.

Reliable. Very well made. Accurate. Great triggers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKXNDstG0R8

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If anyone finds a .380 that is "friendly" to shoot, let me know. They are nasty to shoot and not worth much past 10 yards.
    It all depends on your experience level with the pistol and if you're willing to spend the time to master it. This is me shooting bowling pins at my father inlaws with my LCP .380. He couldn't believe how easily I knocked them over with my (then) little pocket gun, so he video taped it. I've since moved on to the Kahr P380 which I find even easier to shoot as it has a superior trigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6-mVdXaMx0

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    25 year old daughter with small stature and limited strength? Bersa Thunder or Walther PK380. My wife choose the Walther. Good ergonomics, good sights, low recoil, easy to manipulate the slide, ambidextrose. The gun is very easy to shoot and accurate. The longer barrel is going to give the 380 a bit more umph then the pocket rockets everyone loves. 8+1 capacity is not great but nothing to sneeze at.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

If you're talking about the P-3AT or the LCP then I agree with you, but my Thunder .380 has very little recoil, I haven't found anyone yet who has trouble racking the slide, and it just as accurate as any of my other auto-pistols, if not more so. And I'm comparing accuracy at 50 ft, not 15.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Oh, one more... Colt Government or Mustang. The sights aren't much, the slide is somewhat harder to rack, and accuracy is so-so, but they are "almost" a pocket pistol and are great for smaller hands.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I pocket carry a Radom P64 in 9x18mm. It is an all metal gun and has some kick, and only holds 6 rounds. One the plus side it costs $150 and if you hate it you'll only be out a little cash.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As far as recoil and slide operation, the PK380 is a *****cat. My wife started out with one as her first carry pistol. as far as size of it though, it is almost identical in size to my officers model 1911.
    If pocket .380s are more along the lines of what she is interested in, my wife recently picked up a S&W bodyguard .380, and shooting side by side with my LCP, recoild on the BG is noticeably less. The internal lazer may have something to do with it, by adding extra weight. The other plus I have found in this pistol is the sights. They do leave a little to be desired, but are much better than most of the DAO .380 pocet pistols I have seen.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I pocket carry a Radom P64 in 9x18mm. It is an all metal gun and has some kick, and only holds 6 rounds. One the plus side it costs $150 and if you hate it you'll only be out a little cash.

How do you like it? We just ordered one from J&G....curse you C&R!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I love my recently purchased LC9. I shoot it way better then the Keltec P11 and P32 I had before. The Ruger LCR is a good handful of gun for the money to. Very manageable in the recoil dept, even with +P loads in it.

On the LC9, recoil is not bad, very controllable. I've gotten fist sized groups at 5 yards fast firing.

Still looking for a holster for it, and need to put through a lot more rounds before I carry it. But that's the only thing keeping me back right now from daily ccw w/ it.

I think in the end, you have to find the perfect gun for you. Testing various guns is about the only way to find it. I can tell you how a gun feels for me, but do you have the same hands, firing grip, ammo, etc... All those are going to effect how the gun feels for you. So, take advice with a grain of salt.

If you're ever around New Pal, you could come shoot the LC9 and see what it's like.

I'd love to get a bunch of pocket pistols together for a comparison shoot/evaluation.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I can tell you what happened with my wife. She had a Taurus 38 spec wheel gun, but decided she liked the Bersa 380 Thunder, so I traded the Taurus for it. Shortly thereafter, she decided that loading the clip, racking the slide, etc--the mechanics of a semi auto--was a pain. (She didn't really have the hand strength to rack the slide comfortable too.)

Sooo, we sold the Bersa and she went back to a wheel gun (S&W 442, 38 spec--a lot like the Taurus she had before.). She likes the "point & click" action better and is much more comfortable with it.

The recoil is quite a bit heavier than the Bersa, but she's OK with that because in self defense/up close & personal type situations, she decided that recoil doesn't much matter to her. :twocents:

Hope this helps. Remember, letting your daughter try various sidearms out before purchase will help with her decision as well. I would be happy to let your daughter try out the wife's 442 if you are near the Morgan Co. area.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I can tell you what happened with my wife. She had a Taurus 38 spec wheel gun, but decided she liked the Bersa 380 Thunder, so I traded the Taurus for it. Shortly thereafter, she decided that loading the clip, racking the slide, etc--the mechanics of a semi auto--was a pain. (She didn't really have the hand strength to rack the slide comfortable too.)

Sooo, we sold the Bersa and she went back to a wheel gun (S&W 442, 38 spec--a lot like the Taurus she had before.). She likes the "point & click" action better and is much more comfortable with it.

The recoil is quite a bit heavier than the Bersa, but she's OK with that because in self defense/up close & personal type situations, she decided that recoil doesn't much matter to her. :twocents:

Hope this helps. Remember, letting your daughter try various sidearms out before purchase will help with her decision as well. I would be happy to let your daughter try out the wife's 442 if you are near the Morgan Co. area.

It's true, revolvers are idiot proof. My guess is that is why I like them so much.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom