• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking Queen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Colorado
    Hi, as an older female, new to shooting, and having physical "issues" with my right hand I find both the Ruger LCR and LC9 easy to use. It took me a while to master racking the slide on the LC9 due to hand problems, but after being shown an alternate way to do it there was no longer a problem. I had some issues with the slide when the LC9 was new, but now that it is "broken in", factory goo cleaned out, and properly lubricated, it is easier to rack.

I almost got a S&W snubbie, but it was pointed out to me that the LCR trigger would require less strength to pull it than the S&W. I much prefer my LCR over the LC9 for ease of use, ease of cleaning (no disassembly required) and having it be point and shoot ready. I do not find the revolver to be very bulky at all, given the right holster/carry option. I do not purse carry as I find it not to be readily available and the prospect of having my purse stolen with gun in it leaves me cold.

I tried out many pistols and revolvers prior to making my purchase decision and LC9 is no less reliable than the LCR, but as a pistol is less "intuitive" to use. Of the two, I prefer the LCR.

There you go folks, just my :twocents: Viking Queen

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Bersa Thunder 380 shoots very smooth and doesn't hurt the hands in my opinion. The only problem is its a bit big for pocket carry unless you want to print really bad. It would definitely not be deep concealment. I just take my Keltec to the range and use thin gloves to practice with it and it takes the edge off. Otherwise if I had to use it in a real life scenario(which I pray never happens) the snappiness wouldn't matter as long as the gun does what it needs to do.

I used to carry my Bersa 380 in a pocket holster in cargo pants. It was pretty concealable that way.

In an IWB holster? Invisible.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think I've decided the we would both LOVE to have the Sig P238, but it costs too much for now...

But I will probably buy a Bersa Firestorm .380. If she doesn't like it, dad will keep it.

I will buy me a Kahr CW9... ;)

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I used to carry my Bersa 380 in a pocket holster in cargo pants. It was pretty concealable that way.

In an IWB holster? Invisible.

Well maybe Im doing it wrong :): Im kind of referring to front pocket carry but in an IWB holster I agree definitely invisible.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have several 380s and the easiest to shoot by far is the PPK/S. It's not a light gun and that extra weight keeps the muzzle down. I also have a Bersa Thunder 380 and that one is not bad to shoot either. It's lighter than the PPK and you feel that lightness in a tendency to be more snappy. It's better than some of the other light weight 380s, but not a docile as the PPK.

I also have a Sig P238 and find that one to be quite fun to shoot. It's not snappy at all and is surprisingly accurate for a gun with a barrel that's not much longer than the bullet it shoots. I tend to carry that gun more than any other and shoot it quite often. They are not cheap though.

The PPK was very frustrating at the beginning and only really became a nice gun to shoot after about 500 rounds. Before that, it had the tendency to hang just short of chambering a round and I would need to push the slide forward that last little bit. Lately, it's been great. It's heavy, but not so heavy as to be trouble for carry. That weight sure does tame the recoil though. Its the gun that I can shoot the fastest while keeping rounds on the target.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    In have shot the Keltec PF9, Kahr PM9 and the Kahr is nothing compared to the recoil of the Keltec. If you look at .380's, the Diamondback DB380 and Kahr P380 are very accurate and the recoil is nothing. If you want a DB380, I have one listed in the classifieds.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    This isn't for me. I have a PF-9 that is no fun to shoot but I deal because it is small and light.

I've read good stuff about the Bersa Thunder/Firestorm 380. Seems to fit the bill insomuch as it is easier than a LCP to shoot, good grip for small hands, decent trigger, etc...

Oh yeah, the cost is great too.

Thoughts on this gun?
    They are good solid handguns. I had three, but am down to just the one I liked the most. It is one of the older Thunder .380's that is a matte nickle plate and no key safety on the left side just forward of the trigger. I have about 1,500 rounds thru the gun with little problems. :twocents:

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I love my Kahr PM9. I've carried it in my pocket but I prefer to IWB carry it 99% of the time. I much prefer the Kahr PM9 over the ruger LCP. Anything much smaller than the Kahr, the LCP and keltecs and what not, begin to get into the too small to comfortably shoot category for me.

PM9 gets my vote.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 is a great shooter. Its my wife's gun but i love shooting that thing. I have very large hands and shooting it doesn't hurt at all.

PS people are having issues with the early models. Ive never had any problems with mine. it has around 800rds thru it so far. I have shot mostly fmj but i have shot around 100 Hollow Points.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I stick layers of foam cushion tape on the back of the grip of my mouse guns and stretch a chunk of bike innertube over it. Makes them a lot easier on the hand.

FCSD 23-18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I absolutly love my S&W Bodyguard .380, and it is tame enough that my 13 year old daughter shoots it with no problem.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My son and I have been looking at various pocket carry semi-automatics. He owns a Keltec P3AT in 380, and has purchased the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP. The Ruger was unreliable after about 500 rounds. Constant failure to feed. Constant, as in every mag. He replaced it with the TCP. Yesterday we spent an hour at the range, checking out the Kel-Tec and the Taurus.

The Taurus performed only fair. Constant FTF. Not every mag, but enough to make it unreliable. We were thinking after a few more break-in rounds it will settle down. We thought to finish up with some rounds through the P3AT. After one shot, the trigger failed to engage. Hammer does not move. Slide works but the pistol does not arm and will not fire.

My conclusion: Use the Taurus 709 for back-up. My EDC is a G26. My Taurus 709 is smaller, easier to conceal than the G26, reliable (I can prove it!). It may be a bit big for the pocket, but it is far easier to handle, shoots cheaper and more powerful ammo, and is more reliable than the others.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I haven't seen any suggestions for the Walther PPS, but my 9mm is extremely easy to shoot. Downsides are a funky magazine release, price, and euro style sights, but the trigger is almost exactly the Glock trigger (short reset) and it has very pleasant recoil. My other suggestion would be Kahr, but they do recoil a bit more in my opinion, and their triggers are a bit long. The PPS will fit in a pocket, although it is probably a bit better on the belt.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I find my LCP very comfortable to shoot. I can keep all my shots into a fist sized group at about 5 yards. It is my EDC gun and I wouldn't get rid of it. I can run 50-75 rounds thru it at a time and it doesn't bother me at all.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Just got back from first firing of my Kahr p380 and I love it. Best shooting 380 I've ever had. First shot went through the 1" dot I was shooting at! Very nice trigger, good sights, definitely worth the money.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I think I've decided the we would both LOVE to have the Sig P238, but it costs too much for now...

But I will probably buy a Bersa Firestorm .380. If she doesn't like it, dad will keep it.

I will buy me a Kahr CW9... ;)

You should buy her a Kahr CW9 too. It will be a perfect purse gun, reasonably priced and you'all can share ammo and the like. I have a Kahr CM9, which I bought because I wanted a gun I could (and do) pocket carry, but if that is not a requirement, going up one size makes complete sense.

Top Bottom