• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I am in a love hate thing with them. I love the guns. I hate management.
    For the money you will not find a better 1911.
    This is why I buy used if I can find a good one and I have found several good ones lately for decent money.

If everyone knew the Corporate Board Rooms and what goes on, then one might also question their favorite car brand, or groceries you buy. SA builds a solid product at a good price. Don’t have to bed down with them, just use them for what they are good at. People buy foreign all the time based on their perception of a good product. Me, I will stay with my fellow Americans and try to keep my neighbor working.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's gotta be a used DW forget all this Rugar, SA, kimber, Tisa, RIA stuff!

DW's have their own theme music!

Why would you not carry a 1911? You can actually beat someone down with a 1911 try that with a plastic pistol!

Springfield armory are forged slide and frames. Can't get much better than that.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    They did. The steel was meteor hard stuff. Tanks. I built one up for my oldest son. I really doubt you could hurt that thing.
    I recall you mentioning this in another thread quite a few moons ago, especially the part about how hard the steel was. Sounds like the same stuff Wolverine's claws are made from! You don't have a picture of this around by chance do you? I definitely remember you talking about it but can't remember if you ever posted a pic of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recall you mentioning this in another thread quite a few moons ago, especially the part about how hard the steel was. Sounds like the same stuff Wolverine's claws are made from! You don't have a picture of this around by chance do you? I definitely remember you talking about it but can't remember if you ever posted a pic of it.

I don't think I ever took a pic. Basic MilSpec piece that you could drive nails with.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Columbus
    I bought a kimber custom II from RK last year for close to 600 bones. I have loved it for the money. My other 1911 is a Remington Rand and I shot a friends Springfield a lot 10-15 yrs ago.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Best value under $1000. Smith & Wesson E series. They run right out of the box and can be made a little nicer with very little effort.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    According to those who know way more than myself about the platform(Vickers and Yam), production 1911's are hit and miss.

With that said, SA and Colt seem to be the favorites for dudes in that realm. My experiences are all good with those two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I've had excellent luck with Taurus and RIA 1911s in the past. The Taurus ran out of the box. I owned several RIA pistols that never required more than a very basic fluff and buff.
    The funny thing is, none of them really spoke to me. When it came time to sell them or trade for something I wanted more I didn't miss any of them.
    Of course, the OP is asking about higher quality than either one of those.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had excellent luck with Taurus and RIA 1911s in the past. The Taurus ran out of the box. I owned several RIA pistols that never required more than a very basic fluff and buff.
    The funny thing is, none of them really spoke to me. When it came time to sell them or trade for something I wanted more I didn't miss any of them.
    Of course, the OP is asking about higher quality than either one of those.

Taurus 1911 also have forged slide, frame, and barrels. If forged is the way to go why not buy a Taurus and fix it up?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Why not buy a DW and shoot it?

Its also a good investment a DW will hold its value.

No need to buy “Ol crow” when you have JD money!

Don't overlook Fusion firearms great 1911’s they make a awesome 10mm Commander my wife will not let me purchase.
    https://fusionfirearms.com/

You can get a great American made 1911 cheap!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    if we are moving outside of the price range, I am really impressed with those Alchemy Custom 1911s that I have been reading about.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Fusion starts at about $700 for a much better pistol than mass production stuff and for about $1000.00 you could get a very nice one off pistol.

Top Bottom