• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Taurus 1911 also have forged slide, frame, and barrels. If forged is the way to go why not buy a Taurus and fix it up?
    Because it’s a Taurus. Although if they move to GA, the warranty tripS will be shorter than the South Florida ones, your gat will just get a little less of a tan, and there won’t be any sand in the return shipping box.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just north of the listed budget is the Standard offerings. I have 2 of them and hold them at or above any DW I have fondled. Fit/finish is remarkable IMHO.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Because it’s a Taurus. Although if they move to GA, the warranty tripS will be shorter than the South Florida ones, your gat will just get a little less of a tan, and there won’t be any sand in the return shipping box.

IIRC Taurus is or was making frames for Springfield Armory. So basically Springfield Armory is a Taurus or was. For all me know Taurus maybe made frames for other famous brands as well.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    IIRC Taurus is or was making frames for Springfield Armory. So basically Springfield Armory is a Taurus or was. For all me know Taurus maybe made frames for other famous brands as well.
    I don’t believe you are recalling correctly. As long as I’ve known about Springfield Armory, they’ve sourced their frames from Imbel?

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    i am shooting a Remington R-1 enhanced and really like it. Very accurate and it is the 4.25 in model. I think it was around $700.00

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Aren't they one and the same just a different name?

Forging a frame is one thing. Finishing that same frame to a level of acceptable fit/finish is another thing entirely.

I have owned a few Taurus offerings mostly Trackers in .17 HMR and a 24/7 all of which were "OK" enough for some but not me.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Same gun with upgrades like front strap checkering, adjustable sights and fiber optic front and flared magwell. Not sure about the trigger but super smooth but that may be the same on the R-1.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Forging a frame is one thing. Finishing that same frame to a level of acceptable fit/finish is another thing entirely.

I have owned a few Taurus offerings mostly Trackers in .17 HMR and a 24/7 all of which were "OK" enough for some but not me.

So it's craftmanship that sets them apart.
    Someone with your skill set could turn one into a fine 1911 right CM?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have never head that Taurus and IMbel are the same company. I looked at their Wikipedia pages and don't see this mentioned. I also note that every thing listed about them appears to be completely different. Can someone post some documentation of this?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So it's craftmanship that sets them apart.
    Someone with your skill set could turn one into a fine 1911 right CM?

Possibly. Depends on the slide to frame fit. I am pretty picky on what I start out with these days. To put that money into a Taurus pretty much locks you into owning it for.....well…..ever.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I’d get a colt. The bad thing about a new colt is you can’t hardly find one in the wild to look at before you buy.
    AA

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Colt is going to hold its value better than most anything under $1k. It’ll be a shooter, too. They aren’t mostly in-stock, but you can order from Hoosier Armory & pick up at the store.

Here’s a sweet two-tone within your budget: https://www.hoosierarmory.com/products/handguns-colt-o1070ccs-tt-098289111548-480

Nice thing is that a Colt with Novak cut sights is a nice base to build off of in the future.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Well Dave's didnt have quite the selection I thought they would, but I have a hard time leaving a gun shop empty handed. I ended up taking home a Ruger Sr1911 Commander with black frame and stainless slide. If it runs as well as I think it will, it might just replace my carry gun. I will be back for a full size eventually.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Congratulations!

Mr. Browning cracked a half smile for you!

Make sure it runs good and carry it, don’t let the plastic people make fun of it.

Top Bottom