• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What snowflake HAD to go to the media about this? Good grief. Right or wrong, deal with it in house. I've been the bad guy many times during our Active Killer classes, structure clearing classes, and community engagement demonstrations and have been shot point blank with non-marking Sim rounds. The non-markers are much harder than the traditional marking rounds, breaks skin. All in the name of quality training. But an Airsoft pellet? Good grief. Seems like the teacher's complaint is growing feet. These are the same teachers we want to arm?

Well thank goodness she wasn't seriously hurt! She could've broken a nail in her panicked state! How do you come back from something like that??

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    What moron(s) thought this was a good idea?

I'll admit that I don't know all the details due to the differing accounts of what happened, but it seems like there are too many things that can go wrong in this scenario, and the "trainers" should have known better.

Can't recall the details, but didn't a fitness center (Brownsburg YMCA maybe? - don't quote me on that) do something similar a few years ago where the "shooter" was armed with a fake gun? I can only imagine an armed citizen stumbling onto that situation, fail to realize it was a drill, and taking action. In the school situation, what happens if an armed parent (illegal, of course, so couldn't happen) showed up without knowing what was going on and took action?

I don’t know the specifics for this training exercise, but when we set up training in a “public” space (school, college, business, etc,) we put up sandwich boards with “Police training in progress” by the doors and parking entrances with cones and cars and safety officers all around. Generally no “actual” public is allowed in the area for the duration of the training (in which the building is usually closed anyway.)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This story really caught fire with the national news. There's enough "tHiS iS aMeRiCa" comments to have a measurable carbon footprint.

I couldn't imagine trusting the safety of my kids to someone who runs out of active shooter training to whine to the media about their airsoft gun boo-boos instead of processing the clear point of the training. Maybe the GFZ signs will protect them, because these people sure won't.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A few things:

1. Shooting anyone with a airsoft without their explicit consent is a very bad idea. It's stupid and tells me that the person running the training needs more training.
    2. If the trainers believed that shooting the participants had a reasonable training purpose (which it does), they should have made it clear to the teachers what was going to happen, get their consent, and allow any ******* to not participate.
    3. Someone needs to have a long talk with those teachers about hardening the **** up. If they throw a fit like that over a sting and minor wound from an airsoft pellet, they have no potential for being able to manage students in any kind of crisis.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I wish I'd have thought to ask Mom about this earlier when I stopped by. She was a high school math teacher during the Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson administrations. I have the feeling her reply would be something like, "Teachers used to be tougher than that."

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So we now equate welting up teachers to a Delta shoot house. How about we run the administration, teachers and students through a tear gas tent so they understand what happens when a school gets gassed?
    Not a bad idea. That way they’ll already be crying for the cameras.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Did they make the teachers wear face shields or goggles? I have a hard time believing that the trainers wouldn't have given all the participants PPE.

If you're wearing the PPE, I take that as a sign that you understand that you may be shot.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Obviously a lot of you guys talking about this have never been shot with a CO2 airsoft plastic bb traveling close to 1000fps from 10 feet away in the back with zero idea what was to occur. The rounds drew blood on some of the teachers. According to my wife (a teacher in another district not far from Monticello), the admin told them NOTHING about opting out or that they would be shot. I do not condone this type of training. They are teachers not warriors. The airsoft shooting of teachers instills NOTHING. If you think it is no big deal, sign up to be a demonstrator . The teachers couldn't retaliation on the shooter and feedback on best course of action after being shot was given. It was not approved by the state board as ALICE training is. If this had happened to school children, you might change your cavalier attitude toward this mockery of supposed training.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So we now equate welting up teachers to a Delta shoot house. How about we run the administration, teachers and students through a tear gas tent so they understand what happens when a school gets gassed?

As long as they are forced to work in an unsafe (GFZ) environment, should they not be ready?

Was this "training" mandatory? Were they paid for the time spent training?

If there is a problem with the instruction, that should be addressed. That said, anyone who has done any force on force training understands that there will be risk of pain.

Why do they think that they are required to wear eye/face protection?

I have paid to train with people who welted me with marking rounds and airsoft. I am better because of it, so are the most of these teachers. More importantly, our kids are safer because of the training.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    As long as they are forced to work in an unsafe (GFZ) environment, should they not be ready?

Was this "training" mandatory? Were they paid for the time spent training?

If there is a problem with the instruction, that should be addressed. That said, anyone who has done any force on force training understands that there will be risk of pain.

Why do they think that they are required to wear eye/face protection?

I have paid to train with people who welted me with marking rounds and airsoft. I am better because of it, so are the most of these teachers. More importantly, our kids are safer because of the training.

Interesting, I come from 4 generations of combat veterans including myself, and none of us were shot with anything before we were deployed.
    If its now a modern thing my son is a LCpl 0352 Marine Grunt and as of Basic, SOI, advanced missile school, and he is currently two weeks into Designated Marksmanship School at 29 and he has yet you be shot with anything. I guess we missed out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Obviously a lot of you guys talking about this have never been shot with a CO2 airsoft plastic bb traveling close to 1000fps from 10 feet away in the back with zero idea what was to occur. The rounds drew blood on some of the teachers. According to my wife (a teacher in another district not far from Monticello), the admin told them NOTHING about opting out or that they would be shot. I do not condone this type of training. They are teachers not warriors. The airsoft shooting of teachers instills NOTHING. If you think it is no big deal, sign up to be a demonstrator . The teachers couldn't retaliation on the shooter and feedback on best course of action after being shot was given. It was not approved by the state board as ALICE training is. If this had happened to school children, you might change your cavalier attitude toward this mockery of supposed training.
    Nope,been shot with airsoft, simunitions, utm, and back in the day, real bb’s. If they weren’t warned, that’s on the trainer, but I have a hard time believing that once the facemasks were issued, NOBODY wondered why? There wasn’t a liability release form signed or ANY pretraining briefing made about what was to go on? How many teachers were actually shot? We’re any others shot throughout the training? Why are only 1 or 2 teachers involved complaining?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting, I come from 4 generations of combat veterans including myself, and none of us were shot with anything before we were deployed.
    If its now a modern thing my son is a LCpl 0352 Marine Grunt and as of Basic, SOI, advanced missile school, and he is currently two weeks into Designated Marksmanship School at 29 and he has yet you be shot with anything. I guess we missed out.

Thank you for your service and that of the rest of your family!

I cannot speak to military training as I have only had modern day defensive training. I can say though, without doubt I am better because of it, as are those who trained with me.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Bringing in your local police department is not the best choice when it comes to training private, mostly unarmed (firearms) citizens to respond to an active killer incident. Most police officers only attend mandated training and rarely seek out training on their own dime and time. That mandated training will be focused on a law enforcement response to an active killer, not private citizens working in an educational, business or religious institution setting.

If you are tasked with coordinating active killer training, please seek out professional PRIVATE training!

Top Bottom