• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Sadly, I think about the only thing that would work to iron out RSAs problems would be to step in with a FULL Military Presence and force an end to the problems with extreme prejudice. Short of that nothing we do will work at all...

Reality sucks doesn't it...

Basically, the only thing that could be done is to put all the tribes under outside rule again, planning to dismantle the tribal-centric culture that is central to their inability to create cooperative government. It would be worse than trying to transform Japan or Iraq into a democratic form of government. We don't have the national will to do that with folks who've pissed us off enough to invade them, how could we manage it with folks we really don't care about?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Speaking of the cold war, maybe we could have an old fashioned proxy war. What are the Zulus and the IFP doing these days?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    ZA is spiralling back into a racial-classist State.
    Apparently if you're a poor white farmer, you're a good-for-naught Boer Afrikaner who doesn't deserve the money you earned planting your fields.
    But if you're a poor black farmer, you deserve all your hard work, and your neighbors' fruits too - your neighbor is evil and decadent and deserves naught but misery! They took all from you - your respect, your rights - return the favor!

Retributivism is NOT dead.

Both sides commited horrendous ATROCITIES.

I hope that ZA can move past the fake post-racial politicians (Nelson Mandela, Jake Zuma, and that one old racist white guy), and fuel themselves forward amicably.

The only other option is violence.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cut off the money of the oligarchs and the state and they send their goons after you to force you back to the mines. It's an old story and this is just the latest version of it to play out. Know your place, peon. And if you don't stay in it....we'll kill you. Looks like the ANC has learned a lot during their years in power.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Cut off the money of the oligarchs and the state and they send their goons after you to force you back to the mines. It's an old story and this is just the latest version of it to play out. Know your place, peon. And if you don't stay in it....we'll kill you. Looks like the ANC has learned a lot during their years in power.

Given their historic communist ties, my guess is that the leaders had been well schooled long before they were in a position to put their lessons to work in the post-1994 period of South African politics.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    196020_354750291271032_842941023_n.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Things just keep getting better. If you can't get what you want then charge the victims with murder. That's sure to draw the heat away from the real murderers.

BBC News - South African Marikana miners charged with murder

Interesting. Police kill a bunch of protestors and now arrest the others for murder. Sort of a felony murder theory. Deaths arose out of your activities.

Is that something like punishing the inmate for getting blood on the correctional officer's boots while getting the s**t beat out of him?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's an apartheid era law used to punish protesters. Now it's just the cops and the oligarchs using it to force their agenda on the miners. Obey or suffer the consequences.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know of the specific coal mine labour dispute, but while genocide can never be condoned, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for white South Africans who lived in luxury under Apartheid now being opposed violently by black South Africans who lived in squalor and fear.

It's an object lesson for any majority who seeks to use their political power to deliberately make the lot of a minority worse. You may one day find yourselves in the minority and at the mercy of a majority who you pissed off in an earlier time, political reforms or no.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't know of the specific coal mine labour dispute, but while genocide can never be condoned, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for white South Africans who lived in luxury under Apartheid now being opposed violently by black South Africans who lived in squalor and fear.

It's an object lesson for any majority who seeks to use their political power to deliberately make the lot of a minority worse. You may one day find yourselves in the minority and at the mercy of a majority who you pissed off in an earlier time, political reforms or no.

I would have a difficult time with this as a blanket position as I doubt that it applies to all, particularly not the young people who are often taking the worst of it. For example, the young ladies who are prime targets for rape were being born about the time apartheid ended. It reminds me very much of the s**t I have heard thrown up at me (particularly in college) about slavery. It ended long before I was born, I never owned a slave, nor did anyone in my family, and my family contributed two men to the Union army and none to the Confederate army. Needless to say, my final response to having this thrown at me is far from diplomatic under the circumstances. Likewise, I have a hard time with the notion that anyone in SA with a pale hide deserves whatever they get.

Top Bottom