Who carries a knife to back up their pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Once the permit comes in the set up will be:
    Walther P99 first gen in 9mm
    2x 15rd mags
    A SOG Vulcan folder in the right pocket
    A SOG Pentagon or Pentagon-Mini on the weak-side belt for retention.

As the saying goes, "Two is one, one is none"

Hansolo777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Honestly, I use my Alfa Benetti Primial Force Folder all the time so I guess you could say my Glock is my back up for my knife. I was trained to use knives since I am also a avid fencer.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Kinda the same reason why people talk about their tricked out 1911 but actually EDC a J Frame. People go on an on about "fixed in a fight" and then carry a folder. The truth is that you need to dance with who brought you. Most people EDC a folder. The only time I EDC a fixed blade is if for some reason I cannot carry a pistol, it then becomes my primary deadly force option. Saying that you are going to use so and so knife to back up your pistol without having trained to do so is wishful thinking. If we can induce stress by having people get out of their seat belts fast, something they do all the time, how do you think it is going to go when they try to deploy their knife to back up their pistol?- George

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Kinda the same reason why people talk about their tricked out 1911 but actually EDC a J Frame. People go on an on about "fixed in a fight" and then carry a folder. The truth is that you need to dance with who brought you. Most people EDC a folder. The only time I EDC a fixed blade is if for some reason I cannot carry a pistol, it then becomes my primary deadly force option. Saying that you are going to use so and so knife to back up your pistol without having trained to do so is wishful thinking. If we can induce stress by having people get out of their seat belts fast, something they do all the time, how do you think it is going to go when they try to deploy their knife to back up their pistol?- George

Personally, I DO EDC a fixed blade. Every day. I hate folders because, in my opinion, no matter how well they're made, they start out broken. The only things I ever use a folder for are simple jobs, like cutting string or clamshell packaging, etc. For anything heaver, fixed blade all the way.

As far as trainers... I haven't been able to find one that is a model of ANY of my particular knives, so I had to go with a trainer that's as close as I can get, and carry it the same way I carry the live blade. It's not perfect, but it's quite a bit better than nothing!

An example of my thinking, and feel free to tell me why I might be wrong: I carried a 1911 for years. I practiced drawing and firing I don't even know how many thousands of times. About 10 years ago I switched to a .40 HiPower. I didn't lose all of my skills and have to start all over again just because I switched pistols. All that training and practice was not wasted, and I adapted to the new pistol very quickly. I view knives the same way. I can adapt from one knife to the next pretty quickly as well. Just because I might switch knives, or have a trainer that's not an exact match, doesn't mean all my practice and training are wasted. Does it?

Anybody who thinks my training and practice were all wasted is welcome to come and see if I can pull my knife out under stress and stab them with it.
    :)

Last edited:

Rennas89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    I'm a little to young to carry a gun so I just carry a fixed blade in a kydex sheath on the back of my belt. The knife is above my wallet and lays sideways just incase I need it.

41mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Carmel
    I don't really carry my knife as a backup but I always have a knife in my pocket as a tool that I use every day. Currently a S&W SWAT.Use it all the time and would not go without one as I haven't from about 1970 and later [grade school].

Chiefpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Marion
    Glock 19 or Ruger LCP depending on clothing. Benchmade mini Dejavoo (gentleman's tactical knife) as EDC. Spyderco Tenacious and SOG trident always nearby in other pocket or carry bag.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Not at the same time, but one or the other.

x519nl.jpg

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    E2 Surefire Exec in my left front and an Emerson Karambit in my front right

-you can blind with the surefire, you can use both the light and karambit as impact weapons

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    One inexpensive S&W SWAT II in my left pocket, in order to be prepared to retain the right handed handgun carry.

Top Bottom