Who carries a knife to back up their pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    That sounds intense Mercop...I would love to get some training with my blade.

I carry a Kershaw Blackout in my front pocket utilizing the clip.

And I would love to have you. About three quarters of this class had trained with me 2-3 times already this year, the intensity got cranked up on them. We try to customize everyone's experience. One guy, a private student of mine dropped his knife so I kicked it away, he had to go open hands with me and did well even though I have 100 lbs on him.- George

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    The AEGIS SOG is fantastic for extreme deep carry. If you look where the clip mounts, you'll see why it makes such a great deep carry blade. You don't notice when it's in my front pocket. When I wear slacks I put it on the waist band behind the belt. It's very light and it's a one-handed assist open. Did I mention it's a fantastic blade?

SOG-Aegis-Digi-Camo-AE-06-600x510.jpg

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My primary folders is a SpyderCo Endura 4 with the wave option, carried strong side.
    My Primary EDC Fixed is a Cold Steel Spike with the Bowie blade, carried centerline between belt and pants.
    My Oh crap back-up cause they took everything else is a BHK Batwing, carried strong side in a custom (jeremy original design) leather sheath in my boot. Unless my boots are removed it'll never be found and is readily accessiable...

On my vest is currently a Ka-Bar TDI carried weak side. Good knife crappy scabard...
    Oh I almost forgot my thigh rig. I have a CRKT Hammond ABC on the inside of the Serpa thigh platform...

cholmstr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Mar 15, 2010
    Greendale, IN
    I think it is wise to have a knife to back up your firearm; one that you carry on your weak side (strong side holds gun).

Yet, this will apply differently then your game. Although I can shoot one handed just fine, it's pretty unlikely that I would even have time to use both weapons. A gunfight will most likely happened very quickly, with no more then maybe 3 shoots fired from both sides (there is an actual stat. on this that I have forgotten at the moment). My focus is going to be on getting my gun out end deploying it as quickly as I can, not playing with my knife and gun at the same time. Then, in that rare case that the gun fight goes longer then 10 seconds and a few shots, a knife in my left hand would only be a hinderence for me changing clips and gun handling and such; most likely if it is a prolonged gunfight, I'll be behind cover and my threats will not be close enough for my knife to be useful.

cholmstr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Mar 15, 2010
    Greendale, IN
    However, it is still good to have that knife on you, and again I recommend weak side, and I also recommend an auto or assisted opener depending on legal restrains. I just got a new knife for (early B-day gift); the wife bought me the new SOG TF-2 trident folder. It would make a great LEO carry knife. It has a safety on it like a firearm, so if a perp got a hold of it, he would have a lot of trouble opening it. Yet, the safety is in perfect alignment with my left hand, so if I pull it from my belt or pocket in reverse grip I can pop the safety and pop the knife open quickly; using no more fine motor skills then I would handling my gun. The tension bar on the knife makes it pop open automatically when I want to deploy. There are a number of other features on the knife too that make this a good pick for LEO, IMHO: http://www.sogknives.com/Folding/SOG-Trident/TF-2.htm

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I always carry at least two knives usually three. Kershaw weak side pocket. Kershaw strong side pocket, and another one on a side pocket or on the waistband.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you need to back up your gun with a knife, you need a better, bigger gun.

Not always...
    Pistols do not make for good Close Quarters work...
    Knives do...
    If they are within 15-20 feet or closer the knife might just be a better option. Most people can cover that distance in 2 seconds or less...

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    However, it is still good to have that knife on you, and again I recommend weak side, and I also recommend an auto or assisted opener depending on legal restrains. I just got a new knife for (early B-day gift); the wife bought me the new SOG TF-2 trident folder. It would make a great LEO carry knife. It has a safety on it like a firearm, so if a perp got a hold of it, he would have a lot of trouble opening it. Yet, the safety is in perfect alignment with my left hand, so if I pull it from my belt or pocket in reverse grip I can pop the safety and pop the knife open quickly; using no more fine motor skills then I would handling my gun. The tension bar on the knife makes it pop open automatically when I want to deploy. There are a number of other features on the knife too that make this a good pick for LEO, IMHO: http://www.sogknives.com/Folding/SOG-Trident/TF-2.htm

holy jeez, i just looked at the knives on SOG's site and there are some really neat ones... then i saw the price tag and my eyes went :eek:

i would love to have something like this, but :wow: thats a lot for me to swallow.. what's a good entry level knife? i'm a noob who would like to have some backup to my daily carry. i also do not have the liberty to carry my gun to work.

thanks!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    i would love to have something like this, but :wow: thats a lot for me to swallow.. what's a good entry level knife? i'm a noob who would like to have some backup to my daily carry. i also do not have the liberty to carry my gun to work.

thanks!

Depends on the size, options, and style of knife you want. Most of the ones I prefer start at around a $100 and go up from there...
    You can get into a good knife for less though. This is just were the types that I prefer land in...
    And get some schooling on how to use a knife, it is not as easy as the kung-fu movies make it out to be... ;)

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    holy jeez, i just looked at the knives on SOG's site and there are some really neat ones... then i saw the price tag and my eyes went :eek:

thanks!

If you like SOG, I saw the SOG Flash II last time I was at Lowes, but I forgot how much it was. I don't think it was more than $50.

Top Bottom