Who carries a knife to back up their pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Carry knife

I have carried a gun for a long time and so I am familiar with the pros and cons of size vs. fire power e.c.t. recently I have been looking at carry knives and would appreciate some input on what features to look for in a knife and what the benefits of those features are.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I have carried a gun for a long time and so I am familiar with the pros and cons of size vs. fire power e.c.t. recently I have been looking at carry knives and would appreciate some input on what features to look for in a knife and what the benefits of those features are.

read through some of the cutting edge threads and maybe start your own on this topic. you may want to be more specific in what exactly you want the knife to do though

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    read through some of the cutting edge threads and maybe start your own on this topic. you may want to be more specific in what exactly you want the knife to do though
    Agreed, do you want fixed or folder? Then we can get started.

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    I always carry either a benchmade cq7 or benchmade gripzillian in my weakside front pocket. Aside from being a back up for my ccw they see daily use for various tasks

stony

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsboro,IN
    Weak side (left front pocket) Hinderer XM-18, was a Kershaw Leek. Gonna start carrying my little PML fixed blade (6.75") cross draw on the belt also.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I carry a M&P knife to compliment my M&P pistol.

S72-264_p.jpg

Milsurp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Indy
    Always have my spyderco endura with me. Great knife. Thinking about having Tom Krein give it a regrind...

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Just got back from another great Edged Weapons class in Quakertown PA. We had our usual group plus some motivated first timers. We finished up today's IET course with the Folder into Fight Drill. You put on headgear and a mouth piece and are armed with a Endura training folder, the rest goe like this-

Panic Push where you simulate trying to distance yourself from you attacker.

Then you grab a hold of two sticks held by another student and go back and forth for 30 seconds to get your heart rate up. When you have 10 seconds left I start tagging you while wearing boxing gloves. We had some advanced students in the class so they get the heat turned up a bit. This accomplishes a few things, the first is inoculating the student to what it feels like to have your bell rung. The second is it will allow them to articulate why they would use a knife to defend themselves even against some open handed attacks.

At the end of the 30 seconds they let go on the sticks and it is one on one. They try to gain the time and distance needed to deploy their folder and I do everything I can to stop them from doing it. Once they get the knife deployed they land some some cuts and we call time.

Something I noticed today as I turned up the intensity is that the good guy was crouching lower and lower from being struck, when he did get his knife out he was very low and just about all the cuts I suffered started above the knee and funneled into the crotch and ripped out. When they felt the hook was set they stood up and I attempted to pull away. It gives me the willies even in training.

We also worked on the use of Inverted Tactics with the stick and open hands. Again, it was a great class. Should have some pics and video up this week.- George

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    That sounds intense Mercop...I would love to get some training with my blade.

I carry a Kershaw Blackout in my front pocket utilizing the clip.

Top Bottom