• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve started to carry my G21sf this week. I don’t know why I don’t carry this more often. In a Kramer OWB horsehide scabbard, it is not much different that carrying a G23 or G30sf. I can feel the length a bit when I’m sitting but it’s not uncomfortable, just there.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I carry a Glock 21 from time to time.

This is the kind of thing I was thinking when I started this thread.

Questions. (for everybody)

So why only from "time to time?"

Do you not like to deal with the size of it?
    Are you worried about it printing?
    Do you just like to change up to suit your mood?

I've heard (read) of people who keep several different guns in rotation for their carry guns. While I'd love to have a bigger gun collection than the few I have, I don't think I'd ever have more than a couple I'd use for daily carry. As it stands, I almost always rely on only one. (though I do have a "dress gun") I think the more you practice, and carry the one, the more it becomes ingrained in you, and it's much easier, and natural to shoot it well.

I also think that the public is a lot more oblivious to printing than the gun industry (who wants to sell guns) would have you believe. The only reason to have a small gun, is as a second back-up. (IMHO)

Just my .02.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    I’ve been wondering the same thing. Does full size generally refer to full capacity? Or, is it more of a case of being a large format pistol?

is the commander sized 1911 in the full size class? If so, it alters my previous response.

My guess is that full size is the ‘no compromise’ form of whatever platform is being discussed. As soon as a compromise is made in either size or capacity to make carry easier, then it’s not the full size version. That gets muddy with revolvers though, as I like the 3” K frame better than the 4” and think that the loss of an inch is not a compromise at all.

I didn't see anyone respond to you.

Full size relates to the frame size. While it's quoted typically as being the barrel size, you're not going to have a 5" barrel on a mini/micro frame.

Commander is a mid-size.

Where it matters more, I think a Revolver has to be at least a 5" barrel before it's considered full-size. But my revolver-fu is not that tight.

Last edited:

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    Before Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, Meijer, Aldi, Albertsons, Safeway, Publix, etc lost their damn minds, I would always carry a full-size. Have 3 on rotation.

Since they went bat**** crazy while it was still summer, I got a "mini" .40 and a Desantis IWB Sof-Tuck. Closer to a mid-size than a mini, it was not that comfy in appendix carry. Quite impingent on the boys. But I wasn't going to go smaller.

Now that it's full-on winter here, I'm back to Full-size carry, everywhere, every day, whenever I leave the house. 4 o'clock SS. IWB with a Desantis "Cozy Partner", and OWB with a Serpa CQC, which is my preferred holster.

I recently got a Remington (RIP Remington) RM380CT, which is a 'micro', for review. And it really is a micro. 2nd smallest .380 on the market. I alternately carry in back pocket, and ankle holster, as a backup to the FS. Ankle has a spot for extra mag. Despite its small size, I was able to clean a steel plate rack 6 for 6 for 6 (6rd mag). That made me an immediate fan and I'm keeping it. Since I'm currently still reviewing it, I have it on me during all waking hours and on the night stand at night. Not any more noticeable in the pocket than a wallet.

I use NeoMag, magentic magazine clips to carry spare mags for the FS. Out of all the different ways to carry spares, that's been the best for me. IWB spare carry digs into me too much.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Before Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, Meijer, Aldi, Albertsons, Safeway, Publix, etc lost their damn minds, I would always carry a full-size. Have 3 on rotation.

Since they went bat**** crazy while it was still summer, I got a "mini" .40 and a Desantis IWB Sof-Tuck. Closer to a mid-size than a mini, it was not that comfy in appendix carry. Quite impingent on the boys. But I wasn't going to go smaller.

Now that it's full-on winter here, I'm back to Full-size carry, everywhere, every day, whenever I leave the house. 4 o'clock SS. IWB with a Desantis "Cozy Partner", and OWB with a Serpa CQC, which is my preferred holster.

I recently got a Remington (RIP Remington) RM380CT, which is a 'micro', for review. And it really is a micro. 2nd smallest .380 on the market. I alternately carry in back pocket, and ankle holster, as a backup to the FS. Ankle has a spot for extra mag. Despite its small size, I was able to clean a steel plate rack 6 for 6 for 6 (6rd mag). That made me an immediate fan and I'm keeping it. Since I'm currently still reviewing it, I have it on me during all waking hours and on the night stand at night. Not any more noticeable in the pocket than a wallet.

I use NeoMag, magentic magazine clips to carry spare mags for the FS. Out of all the different ways to carry spares, that's been the best for me. IWB spare carry digs into me too much.

Where do you post your reviews. I'd like to read them.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    This is the kind of thing I was thinking when I started this thread.

Questions. (for everybody)

So why only from "time to time?"

Not for me anymore. Attacks are on the rise, worse now, by multiple attackers, often out of mischief and not specifically to commit crime (robbery) and I'm not going to have RAGRETS not carrying on the day I get attacked. Everyday, always.

Do you not like to deal with the size of it?
    Are you worried about it printing?
    Do you just like to change up to suit your mood?

Don't mind, used to it.

Nope, I avoid printing but also don't care if I do. But with winter coats, it doesn't happen.

Yes, I rotate 3 FS.

I've heard (read) of people who keep several different guns in rotation for their carry guns. While I'd love to have a bigger gun collection than the few I have, I don't think I'd ever have more than a couple I'd use for daily carry. As it stands, I almost always rely on only one. (though I do have a "dress gun") I think the more you practice, and carry the one, the more it becomes ingrained in you, and it's much easier, and natural to shoot it well.

I practice all of mine in succession, to get my brain used to the feel, heft, position of what I'm holding, so I automatically 'download' the trigger feel, just by holding each certain one. The micro I carry, I haven't gotten used to the switch yet, it has a looooong trigger and it's DAO for safety, so when I go from the light 3.5lb to it, sometimes I miss first bang.

I also think that the public is a lot more oblivious to printing than the gun industry (who wants to sell guns) would have you believe. The only reason to have a small gun, is as a second back-up. (IMHO)

I agree. TBH, I've never seen anyone printing, and I look all the time out of curiosity. Now that I wear an ankle holster, I've started scanning pant leg cuffs too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm a subscriber to the attitude that you pick the best tool for the job of self defense and dress around it. Then you train to run that tool as effectively as possible to where everything related to handling of that firearm is nearly subconscious. Whether you have to clear a heavy coat or heavy t-shirt, it's the same process and same gun.

No such thing in my program as reaching for a different gun in a different place with a different weight, trigger or sights. I cannot afford to hope my self defense rounds will land where I need them to.

The only exception is to have the same regiment for the left hand/BUG/deep cover gun.

Last edited:

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    I'm a subscriber to the attitude that you pick the best tool for the job of self defense and dress around it. Then you train to run that tool as effectively as possible to where everything related to handling of that firearm is nearly subconscious. Whether you have to clear a heavy coat or heavy t-shirt, it's the same process and same gun.

No such thing in my program as reaching for a different gun in a different place with a different weight, trigger or sights. I cannot afford to hope my self defense rounds will land where I need them to.

Well, I hope if you ever have a need to use a gun, it's under perfect circumstances.

I will be practicing for worst case scenarios, and having to use what is at my disposal at that moment.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    To answer the question of ‘Why not full size full time?’: For me, I don’t think that I gain anything going above the P10C/G23/P07 sized guns. That size gun is easy to manipulate and shoot well. I do like occasionally carrying the larger guns but don’t see any real gain given the extra mass being hefted around. That’s just me though and I’m not knocking anyone that goes big full time.

AlienRayGun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 28, 2019
    Indy
    but don’t see any real gain given the extra mass being hefted around

FWIW you lose up to 50 fps per inch of barrel reduction.

That can be around 40 ftlb of energy depending on bullet size. (.40 S&W ex)

More barrel, more twist, more stability.

If barrel length wasn't important I wouldn't carry a full size.

As you said, that's just me though.

For clarification, as the saying goes:
    "The best gun (size, caliber, capacity) is the one you have on you"

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    FWIW you lose up to 50 fps per inch of barrel reduction.

That can be around 40 ftlb of energy depending on bullet size. (.40 S&W ex)

More barrel, more twist, more stability.

If barrel length wasn't important I wouldn't carry a full size.

As you said, that's just me though.

For clarification, as the saying goes:
    "The best gun (size, caliber, capacity) is the one you have on you"

That is a good point. Handguns lack power from the get go, so leaving anything on the table is something to think about.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is a good point. Handguns lack power from the get go, so leaving anything on the table is something to think about.

As long as the bullet is in the velocity envelope it was designed for, angels dancing on a pinhead. 147gr HST passes the FBI protocols from a Shield and from a 16" PCC without much difference. The only real difference is sight radius, which generally makes a gun easier to shoot accurately. More forgiving of sight misalignment, usually easier to track the front sight, but perhaps a touch slower on presentation and not as easy to find the front sight with a bobbled draw/poor index. For those who've elected to run a RDS, especially, not a lot of reason to worry about slide/barrel length with the modern duty calibers and cartridges.

This is more of an issue with cartridges with lots of room for powder, say .357 magnum, where the velocity can vary wildly based on load and barrel length. Running cartridges designed for a lever action rifle in a snub nose, or vice versa, will likely cause an issue. Failure to expand for the first, early expansion/fragmentation for the second. In short, don't worry about ft/lbs on the side of the box. Worry about fps being in the range the engineers designed the bullet for.

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I always try really hard to stick with the same gun I practice with most year round. That being said, in the colder months I switch from a P365 to a Beretta APX full size. I can get gloved fingers through the trigger guard a bit easier with the APX...

Top Bottom