• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    It isn't that I don't know or can't figure out how to post them, it's that I'm not allowed to. The Posting Rules I get when I log on say "You may not post attachments". As I said, I sent a message to Fenway regarding another thread where I wanted to post a couple of pics of my Witness 9x19 and CZ 97B asking why that was so, but have never received any answer. I guess that for some reason I haven't earned that privilege as yet, as the prohibition remains in force. Again, sorry.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Sold an ATC VTAC, SOG Fusion and a KR Johnson French 'Hawk to a forum member.

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

Still have a Swamp Rat Crash Rat, and a couple of inexpensive hawks: a CS Norse Hawk and Frontier Hawk, for throwing.

crashrat24vw1.jpg

ATC has decent products but Prisco has a far-less-than-stellar reputation, costing a lot of reputable folks in the blade industry a good bit of money - Justin Gingrich of Ranger Knives among them. I really kinda surprised Ernie Emerson opted to work with ATC/Prisco.

SOG had some troubles with the first gen Fusion handles breaking. They did a revision of some sort and the troubles lessened. It is a decent economy hawk of the "tactical" style though if you hold an ATC VTAC/CQC in one hand and a Fusion in the other, the quality difference is immediate. ATC really does have a decent product even if the principle is an a$$hat in my opinion. ('Course, that opinion is shared by most folks walking the halls of an industry show.) ;)

One new and great looking hawk - R&D Sayoc/Winkler Tac-Hawk.

tomahawk2.jpg

The K5 Tactical is an great 'hawk that, if I was going to spend the money on an ATC, I would go with this instead. They had some delivery problems when they started 3 years or so ago but they seem to have resolved it now.

TH-S-Large_LRG.jpg

The Graham Bros did a GREAT hawk that was a short run production. I don't think they were sold in large numbers (and they are a custom maker) but they were impeccable! A friend picked one up and I was very impressed.
    gb3a.jpg

My favorite? Well, maybe the Graham Bros but since they are effectively unavailable, then it has got to be the RMJ Forge hawks. These have felt better than any I've ever held. Not cheap, but GREAT quality seldom is inexpensive in GOOD blades. If you're going someplace where it CANNOT fail, then I would go RMJ.
    Copy%20of%20October2002A%20002.jpg

Just want to learn to throw? Get a cheap Cold Steel Norse hawk and get started!

Hawks are fun! If you just want a cheap hatchet, the Gerber/Fiskars is hard to beat!

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Years ago I had one of those $7 combo axe tools with a small hatchet on one side, hammer on the other, and a prybar on the top end. I destroyed it trying to split a log once while camping, and decided to get a higher quality replacement. I bought a Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk, but haven't used it at all yet. The people I went camping with moved to GA, and I moved away from the primitive camping to a pop-up trailer. The last time our group chopped down a tree, I cleared the branches off with a Cold Steel Machete. I still like the dual use idea of an axe edge and hammer pommel, I'm sure it will see some hard use someday.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Years ago I had one of those $7 combo axe tools with a small hatchet on one side, hammer on the other, and a prybar on the top end. I destroyed it trying to split a log once while camping, and decided to get a higher quality replacement. I bought a Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk, but haven't used it at all yet. The people I went camping with moved to GA, and I moved away from the primitive camping to a pop-up trailer. The last time our group chopped down a tree, I cleared the branches off with a Cold Steel Machete. I still like the dual use idea of an axe edge and hammer pommel, I'm sure it will see some hard use someday.

I to have one (paid $5.xx off Ebay I believe) I used it to knock off all the little limbs off a tree I cut down. I keep it in my SHTF backpack, but like you I would like to get a higher quality one.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    sog fusion makes 2 sizes i think cold steel makes a few {4 i think} (riflemans has a hammer on the other side) i think they make one that would serve your purpose called a vietnam tomahawk comes with a leather cover

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    As training and law enforcement consultant for RMJTACTICAL.COM
    I am of course partial. I EDC my Shrike in the Bag of Evil. Part of my job is to break stuff. I have pried open car doors, hoods, smashed cinder blocks with my Shrike with no issues. Try that with other hawks on the market.- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    When you ask people what tool they associate with police, they will say a gun. When you ask the same about a fireman, they will likely say an ax. Why is that? I believe it is a combination of tradition and misunderstanding. The truth is that law enforcement now more than ever put in a position to save lives during rescue situations.

Several years ago, there was a huge push to put Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) in police vehicles. The reasoning was that police are on patrol and are the true first responders, since fire / EMS often has to respond from their house or another part of town. The issuance of AEDs to police is responsible for saving the lives of others who would have otherwise died. The key is getting to victims as fast as possible. Arriving at the scene is only one part of making that happen. They need to be able to get into the structure where victims lie helpless. This supports the case for individual patrol officers having breaching tools at their disposal. Because of size, weight, design and price, I believe the best option is the tactical tomahawk by RMJ Tactical called the Shrike.

Officers are the first responders to a myriad of emergency calls including motor vehicle accidents, structure fires, check the well being calls, and the ambiguous 911 hang up. While serving as a policeman, I had an affinity for “kicking doors” as they say in the business. Having served both as the breacher for our SWAT team and as a patrolman, allowed me to be involved in several different breaching scenarios. Being slow or unsuccessful when breaching a door during a narcotics warrant may result in lost evidence. Doing the same during a house fire or domestic disturbance or working fire may result in lost lives. Imagine responding to a house fire at 3 AM and seeing a victim laying motionless just inside the door and not being able to gain access to help them.

As I already mentioned, the most common way for a patrol officer to gain access to a residence during an emergency is by kicking a door in. Most of the time this does little damage to the door but devastates the frame of the door. Think of the time and money you could save the property owner by using the tomahawk and measured response to pop the door open.

Ask the average patrol officer what he used to break a window at the last motor vehicle accident he responded to and he will most likely say that it was his expandable baton. Not only is the baton engineered and carried to be used as a defensive weapon against people, there is no training that I am aware of where they advise that it be used for an entry tool. It can be very frustrating to beat on a window with your baton while people are trapped inside with the distant sound of rescue vehicles sounding miles away.

By now most officers have received training in reference to responding to an active shooter scenario. Often these incidents take place in schools and other government buildings. These structures usually have heavy exterior and interior doors with windows reinforced with chicken wire. We know from experience that these incidents happen fast. The best-trained, highly motivated officer, carrying the best weapons will be of no use to stop the carnage if he cannot get into the structure.

The tactical tomahawk should be issued and labeled a breaching tool along with other rescue equipment such as the AED, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher. Being able to pierce, pry, pull, and push your way into where victims lay may mean the difference between life and death.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I got a couple and love them, they really take a beating and the abuse, ATC has my buisness....some real penetration and throwing!
    hawk.jpg

Myhawks.jpg

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I got a couple and love them, they really take a beating and the abuse, ATC has my buisness....some real penetration and throwing!
    hawk.jpg

Myhawks.jpg
    your neighbors gonna be mad that your messin up that fence:):

dont think I have any tomahawks but I do have an ax or two and several hatchets..does that count?

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I own 2 ,one is pretty standard the other was made by a mountain man reanacter both have wood handles,great for throwing & scaring the neighbors

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    got a couple of em love em, saw on history channel this guy toally destroyed can in seconds pealing it open like a tin can after that a realized how badddazz they are. btw this is the ones they carry over sandland
    they come in diff colors combos but are virtually indestrutible and bad azz hand to hand weapon wounld rather have than a survival knife, heafy price tag though. civilian 350 military discuont 295. RMJTACTICAL.COM

Top Bottom