• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    In another thread I posted about never being able to spend over $100 on a knife and this thread comes along. If I had the money we are now talking something I could spend serious dough on.

That RMJ is awesome.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Rifleman's Hawk work in progress

Here's a Hawk (cold steel riflemans hawk) I just bought off a felow INGO'er and I decided to refinish it. He already di a lot of file work on the head that made it nice. and he had a patina on it that i decided to change alittle.

so i started by using paint stripper on the hawk head and removing all of the original black paint that still remained.

then I sanded it down further with 200 and then a 400 gritt paper. then i soaked it in a vinegar bath to force a new patina (some of the old remained) this time i wanted a dot pattern, and it turned out cool.

then I sanded the haft and put char rings on it with my torch. then sanded lightly with 400 gritt and stained. its still in the staining process but heres a before and current pics. i will post more when im done.

I also have a trail hawk coming in the mail that I will be customizing soon.

Im open to ideas and suggestions. I must thank Armed&Christian for giving me awesome ideas and for pointing me in the right direction. Also he did a fine job working the hawk head previously.

picture.php

hawk88.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I have tons of Axes, tomahawks, and double headed throwing axes.

My preferances is that my Axe be of one entire peice, and have multiple sharp points.

A really cheap tool, that is a MUST, as it can have a veriaty of purposes served.

I am looking into getting afew peices specially made, but also buying the Norse Hawk from CS.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    E5Ranger, Do you like the gloss from the stain? If you want to mute that you might try some very fine steel wool and rub the gloss about. Just an idea.

The head cleaned up real nice.

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I have a couple of regular wooden throwing 'hawks from my reenactment days. My recent 'hawk purchase is a SOG Fusion. Not real impressed with it. I chopped a couple pieces of wood with it the day I got it. Split them top to bottom ok, but the blade took a beating on what I consider to be a very simple task.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    E5Ranger, Do you like the gloss from the stain? If you want to mute that you might try some very fine steel wool and rub the gloss about. Just an idea.

The head cleaned up real nice.

yeah thats probly what i will do. i dont want a gloss on this one. the pic I took is in-between stain coats.

Tyler, I will let you sharpen it for me for sure.

the trail hawk im getting, im gonna add some brass tacks and also some leather to it.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have a tomahawk that is very similar to a cold steel trail hawk. Tomahawks are great tools. YOu can cut like a knife with it(not easily though) and you can make a shaft in the field. They are alot of fun to throw also. Chopping with them is good and my hawk is usually on me when hiking.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I sharpen and cleaned my camp axe, belt ax, and throwing knife yesterday. My son was over throwing them so the big axe had a big honking knick in it. You sure don't need any thing special in equipment or skill to sharpen a hawk. A file is plenty, any rough stone will do if you want a "fine" edge on a hawk. They aren't meant to shave with. About the first time you really use it, you've wasted your time.

Both my hawks are from HBForge and they are hand hammered and forge welded with hard steel in the middle and the pummel and outside steel folded over so the edge stays sharp but it's not brittle.

No fancy tacks, leather thongs or pretty ribbons, but they are exactly what people who bet their lives on them every single day and used them to survive every single day carried.

Videos Mine :: Tomahawk Toss 49 video by JackPatrickRyan - Photobucket

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I sharpen and cleaned my camp axe, belt ax, and throwing knife yesterday. My son was over throwing them so the big axe had a big honking knick in it. You sure don't need any thing special in equipment or skill to sharpen a hawk. A file is plenty, any rough stone will do if you want a "fine" edge on a hawk. They aren't meant to shave with. About the first time you really use it, you've wasted your time.

Both my hawks are from HBForge and they are hand hammered and forge welded with hard steel in the middle and the pummel and outside steel folded over so the edge stays sharp but it's not brittle.

No fancy tacks, leather thongs or pretty ribbons, but they are exactly what people who bet their lives on them every single day and used them to survive every single day carried.

this riflemans hawk will be my woodland carry hawk. i can fight with it if need be, and I can use it as a tool to survive also. My vietnam tomahawk is a pure killing and breaching machine for urban warfare. the trail hawk is gonna be decorated and hung on my wall as a tribute to the brave Pathfinders before us.

I hope i only have to use them for throwing and fun purposes. I realy like the traditional look, im not into the modern hawks all that much.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    this riflemans hawk will be my woodland carry hawk. i can fight with it if need be, and I can use it as a tool to survive also. My vietnam tomahawk is a pure killing and breaching machine for urban warfare. the trail hawk is gonna be decorated and hung on my wall as a tribute to the brave Pathfinders before us.

I hope i only have to use them for throwing and fun purposes. I realy like the traditional look, im not into the modern hawks all that much.

Nice work on the hawk. Have you ever checked out the Hawk forum at Blade Forums? They have some cool work , with re shaped heads, custom handles,etc... I have a CS throwing Hawk. But would really like to get a riflemans hawk and do some customizing .

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've had a tomahawk since I was 14, hand made, we used them for throwing competition, with the Kentucky Corps of Longrifles, my dad used an old car spring for the blade....split many a tomahawk handle with it!!!! I wasn't tacticool, it was what we did to recreate the mountain man time period...Flintlocks ....the original assault rifle!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Nice work on the hawk. Have you ever checked out the Hawk forum at Blade Forums? They have some cool work , with re shaped heads, custom handles,etc... I have a CS throwing Hawk. But would really like to get a riflemans hawk and do some customizing .

yeah, armedandchristian turned me onto it. after 40 some pages :n00b:, i got some great ideas.

I wish i had a forge so i could do my own custom stuff. id like to try and make one out of a railroad spike.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ... the trail hawk is gonna be decorated and hung on my wall as a tribute to the brave Pathfinders before us.

Sooner or later, I'd take it down and throw it. Then it would get a scratch on it. Next it would get a chip on it, pretty soon...

That's why I can't have nothing nice.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    yeah, armedandchristian turned me onto it. after 40 some pages :n00b:, i got some great ideas.

I wish i had a forge so i could do my own custom stuff. id like to try and make one out of a railroad spike.

A ball peen hammer makes a great hawk. A railroad spike is really too soft.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have one I made from a railroad spike. Took it to a royal ranger camp to throw with the kids. I like 2 others lying round, a crazy crow "blackhawk" that's ok and a cold steel norsehawk that's great for throwing/playing handles/etc....

Top Bottom