Who makes a top quality made in USA 1911 these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Current production Colts are made as good (or better) than Colt has ever made them. Colt has updated their tolerances with the help of modern CNC manufacturing. This idea that Colt is not producing good guns is ludicrous. Just my :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Current production Colts are made as good (or better) than Colt has ever made them. Colt has updated their tolerances with the help of modern CNC manufacturing. This idea that Colt is not producing good guns is ludicrous. Just my :twocents:

Most of these opinions (Including mine) are based off of production models made in the last few years. Admittedly I have not fondled any of the new overpriced offerings to make a judgement. They did go down the crapper and not all that long ago. JMHO of course. No knock if you like-em.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

In all fairness I haven't looked at the new Colt handguns in about 6 months. Glad to know they are getting their stuff together.
    I only handled them at a couple of LGS. Quite honestly I was very disappointed in the 70 series Re-issue models.
    Since Colt has new CNC tooling I'll have to look at them again.
    My last Colt 1911 new purchase was the USMC CQB Limited Edition. That was a lot of money for not much of a "Yeller' rail gun". I hope that's not what you're basing your standards on.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Who makes a top quality made in USA 1911 these days?

I have Les Baer 1911s (I have others, but top quality for me means Les Baer) and am very happy, but there are many choices in today's market.

I'll name two others and then stop . . . I promise . . . sort of.

Volkmann: Volkmann Precision, LLC. The Finest Custom 1911, 1911A1, M1911's Hand-Crafted by Luke Volkmann

Heirloom Precision (check out that Clint Smith Signature Model *drool*): Clint Smith Signature - heirloomprecision.com

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My colt is superb, I'd like another one at some point this year! The ruger isn't bad usually, a used Springfield is solid, Dan Wesson, les Baer. $$$ are always driving the search area but I am a Colt fanboy. Lol Mine is smooth and accuracy/function are fantastic.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a friend who is a machinist for cabot guns ( Cabot Gun | an American Gun Company) and there machined, assembled, and tested here in Fort Wayne.....

But I'm not a 1911 guy.....

I did shoot one of these at the range. It was superb pistol. When I went to find who made them I got nowhere. Thanks for the link.

the one I shot was a vintage classic with mother of pearl grips. I remember it had stars in the trigger. The price is just out of reach for a working man. I believe he paid over 3k. He also said it was mid range price option of those pistols.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I did shoot one of these at the range. It was superb pistol. When I went to find who made them I got nowhere. Thanks for the link.

the one I shot was a vintage classic with mother of pearl grips. I remember it had stars in the trigger. The price is just out of reach for a working man. I believe he paid over 3k. He also said it was mid range price option of those pistols.
    Within the last month I saw a used Cabot for well over $3k and a new one for over $4K. Nice guns. I didn't get to shoot either.
    I'll probably keep an eye out for one of AllenMs hand fit when I get the hot rod done. I hope I'll get it done anyway. I can lose focus if everything doesn't go smooth. I'm too damned old for headaches in life now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Most of these opinions (Including mine) are based off of production models made in the last few years. Admittedly I have not fondled any of the new overpriced offerings to make a judgement. They did go down the crapper and not all that long ago. JMHO of course. No knock if you like-em.

If you recall, I let you shoot my Colt O1992 9mm 1911 when we did the morning shoot out at MCFG. It's a pretty gun, but it's also one of the loosest 1911s I own. As was my Delta Elite, but that's a 2014 production gun. The 9mm 1911 was just picked up last December and I believe it's a 2016 production gun. It runs well, but I'm still not impressed with the quality as compared to Dan Wessons or even Sig 1911s. On the up side, it only set me back $646, so I definitely got my money's worth. It's easily the best sub $700 1911 available if you buy them right.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I wouldnt touch Springfield or Colt. Not new. New Colts are not very well made and after the crap springfield pulled in Illinois I won't buy one of those either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you recall, I let you shoot my Colt O1992 9mm 1911 when we did the morning shoot out at MCFG. It's a pretty gun, but it's also one of the loosest 1911s I own. As was my Delta Elite, but that's a 2014 production gun. The 9mm 1911 was just picked up last December and I believe it's a 2016 production gun. It runs well, but I'm still not impressed with the quality as compared to Dan Wessons or even Sig 1911s. On the up side, it only set me back $646, so I definitely got my money's worth. It's easily the best sub $700 1911 available if you buy them right.

Yup.....getting :oldwise: sucks.
    I remember that one. Just backs up my opinion. It ran but the fit sucked.
    No knock on the gun.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yup.....getting :oldwise: sucks.
    I remember that one. Just backs up my opinion. It ran but the fit sucked.
    No knock on the gun.

It might be a knock on the gun... OR.... Some of us have higher standards on what we expect out of a 1911.
    IF you're like me you fell in love with the 1911 in original issued form. Those old "45s"fit and ran. You could take about any old 1911 and interchange parts with about any other 1911. TRUE MIL SPEC.
    They didn't need any work. We never even heard of changing springs in them back then. Hell, one of my 1943s I got from my uncle is still all original. I took it out and ran a couple of mags through it about a year ago. Oh, original mags and some 1952 surplus ball. It's loose, rattles, got as much brown in the finish as blue, and still hit dead center (1" low left military) at 10 yards. All shots touching.
    I love those old 1911s. On the other hand... the newer high performance, modded up, shiny, "better than original" guns have some advantages. It's easy to get spoiled.
    For a plain Jane old "45" give me a standard Colt. Older preferably.
    I'm spoiled now. I only want a good hand fit, hand made custom 1911. When you start paying upwards of $2K there isn't a lot of difference in good 1911s. Only preferences.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Ed Brown and don't look back.

From what I hear, their guns are amazing, but their customer service has gone downhill to the point of disaster. There are lots of reports around how their CS group has been treating their customers like crap. For me, no matter how good the guns are, I try to support companies that treat their customers well.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    From what I hear, their guns are amazing, but their customer service has gone downhill to the point of disaster. There are lots of reports around how their CS group has been treating their customers like crap. For me, no matter how good the guns are, I try to support companies that treat their customers well.

That sounds more like Baer than Brown.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    [video=youtube;BMs8b7U2tsI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMs8b7U2tsI[/video]

[video=youtube;1qyXzuha0To]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qyXzuha0To[/video]

Ed Brown gave this guy some butt hurt 'cause he didn't make time for him to be interviewed. Reporter's side of the story for sure.
    One instance doesn't make it a pattern of behavior.
    I love Baer guns. I've heard from some owners of Baer guns that had issues that Baer told them there was nothing wrong with the gun 'cause he didn't make bad guns.
    The last problem Baer only needed a new mag release to fix the issue of a magazine NOT locking in the new out of the box gun.
    Same thing goes though... A couple of instances don't make a pattern. I don't like frozen asparagus, only fresh. It doesn't make all asparagus bad does it?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ed Brown gave this guy some butt hurt 'cause he didn't make time for him to be interviewed. Reporter's side of the story for sure.
    One instance doesn't make it a pattern of behavior.
    I love Baer guns. I've heard from some owners of Baer guns that had issues that Baer told them there was nothing wrong with the gun 'cause he didn't make bad guns.
    The last problem Baer only needed a new mag release to fix the issue of a magazine NOT locking in the new out of the box gun.
    Same thing goes though... A couple of instances don't make a pattern. I don't like frozen asparagus, only fresh. It doesn't make all asparagus bad does it?
    No and I agree the "blogger" came across as a pompous boob. I have heard from other people that Ed can be a little rough, but others love him. As you say, Les can be as well, depending. If I call Baer right now, I have a good chance that Les will answer the phone. From what I understand you sometimes have to work hard to get him to believe there is a problem with the gun. Once you do, he is all over it to get you fixed up. It is just that most of the people taht call are just dopes. They haven't finished his famous break in period, they are using reloads they bought off a guy in parking lot of a gun show, they are using the $6 magazines they ran into, they took the gun apart and have parts left over now, or didn't put it back together right. I am sure I would be hard to get along with after a few years of that.

Top Bottom