Who makes a top quality made in USA 1911 these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Nothing wrong with a basic 1911. I'm not familiar with the Ruger, except to note that it has a cast frame and slide, rather than forged and the internals are MIM parts. The OP said that he already had basic 1911's, but was looking at getting a 1911 "tuned for accuracy". There is a big difference between basic 1911's and accurized ones and the higher price reflects the extra work, trigger job, tool steel internals, match barrel and bushing and forged slide and frames. Many years ago, I bought a brand new series 70 Colt Gold Cup National Match pistol. Although reliable, the trigger wasn't up to the hype of "Match" that Colt stamped on the slide. I had a trigger job done. Not only the substandard trigger pull, but the accuracy wasn't what a match pistol should have been. When my skill began to exceed the gun's accuracy, I ordered a Clark Custom accurized Colt 1911 from Jim Clark, Sr. I still have it. It lacks nothing and is so far above the quality of any factory pistol that says "Match" or "Trophy' on the slide, that there is no comparison. As I said in an earlier post, I have a Springfield Armory Trophy Match. After replacing the internals with Cylinder and Slide tool steel parts (read trigger job) and fitting a Wilson bushing to the barrel, it is a decent pistol, but still not up to the quality of the Clark Custom. I cannot speak for the quality of work at Clark Custom the last couple of decades. So yep, bare bones stock 1911's have their place, but the OP was asking about 1911's "tuned for accuracy".

I read his question as "a good American made 1911 that could be tuned up". Re-reading the original post I see that the post is asking for an out-of-the-box professionally tuned 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's funny, I have the Springfield MC Operator - it's basically the loaded, except it has a rail. I can honestly do without it. The rail just adds extra weight, and I have no interest in putting a light on it.

I've heard the Springfield TRP is a pretty nice target handgun.

I have owned several TRP's and as they stack up to other 1911's they have their place.
    In truth a good Loaded is not that far off and still more accurate than the average shooter.
    If you can find a nicely fit (yes, the slide/frame fit will vary) Range Officer these are a great platform to build a custom on. Finding the right one might require handling a few which negates buying on line.
    I have never owned any out of the box production 1911 that could not benefit from some tuning. Especially the Rugers I have owned. We all have our standards.
    Doing a proper barrel bushing and ignition pieces really puts some life into them. Some even need a little work on lock up.
    Out of the box they will all be fun to run. As accurate as a lot of shooters.
    Once you get one tuned up it is a whole new level.
    Run a seriously tuned piece and you will be spoiled.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have owned several TRP's and as they stack up to other 1911's they have their place.
    In truth a good Loaded is not that far off and still more accurate than the average shooter.
    If you can find a nicely fit (yes, the slide/frame fit will vary) Range Officer these are a great platform to build a custom on. Finding the right one might require handling a few which negates buying on line.
    I have never owned any out of the box production 1911 that could not benefit from some tuning. Especially the Rugers I have owned. We all have our standards.
    Doing a proper barrel bushing and ignition pieces really puts some life into them. Some even need a little work on lock up.
    Out of the box they will all be fun to run. As accurate as a lot of shooters.
    Once you get one tuned up it is a whole new level.
    Run a seriously tuned piece and you will be spoiled.
    Churchmouse. I own a SA Loaded and a SA Trophy Match in stainless. Both of these pistols came with MIM internals, i.e., hammer, sear, disconnector. Does the TRP come with MIM internals? It has been my experience that I can't get a nice clean trigger break with MIM parts compared to tooled steel internals. I am of the opinion that tooled steel internals are a must for any real "tuned"/ "accurized" 1911. What say you? You apparently have a lot of experience with various brands of 1911. Besides pistols like the Rock River, Les Baer, Ed Brown etc. what other platforms now come with tooled steel internals?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse. I own a SA Loaded and a SA Trophy Match in stainless. Both of these pistols came with MIM internals, i.e., hammer, sear, disconnector. Does the TRP come with MIM internals? It has been my experience that I can't get a nice clean trigger break with MIM parts compared to tooled steel internals. I am of the opinion that tooled steel internals are a must for any real "tuned"/ "accurized" 1911. What say you? You apparently have a lot of experience with various brands of 1911. Besides pistols like the Rock River, Les Baer, Ed Brown etc. what other platforms now come with tooled steel internals?

Most every 1911 that comes over the counter is full of MIM parts these days. Including the TRP.
    I gave up trying to get a decent trigger with the MIM pieces. It just does not come close the the tooled steel offerings. You can get the weight on break down but the glass rod crisp snap just is not there.

I have never broke the bank to buy the high end builder 1911's as I prefere to build my own for less money, more fun for me and have a piece that while not a pretty as a Valor will run right with it.
    I have been blessed to have shot so many Baers, Wilsons, Browns and the like. While always a pleasant experience and impressive to fondle I am so much happier with the custom and Hot Rod pieces we have built.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Most every 1911 that comes over the counter is full of MIM parts these days. Including the TRP.
    I gave up trying to get a decent trigger with the MIM pieces. It just does not come close the the tooled steel offerings. You can get the weight on break down but the glass rod crisp snap just is not there.

I have never broke the bank to buy the high end builder 1911's as I prefere to build my own for less money, more fun for me and have a piece that while not a pretty as a Valor will run right with it.
    I have been blessed to have shot so many Baers, Wilsons, Browns and the like. While always a pleasant experience and impressive to fondle I am so much happier with the custom and Hot Rod pieces we have built.

There's definitely nothing sweeter than catching a fish with a fly you tied, shooting a target with a round you made, or shooting a gun you built. There's a level of satisfaction that comes from having made whatever you're using. For me though, I don't have the time to learn how to do a really good job building a 1911. I do really admire seeing guys shoot their own guns that they made themselves.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    There's definitely nothing sweeter than catching a fish with a fly you tied, shooting a target with a round you made, or shooting a gun you built. There's a level of satisfaction that comes from having made whatever you're using. For me though, I don't have the time to learn how to do a really good job building a 1911. I do really admire seeing guys shoot their own guns that they made themselves.

so true!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Agree completely!

Top Bottom