Who makes a top quality made in USA 1911 these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'll repeat:
    Dan Wesson. All USA, no mim parts.
    In the $1400-1700 range, i don't know what real competition they have for quality.
    That's my 2 cents anyways.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ^^^

That guy got taken for one hell of a trip!! Also am I the only one here that thinks that a cast grip safety on a $2,000+ gun is totally unacceptable (based on the information in the AR15 thread)???

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The list, not inclusive, may include Colt, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Republic Forge, Cabot Arms, Wilson Combat, Springfield Armory and many others I don't remember.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    So a company famous for "bargain bin" AR-15's now think they can make a $2,000 1911? That is laughable at best considering the already well established competition in that particular market segment. That and after what they pulled with Springfield that Rock River can take a long walk off a short cliff.

Can't speak about their current product, but RRA used to manufacture 1911's on par with Baer, Wilson, etc. That was before they went strictly AR-15's.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So a company famous for "bargain bin" AR-15's now think they can make a $2,000 1911? That is laughable at best considering the already well established competition in that particular market segment. That and after what they pulled with Springfield that Rock River can take a long walk off a short cliff.
    Well, speaking from first hand experience, they were making accurized 1911's many years ago before the great AR-15 boom, when they suspended production. I handled many of their pistols in the past and they are very impressive. The best machine rest group I've ever seen was shot with a Rock River Wadcutter pistol. It printed a sub 1" group of 10 shots at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest. My buddy was using his own reload of 4.6 grains of Alliant Bullseye under a Nosler 185 grain JHP. I don't own a Rock River 1911. I do own one of their national match rifles and I think it is higher quality than "bargain bin". I'm unaware of the politics of which you speak, so maybe you can enlighten me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well speaking of first hand experience. They were making accurized 1911's many years ago before the great AR-15 boom, when they suspended production. I handled many of their pistols in the past and they are very impressive. The best machine rest group I've ever seen was shot with a Rock River Wadcutter pistol. It printed a sub 1" group of 10 shots at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest. My buddy was using his own reload of 4.6 grains of Alliant Bullseye under a Nosler 185 grain JHP. I don't own a Rock River 1911. I do own one of their national match rifles and I think it is higher quality than "bargain bin". I'm unaware of the politics of which you speak, so maybe you can enlighten me.

In conversation with a couple of other old dogs I have been reminded that I shot one of these years ago.
    Recollections put it on par with a Kimber of the Era.

The politics are recent.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Can't speak about their current product, but RRA used to manufacture 1911's on par with Baer, Wilson, etc. That was before they went strictly AR-15's.
    IIRC, the two brothers who founded Rock River Arms, used to work for Les Baer. They had a big falling out with Les and decided to go out on their own.

Top Bottom