• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Started going there when I was a small kid. They had everything a man would want there. We followed up with a treat at the root beer drive up restaurant (Hannon's?) up the street on US 30.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yes it was a very interesting place. Have bought some items at Fetlas but it was many, many years ago, so don't remember what I purchased. You could really spend a whole day there and still not see everything. I was born and raised in Roselawn in the 40's and 50's, worked at Youngstown Steel mill in East Chicago in the 60's. Often shopped in Lowell, Gary, Crown Point, Valpo etc. during that era.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I moved to Valpo in 1995, I was a poor (no joke) student. I discovered Fetla's shortly...but never did scrape together the $79 for one of those SKSs- stupid!, stupid!, stupid!

All that baby food and rent I paid is gone now, but if I would only have prioritized correctly, I'd still have an SKS.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I miss that place. At one point years after they closed, the building was going to be turned into an indoor range. I can't recall what killed that idea.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I went there a few times as a kid, about 13 years ago. I bought a couple of air soft guns there. Would have been nice if I could have seen all of their firearms on display in their heyday

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I can think of several things we have that were bought there, but my kids LOVED when we went there. The only gun I can think of that we still have that was bought there is the .223 varmint rifle. It is worth WAY more than we paid for it when it was new.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When I moved to Valpo in 1995, I was a poor (no joke) student. I discovered Fetla's shortly...but never did scrape together the $79 for one of those SKSs- stupid!, stupid!, stupid!

All that baby food and rent I paid is gone now, but if I would only have prioritized correctly, I'd still have an SKS.

Bah. Babies eat anything. Wasted money.

I miss that place. At one point years after they closed, the building was going to be turned into an indoor range. I can't recall what killed that idea.

Locals were "appalled" that someone wanted a gun range. What kind of "people" would that attract.
    Never mind the fact they didn't know Blythe's has a range, and crime didn't skyrocket.
    Most of them didn't even know Blythe's had a range.
    Or that there are a buttload of regulations that had to be followed.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Don't remember the junk store days although have heard much about them. I dropped in a few times when wife was in college there. Wasn't impressed with anything and never purchased a thing. Right up there with Gander neither will be missed.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My dad bought me my first gun there. It was an awesome store. I still look at it and reminisce when I drive by if I am up visiting family. Anyone remember their tent sales? That used to be where we'd go to buy school clothes. My dad had a long history with the original owner.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Don't remember the junk store days although have heard much about them. I dropped in a few times when wife was in college there. Wasn't impressed with anything and never purchased a thing. Right up there with Gander neither will be missed.

I never went in after Burt Langer sold it. What you remember must be it's later years

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The building was owned for many years by Opportunity Enterprises and the building was in need of repairs and sold a few years ago and was tore down and the new building is a building supply company.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The building was owned for many years by Opportunity Enterprises and the building was in need of repairs and sold a few years ago and was tore down and the new building is a building supply company.

I think I remember seeing them tearing it down. I'm not allowed to drive that way anymore because I end up at the landscaping place...and that gets rather expensive. :):

JDG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    LaPorte County
    I remember my buddy buying a Norinco SKS from a giant crate for all of $99. That had to be back in the early 90's. I lived all of but 2 mile from there all through high school. They had a lot of junk, but there were deals to be had.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I went there a few times in highschool (around 2002/2003) and bought a bunch of airsoft stuff and weird knives. I remember guns being down every aisle, all over the place. I wish we still had something like that around here.

Top Bottom