• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    And people my age will speak fondly about back when ammo was sold at Walmart.

It really is stunning how much ground we've lost.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Just before "The Gun Control Act of '68'......

Sunshine Ace Hardware, in Naples Fla.---Marlin Golden 39A , purchased by me with paper route $$.==$89.95 + Tax-New out the door..Bill.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I remember Coast To Coast hardware in Winamac Indiana. Loved going in and looking (sometimes buying) at their gun counter. It was inside to the immediate left when you entered the store. Store is still there just no more gun counter? Not sure why the guns went away? Sad...:(

I also remember in Royal Center Indiana. The Royal Center hardware built circa 1913. They no longer carried guns in the store circa 1990's. However...on the walls they still had the ORIGINAL adds for Winchester, Remington etc... from 1913 thru about 1940's. These were the original adds they used when they did sell guns and ammo back in the day. I tried to buy some of the old advertisement but they would not sell. They knew what they had. No I did not "low ball then either".

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dad bought me my first gun when I was 12-13 (1958-9), a Winchester Model 67, from Swinford's Texaco, about 5600 N Michigan Rd, Indy. Lapos Hardware was 4 blocks farther north. We could get a box of .22 short for a quarter there. I have a 12 gauge pump that has both JC Higgins and Sears & Roebuck model numbers. The Western Auto that was on the SE corner of Washington & Alabama in the late 60s sold guns. Diagonally across from Police HQ. Em-Roe Sporting Goods, 209 W Washington St, Indy had tons of guns. They were much like the original Galyan's Plainfield store.

I vaguely remember Em-Roe having a store in Southern Plaza too I think.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Loooong time ago and I was quite young, Bloomington had a Schmaltz's store just off of the square. Clothing, stuffed animals (huge standing grizz at the top of the stairs as I recall) and it was the Boy Scout Store as well. I was not into firearms back then as much as now. Anyone remember this store?? Good ol' creaky wooden floors too. I loved going in there.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    DonÂ’t really remember hardware stores selling guns did buy 22Â’s at RossÂ’s Hardware in Muncie. Do remember looking the Remington nylon 66 at Kmart. First the black ones then the brown.

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My Grandfather purchased my first rifle at a Western Auto store in early 1974. I was 15 years old and on, cloud nine, all the way home! It was a Ruger 10/22 carbine model and i still have it in the factory condition. I still have a few cartridges in the first box of ammunition he gave me with the rifle. Wonderful memories!!

Top Bottom