• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The MR. WIGGS store in Richmond was the place I started drueling over handguns. I don't recall ever seeing another MR. WIGGS store. Airway in Richmond had long guns, along with Sears and Kmart. I don't recall if Grants had guns or not.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    True value in Plymouth Indiana has a gun shop in the back, I bought a smith and Wesson there and a bunch of ammo. Reasonable prices and good guys behind the counter

Most excellent place.
    Better stocked than most larger gun shops along with hardware.
    If I lived closer to Plymouth, this would be the hangout I would be at.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I remember Sears and K mart. Used to drool over the x mas catalog every year from K's Merchandise Mart. Always wanted the Marlin 60 with the squirrel on the stock. Loved going into Salkelds Sports in Kankakee IL up the creeky wood stairs seeing all the taxidermy, firearms, traps, and fishing stuff.

Were several mom and pops shops in Bradley IL. Several old dudes hung out in there telling stories and smoking cigs. I was a young fella and rode my bicycle down there on occasion to peer in the window and sometimes go in. Talking with the owner one day about me wanting to try my hand at squirrel hunting he grabbed a bag and emptied the shelf of .22lr mini mags and told me to go have fun. All these places are gone. It hurts.

Was recently down at Whitikers in KY and found a Western Auto marked Marlin 60. Looked like it just came out of the box. Was priced at 99 bucks. I regret not picking it up and almost went back for it.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    When I was a kid, GUARANTEE AUTO had a barrel of surplus Enfields for $10 each. I asked dad if I could have one and he said they were probably worn out. I was told if I could find one with a good bore I could have it. I went through the barrel of Enfields and found what I thought was the best one. I took it to dad he didn't touch it but he looked at the muzzle and ask me how I could tell if the bore was good when it was full of cosmoline. I did not know what a bore was. I put it back in the barrel. I was told not to touch anything until I cleaned my hands. We went to the garage area of the store and someone took me to the sink to wash with mechanics soap.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On the counter at Western Auto in Salem (when it was on the Square) they had .22LR for impulse buying.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Loooong time ago and I was quite young, Bloomington had a Schmaltz's store just off of the square. Clothing, stuffed animals (huge standing grizz at the top of the stairs as I recall) and it was the Boy Scout Store as well. I was not into firearms back then as much as now. Anyone remember this store?? Good ol' creaky wooden floors too. I loved going in there.

My 1st shotgun, a Topper model 58 in 410 came from Schmaltz’s in about 1978. Hardware. Camping all kinds of stuff. That big grizzly was awesome. I still run into one of the fellows who worked there in the gun dept. ( he’s a friend of my fathers and mine). He’s getting up there. If I recall correctly they shut down in the early .80’s.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was at my LGS last year when an old timer brought in a S&W box that had the original no dash model 29 in it and the receipt where he paid $125 at Bush-Keller in New Albany years ago...

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I took my Winchester into Kablin's (Michigan City mall) to get a scope installed. Remember the clerk giving me (about 14) a hard time when I bought 3 500 round .22lr bricks. He asked why I needed that much (it was on sale for $5.54 each, normally around $6), I told him I miss a lot.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I bought my first rifle; a Springfield 22lr at Coast-to-Coast hardware store in Mason, Michigan. I used to work for anyone that would hire me for equivalent of $ in 22lr ammo.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    The local hardware store in my hometown in Western KS still has a gun counter. The selection isn't very large, but you can get the necessities there.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    My 1st shotgun, a Topper model 58 in 410 came from Schmaltz’s in about 1978. Hardware. Camping all kinds of stuff. That big grizzly was awesome. I still run into one of the fellows who worked there in the gun dept. ( he’s a friend of my fathers and mine). He’s getting up there. If I recall correctly they shut down in the early .80’s.
    The next door kid's Mom worked there. Seems like her name was Helen. That's a long time ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember Sears and K mart. Used to drool over the x mas catalog every year from K's Merchandise Mart. Always wanted the Marlin 60 with the squirrel on the stock. Loved going into Salkelds Sports in Kankakee IL up the creeky wood stairs seeing all the taxidermy, firearms, traps, and fishing stuff.

Were several mom and pops shops in Bradley IL. Several old dudes hung out in there telling stories and smoking cigs. I was a young fella and rode my bicycle down there on occasion to peer in the window and sometimes go in. Talking with the owner one day about me wanting to try my hand at squirrel hunting he grabbed a bag and emptied the shelf of .22lr mini mags and told me to go have fun. All these places are gone. It hurts.

Was recently down at Whitikers in KY and found a Western Auto marked Marlin 60. Looked like it just came out of the box. Was priced at 99 bucks. I regret not picking it up and almost went back for it.

The west side K-Mart had a great gun counter. Well it was great to a 17 year old anyway.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    The next door kid's Mom worked there. Seems like her name was Helen. That's a long time ago.

dont know Helen. The guy I know is Dennis. After they closed he ended up opening his own shop for several years in Ellettsville. I think even that’s been gone since the mid 90’s. He’s retired now. But still likes to play with shootin irons.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When we spent time at the family farm in Greencastle there was a Hardware store that sold guns/ammo and we got our supply's there. Exactly where it was is a faded memory but it had creaky hardwood floors and about any and every thing you would ever need. Not sure what became of it but I think the building is long gone.

I was 12 or so when I 1st went in there. Last visit was maybe 18.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    When we spent time at the family farm in Greencastle there was a Hardware store that sold guns/ammo and we got our supply's there. Exactly where it was is a faded memory but it had creaky hardwood floors and about any and every thing you would ever need. Not sure what became of it but I think the building is long gone.

I was 12 or so when I 1st went in there. Last visit was maybe 18.

Best hardware stores were always on a town square and had creaky hardwood floors!

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    In the summer we would walk to the East Washington Kmart to ogle their guns. I remember falling in love with M1 carbines there. I bought my first .30-30 at Sears and Roebuck. My first handgun was a High Standard Sentinel from Maces Jewelry and Sporting Goods at 21st and Post.

Top Bottom