• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

But what if they were pressured by the feds to do this? Culpable deniability at its finest; Say you wont compromise privacy, then turn around and make it so at least by default, (if not the only option) so that .gov gets what they want, and you can claim you did nothing wrong. It is either incredibly sly, or extremely short sighted given that court ruling. In the latter, I could see it being the equivalent of some teens broadcasting illegal acts on youtube; a "hey y'all, watch this!" followed by "Dayum, we probably shouldnt have done that. We werent thinking the police might see us doing this. Now we are busted." In both cases, they were blinded by the cool factor without thinking about the repercussions.

And if the feds can simply hold the device up to their face, they are in. Apple doesnt have to (actively) cooperate in the process at all and can still claim they are protecting us by refusing to help LEO unlock devices if they are asked to. (they wont have to ask Cupertino any longer)

And as I type I wonder... What if you are dead? or asleep? Does it still work? Can your teen kid quietly grab your phone off the nightstand, hold it up to your face in the dark as you snore then go use the phone or buy something with it now that they are tying the wallet to it?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh yeah, Apple wouldn't open the San Bernardino terrorist's phone.

Why Apple Says It Won't Help Unlock That iPhone, In 5 Key Quotes : The Two-Way : NPR

Apple opposes order to help FBI unlock phone belonging to San Bernardino shooter - LA Times

650x366

Probably one of the best business decisions Apple ever made.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don't buy Apple products....I just can't afford them when they are double the price of very comparable products. I think the iPhones are too fragile for my environment anyway. Companies have built an industry around just replacing the broken glass in the things. Nope...too dainty for me.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But what if they were pressured by the feds to do this? Culpable deniability at its finest; Say you wont compromise privacy, then turn around and make it so at least by default, (if not the only option) so that .gov gets what they want, and you can claim you did nothing wrong. It is either incredibly sly, or extremely short sighted given that court ruling. In the latter, I could see it being the equivalent of some teens broadcasting illegal acts on youtube; a "hey y'all, watch this!" followed by "Dayum, we probably shouldnt have done that. We werent thinking the police might see us doing this. Now we are busted." In both cases, they were blinded by the cool factor without thinking about the repercussions.

And if the feds can simply hold the device up to their face, they are in. Apple doesnt have to (actively) cooperate in the process at all and can still claim they are protecting us by refusing to help LEO unlock devices if they are asked to. (they wont have to ask Cupertino any longer)

And as I type I wonder... What if you are dead? or asleep? Does it still work? Can your teen kid quietly grab your phone off the nightstand, hold it up to your face in the dark as you snore then go use the phone or buy something with it now that they are tying the wallet to it?

+1 the Feds didn't ask Apple to open a single phone. They asked for a program to circumvent ALL Apple phones. That a pretty huge leap, akin to not a key that just opens your door, buy everyone else's as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Beat the System: Don’t laugh — that $1,000 iPhone could be a genius move for Apple

...Is the $999 price tag for the iPhone X too high?

Some people clearly think so. They think Apple AAPL, -0.40% has finally overreached. They think this thing could be Tim Cook’s folly. Apple stock, which had risen on news of the new cellular Apple Watch, slid after the high-end phone was unveiled.

Even the crowd at the Steve Jobs Theater wasn’t impressed. The announcement of the new phone’s price was greeted with an embarrassing silence. The moment stuck out like an especially sore thumb because these fans had spent all morning cheering and applauding pretty much everything else.

But here’s what the critics may be missing.

Read: Here’s everything Apple announced at its iPhone event

From the point of view of Apple, what matters isn’t whether you or I would pay a thousand bucks for a new smartphone. It’s whether there are enough people out there who will, and whether Apple can take their money.

And all the evidence says: Yes, there are, and, yes, it can.

Even the original iPhone sold for $700 in today’s money. Plus the cost of the two-year contract you were locked into. Yet people lined up to buy it...

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Never had an issue with my Apple products, sure as hell can't say that for Android or PC. Couple times a week I walk out of my house wearing a watch that tracks my heart rate via a bluetooth heart rate monitor, tracks my speed, location and splits via internal GPS while sending music to my wireless headphones. Once I get home it uploads all of the information to my phone which then uploads it to my internet account all by itself. I can open database spreadsheets, slide presentations and word processing documents on my phone, iPad or Macbook and the progress is saved and shared with the other devices without me doing a thing. Texts, calls and calendar reminders all show up on my watch at a glance as they come in.

I'm happy you're happy, but my life is equally as seamless and painless, in a 100% Apple-free environment.

My wife has used PCs for years and her business is very printer heavy. As a result she goes through a couple printers a year and she insists on buying HP. I always get the pleasant experience of making the printers work with the PCs which is usually a two to three hour process if I don't have to talk to someone in Istanbul for guidance. I can take my Macbook, plug it into the same printer and within two minutes it has gone onto the internet, located the necessary software, installed it and the printer is up and running.

Huh. I have experienced no such problems connecting a Windows 10 Surface to myriad printers. I'm actually pleasantly surprised with how much I like Windows 10 (and this from a long-time Linux user).

I have to use a Windows laptop at work. It's less than six months old and my internet access is heavily restricted so as to not allow any of the 4.3 billion viruses, malware, adware, whatevers to infect it. Every day it picks one piece of software that it doesn't like and I have to reboot it to get the software to work. It's almost always a different piece of software each day but there is always something that doesn't work, always.

Maybe comparing the Apple products to crack is appropriate. I've heard the stuff is good, real good so its fitting.

That sounds more like problems created by your IT policies, than by Windows itself. And the virus thing is rather overblown. Apple always seems to go first in Pwn2Own.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Apple always seems to go first in Pwn2Own.

I'd never heard of Pwn2Own, had to Google it. Just judging by this I'm going to guess that you're more of a computer person than I am. I am a user and only a user. I don't write code and don't understand probably 85% of the terms that start flying when "computer people" are trying to diagnose an issue. If Windows has evolved to be as user friendly for us low level consumers then Apple its a win/win all around. In my experience, Apple products simply work and they make my life much easier for it.

As far as the work laptop you may be right, like I said I known next to nothing about networking (understatement of the decade). The issues I'm having, in my experience are par for the course and nothing new with Windows.

If the Pwn2Own Wiki page is correct it seems the love is spread pretty well among the brands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is why they are hacked less.
    2013-04%20Desktop%20OS%20Market%20Share.png

Smaller market share, so not as many to hit, less incentive to build attacks against. Why attack 6% of the systems when you can focus on the other 92%?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is why they are hacked less.

Smaller market share, so not as many to hit, less incentive to build attacks against. Why attack 6% of the systems when you can focus on the other 92%?

I completely agree with your premise. Supply/demand, and risk/reward, would drive black-hat effort toward Windows on the desktop. However, given that mobile has overtaken desktop in market share, I anticipate those numbers changing. Android and iOS dominate the market share on mobile. It will be interesting to see the trends over the next decade or so.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If I was an apple guy I would. As a photographer there is some really good things going on with this phone. But the apps I need/want are not available on ios, and I had all their proprietary crap.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'd never heard of Pwn2Own, had to Google it. Just judging by this I'm going to guess that you're more of a computer person than I am. I am a user and only a user. I don't write code and don't understand probably 85% of the terms that start flying when "computer people" are trying to diagnose an issue. If Windows has evolved to be as user friendly for us low level consumers then Apple its a win/win all around. In my experience, Apple products simply work and they make my life much easier for it.

As far as the work laptop you may be right, like I said I known next to nothing about networking (understatement of the decade). The issues I'm having, in my experience are par for the course and nothing new with Windows.

If the Pwn2Own Wiki page is correct it seems the love is spread pretty well among the brands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own

Oh, it's a fair assessment; I'm an all-around nerd (like I said: I've been a long-time Linux user at home). And Apple certainly does "just work".

Pwn2Own has had very interesting results. Safari and Flash were basically sieves, which is why the Apple laptops were seemingly taken down so easily (see also: IE on Windows). But, yes: the purpose was to take down all of the laptops. The incentive was that the hacker that first took a platform down got to keep the laptop that was being targeted.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Can't say I've had much issue with my PC, I did try a macbook back when they first came out with the intel CPUs in macs and wasn't impressed. Couldn't find anything it could do/do better than I already knew how to do on a PC for a fraction of the price. Apple usually works unless you don't want it to work the way corporate thinks it ought to work. or until it breaks, at which time it be f*****. Personally, I like working with my actual files rather than letting Apple corporate decide how my pictures ought to be organized, but then I like rowing my own gears in the car too. I won't call myself a luddite but I won't stop others from saying it about me.

PC crappyness usually comes down to ignorance abuse by the user or crappy setup by the admins, though sometimes it's genuine user-device incompatibility like men vs women giving directions.

Top Bottom