Why Can't People Live Their Convictions, Without Forcing Them On Others?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Just a simple example, there are dozens of others. Global warming/new green deal, I do not know a single person, of the many I know that support the legislation, that lives as though they believe it. Neither do the Hollywood types that promote it. Why? If they really are concerned, or some are scared, would they not live their convictions? Why would they only live their convictions if government forces their neighbors to do so as well?

Geez, Mike. The quick answer is that people are selfish and want to be the popular kid by jumping on whatever today's hot topic is. They don't actually believe in the cause they are championing or they would have a history of making decisions in their ever day lives that reflect their beliefs. We are a bundle of a lifetime of decisions. We don't always make the right decisions (whatever that might be) but we learn and grow and keep it moving. In the case of those who want to pretend something is important to them...I've personally found they have very little real life experience and even less patience to learn.

There are a great many ways to embrace 'green' options in our modern world and the technology is evolving daily. Take solar energy for instance. There are systems that a homeowner can install that will capture energy for active use, store for later via a battery bank, and/or sell back to the grid. Unfortunately, many that give voice to the positives are also those working diligently on the neighborhood association board to ensure solar panels are never installed on or around a home in their pristine neighborhood.

Further complicating the 'walk what you talk' idea: The United States has put into place government regulation of waste that is so stringent is it impossible to manufacturer certain consumable goods due to toxic waste. China seems to not shy away from that type of manufacturing so outsourcing of goods became a thing. If we are to bring those activities back to our shores we would need to take a serious look at how to proactively resolve the issue of chemical waste.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Part of an ideology(religion, political views, life styles, diets). Is when you like or love something and it works or doesn't work for you. You want ppl to feel the same usally.

I want everyone who is over weight to internment fast. It has work for me and alot of ppl. I do tell that to anyone who won't run away faster than I can walk beside them

I understand everyone is different and want didn't stuff.
    I dont want any form of any religion in my life and to ride my motorcycle

Some ppl dont have the coordination to ride a motorcycle and belive jesus saves.

So other than diet and exercise I dont try to push my beliefs on other ppl.

But Im not normal and **** I say is not normal. So YMMV

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Did some posts get deleted? Or do I not have enough quality posts to enable them for me to see?

Yes, a subject that is a point of great contention was being discussed. Apparently there were members who had voiced displeasure (strange that it occurred in THIS thread, given the point of the thread).
    I was late to the discussion (story of my life), made a fabulous point, and then the contested item of topic was purged from the thread. Sadly, I cannot restate my point with brilliance as it is a subject matter that cannot be mentioned without offense.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Part of an ideology(religion, political views, life styles, diets). Is when you like or love something and it works or doesn't work for you. You want ppl to feel the same usally.

I want everyone who is over weight to internment fast. It has work for me and alot of ppl. I do tell that to anyone who won't run away faster than I can walk beside them

I understand everyone is different and want didn't stuff.
    I dont want any form of any religion in my life and to ride my motorcycle

Some ppl dont have the coordination to ride a motorcycle and belive jesus saves.

So other than diet and exercise I dont try to push my beliefs on other ppl.

But Im not normal and **** I say is not normal. So YMMV

But you ride so embrace that and know a lot of us share that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OG I went and retrieved this from the trash can just for you and the benifit of those who ,ight.

The abortion thing will not raise from these ashes.....

1 Day Ago#12
    Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    Well, sometimes the stance is irrelevant on an individual level, like climate change.
    Driving an electric car does nothing if the power that is generated for it is done with fossil fuel.
    Recycling your plastics doesn't change ocean acidification.
    Reducing your co2 emissions doesn't mean anything on a small scale.

But the US really isn't the main problem with that, it's china and the 3rd world. I think legislation that hit china hard for this kind of stuff would be perfectly acceptable and do far more than any of the "green new deal" ideals rattling around in the US.

Also, not having an abortion doesn't change the fact that since 1973 over 50 million infants have been murdered.
    Sometimes it's wholly necessary that it is done on a large scale to matter.
    To address the first paragraph: there is a viable solar option available to residential and business customers today. There are also an army of Karen's busying themselves in the neighborhood association bylaws to prevent the use of alternative energies like solar because that just doesn't have the 'look' the neighborhood is wanting. You know, property values and whatnot. I agree, they are the first to post on social opinion platforms a positive opinion if not trumpeting the 'mandate for all' mindset. In practice they are anything but accommodating and will actively work against adopting simple steps at reducing their carbon footprint.

Second: I believe there are a number of items created in China today due to oppressive government regulations within the United States. China does not hesitate to pollute it's lands; the US however, prefers to have someone else do it's dirty work.

Third: Abortion has been legal in these United States for generations (no pun intended). It does not indicate that all persons under the rule of law agree or even promote abortion as a birth control option.

**To clarify a concern lodged in an earlier post, many of the active female posters that were on this forum were banned for various reasons. We've learned to tread lightly in the boys club.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OG I went and retrieved this from the trash can just for you and the benifit of those who ,ight.

The abortion thing will not raise from these ashes.....

1 Day Ago#12
    Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    Well, sometimes the stance is irrelevant on an individual level, like climate change.
    Driving an electric car does nothing if the power that is generated for it is done with fossil fuel.
    Recycling your plastics doesn't change ocean acidification.
    Reducing your co2 emissions doesn't mean anything on a small scale.

But the US really isn't the main problem with that, it's china and the 3rd world. I think legislation that hit china hard for this kind of stuff would be perfectly acceptable and do far more than any of the "green new deal" ideals rattling around in the US.

Also, not having an abortion doesn't change the fact that since 1973 over 50 million infants have been murdered.
    Sometimes it's wholly necessary that it is done on a large scale to matter.
    To address the first paragraph: there is a viable solar option available to residential and business customers today. There are also an army of Karen's busying themselves in the neighborhood association bylaws to prevent the use of alternative energies like solar because that just doesn't have the 'look' the neighborhood is wanting. You know, property values and whatnot. I agree, they are the first to post on social opinion platforms a positive opinion if not trumpeting the 'mandate for all' mindset. In practice they are anything but accommodating and will actively work against adopting simple steps at reducing their carbon footprint.

Second: I believe there are a number of items created in China today due to oppressive government regulations within the United States. China does not hesitate to pollute it's lands; the US however, prefers to have someone else do it's dirty work.

Third: Abortion has been legal in these United States for generations (no pun intended). It does not indicate that all persons under the rule of law agree or even promote abortion as a birth control option.

**To clarify a concern lodged in an earlier post, many of the active female posters that were on this forum were banned for various reasons. We've learned to tread lightly in the boys club.

And as to those great lady's that were booted I want you all too know that Ingo is a completely different place now. Those Mods are no longer active. The old ways are gone. Along with the jack hammers that ran this place with an iron fist and were quick to wield the hammer.
    At one time that was a needed thing. Not these days. I have done all I can to change this.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    People do live their convictions. They just aren't very up front about what their convictions actually are.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    And as to those great lady's that were booted I want you all too know that Ingo is a completely different place now. Those Mods are no longer active. The old ways are gone. Along with the jack hammers that ran this place with an iron fist and were quick to wield the hammer.
    At one time that was a needed thing. Not these days. I have done all I can to change this.

Not to jack the thread to address this but...I do appreciate that statement and everything that went on behind the scenes because of that. I used to be very active years ago and left when all that went down. No one wants to engage in conversation about a topic just to have someone bait you into an argument they intend to report or ban you for. The process of avoiding those circumstances became tedious and frankly more drama than it was worth. I miss many of the posters who are no longer here. We had built a small community of lady shooters that extended beyond the forum. I've been lurking a bit lately and can see that there is beginning to be a return of lady shooters, some who post regularly. I'm sticking my toe in the water. There is a lot at stake in our world today. This discussion forum has been a good source for vetting ideas and learning from others in the past. I'll try and stay in my lane and work on getting 'quality posts'...

Top Bottom