Why Can't People Live Their Convictions, Without Forcing Them On Others?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    People with Christian traditions born in America are taught young to spread their convictions. Politics are just another manifestation of that breeding.

I remember as a kid in Fund. Baptist school being taught to go door to door.... :shudder:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    People with Christian traditions born in America are taught young to spread their convictions. Politics are just another manifestation of that breeding.

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"

Care to guess who taught them that, and why?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

giphy.gif

And if you ever tried to get a drink in Utah, you'd know how the LDS forces their convictions on others.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    giphy.gif

And if you ever tried to get a drink in Utah, you'd know how the LDS forces their convictions on others.

Not disputing that. But to pretend that this is a local phenomenon, restricted to any small group, is just goofy.

People of every religious conviction and every political bent proselytize. Let's not kid ourselves.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"

Care to guess who taught them that, and why?

Why the Church if course. Thats why Protestant bibles mark that verse as a later addition not found in the earliest manuscripts and some Baptize in the Name of Jesus not the trinity, but you probably already knew that!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ya know, there is a thread specifically for arguing about which religious sect has the troof.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Isn't the, "Mye Rites [STRIKE]my desires[/STRIKE] are more important than a society" group, also forcing their convictions on others? :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Isn't the, "Mye Rites [STRIKE]my desires[/STRIKE] are more important than a society" group, also forcing their convictions on others? :dunno:

Eh, I think that depends on the extent to which a freedom affects the rights of others and the priority for those rights. There's some obvious points where most of society recognizes should not be forced upon people. And there are some obvious points where it is necessary to impose some restrictions to protect other people's rights.

An example, in rural areas, people can and should be able to do a lot more on their property because it just doesn't affect others enough to say it's a violation of their rights. In urban areas, what you can do with your property has to have some limitations or people just could not get along. If you're on 100 acres your shooting range is not affecting others, notwithstanding Bubba and Clem trying to intimidate the neighbors by shooting with no backstop into their woods. If you're in a NY tiny little apartment, society has a right to tell you, sorry, you can't shoot guns on your property.

In the country, yeah, it's annoying that the neighbors burn leaves and smoke up the whole ***damn place. But they try to do it on days where the smoke bothers some other neighborhood. And there are some things I do on my property they probably don't like either, but I try to bury the bodies deep enough so they don't smell to bad.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Inherently, by what rights are and how we define them, no.

My rights end where your rights begin.

There's no right to safety in this country, so that is not a consideration for rights.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    giphy.gif

Lived in the Little America hotel Monday through Friday the second half of 1980.
    Anything you wanted and a whole lot you didn't was trying to make a sale.
    And oh my the out of town girls in long dresses and long hair making their pilgrimage to Mecca.
    The state run liquor stores though... now that got me a giggle.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Inherently, by what rights are and how we define them, no.

My rights end where your rights begin.

There's no right to safety in this country, so that is not a consideration for rights.

That's an individualist's view of rights. But there are collectivist cultures where the group right is regarded primary over the individual's rights. For example, some tribal cultures are very collectivist minded. They would sacrifice an individual for the sake of the tribe's survival. By Western standards we find that repugnant. I think the individualist world view is superior in the most important ways compared with collectivists. But there are some disadvantages to that, which we all acknowledge and accept. Collectivism is very old. The idea of individualism is fairly young. It's resulted in greater peace and prosperity and technical progress in the world than ever before it. But some would call that a problem rather than a solution.

Top Bottom