why do bad things happen to good people?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My Mother, whom I believe to have been a "good person", didn't handle that metastatic cancer so well.

IMHO, when you say something like that (or "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" or words to that effect), there's the possibility that a "good person" WON'T be able to handle it. If so, that necessarily implies that they were NOT a "good person". I doubt that makes the person feel any better about him- or herself.

Robin Williams was arguably a very good person, based on his charity work, his numerous USO tours to the Middle East (more than any other performer) and the comments of those that knew him, yet depression and other health issues got the better of him. So, is he now NOT a "good person"?

It's simply that fact that people more easily remember the bad things that have happened to them vs. the good. There's obvious survival value in remembering EVERY bad thing that happens to you so that - hopefully - you won't get into that situation again. Yet even with that survival instinct, we still have to remind guys not to stick their d**k into crazy!!!

Yes. I absolutely meant to imply that anyone who dies must not have been a good person since they apparently didn't handle something well. You got me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like this one. Mind if I borrow it?

OP sorry for your run of bad luck. If it makes you feel any better I've had a really bad go of things recently too. One of a few reasons I have not been as active on here as usual. It's not just you stuff happens to all of us. Like everyone else has said it is how you deal with it that matters.

Its yours my friend.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My best friend who was dying from cancer asked me one day.."Why did this happen to me? What did I do that was so bad, do you think God is punishing me?" I was almost overwhelmed, but felt a peace…..and said.."Sometimes bad things happen to very good people like you, and sometimes good things happen to very bad people. The sun and the rain, they both fall on the good and the evil."

good way of looking at it...

Top Bottom