Why Do Christians Support Israel (the Nation)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The better question, or the Christian, is "What is Israel?"

Well since you moved the goal posts...

Genesis 12:1Nowthe LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thykindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
    2And I willmake of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great;and thou shalt be a blessing:
    3And I willbless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shallall families of the earth be blessed.

Genesis32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

Exodus 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
    16Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:

Israel is the decendants of Jacob/Israel individually or corprately, free or slave and wherever they may be.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Golden-Calf.jpg

Eat Mor Chikin!

OK, This is actually one area where I try to sit on the sidelines. On one hand you have passages such as in Genesis cursing those that oppose the Jews. Then you have other passages such as Romans 11 where we see how the Jews have fallen away. Where do the Jews fit in the future? I don't know, but I don't want to be an obstruction.

I support the State of Israel more from a sociopolitical reasoning than from a theological one. In my mind it makes good political sense to ally with Israel. And, admittedly, I've got a cultural bias against Muslim states.

Theologically speaking, the state of Israel seems much more secular than Jewish; where being a Jew is more about who you are than who you worship (just like most Jews in America). It's really hard to reconcile the notion that these "Chosen People" deny the existence of their God (let alone the Messiah who has come).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What end were they supposed to hold up? I don't see anything in the Genesis 12 passage.

Would you say the Israel has obeyed the voice of God and kept his covenant? I'll follow that up with, do you believe that Jesus is the "voice" of God.

For reference, Exodus 19:5

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Was my first post not clears as to the perspective I'm seeking? I support Israel's right to exist, as a matter of it being hard-fought, battle won.... not, especially not, because of Biblical prophecy. In fact, I don't think it reconciles with prophecy at all.

respect of the ancestry I suppose. Jesus was a Jew obviously.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Romans 11
    [1] … I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. [2] God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, [3] Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. [4] But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. [5] Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. [6] And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. [7] What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded [8] (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear unto this day). [9] And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: [10] Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway. [11] I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. [12] Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? [13] For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: [14] If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. [15] For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be , but life from the dead? [16] For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy : and if the root be holy, so are the branches. [17] And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; [18] Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. [19] Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. [20] Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: [21] For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. [22] Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. [23] And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. [24] For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches , be graffed into their own olive tree? [25] For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. [26] And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: [27] For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. [28] As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. [29] For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. [30] For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: [31] Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. [32] For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. [33] O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! [34] For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? [35] Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? [36] For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

Reference this agains Romans 2, particularly verses 28-29.

[1] … Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. [2] But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things. [3] And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God? [4] Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? [5] But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; [6] Who will render to every man according to his deeds: [7] To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: [8] But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, [9] Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; [10] But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: [11] For there is no respect of persons with God. [12] For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; [13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. [14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: [15] Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another [16] In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. [17] Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, [18] And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law; [19] And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness, [20] An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law. [21] Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal? [22] Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege? [23] Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? [24] For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. [25] For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision. [26] Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? [27] And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law? [28] For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: [29] But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

The promises to Abraham have been fulfilled. He is the father of many nations (Romans 4:16-17). The Son of David sat down on the right hand of the throne. All Israel shall be saved because Israel is the sum of the pruning and grafting of Romans 11. Therefore, many ethnically "wild olives" are part of the Tree, and many natural branches are pruned off. But the Tree is saved. The political entity that exists in the historical homeland of ancient Israel today is about as much Israel as Americans are descendants of Amerigo Vespucci. That country is about the best thing going in that region, with the possible exception of Jordan. But that is purely political. And politics is almost always a distraction from the gospel. I desire, with Paul, that those Israelites according to the flesh which are not saved will soon be redeemed.

Romans 9:1-8
    [1] … I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, [2] That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. [3] For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: [4] Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God , and the promises; [5] Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came , who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. [6] Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: [7] Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. [8] That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. …

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Sorry for the long post, but this has been a subject of some consideration for me. If you take the time to read the scriptures quoted, I hope you'll find some answers.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I may be wrong but this guy may be the reflection Kut is looking for in the mirror he is holding...I am enjoying this thread....

[video=youtube;5sMEkGoojbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMEkGoojbg[/video]

I tried to rep you kut but I need to spread it around...Very nice thread and educational for me...Thank you....

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Good question kutnupe14. But not simple to answer. God promised Abraham and Moses the property in the Old Testament, you’ll have to study a little on your own. there isn’t a quick answer. Jesus promised the Holy Spirit freely to all those who believe the gospel. And then The Holly Spirit will lead you to to all truth. I also look at it like this. God sent his son into to the world, he had to arrive somewhere, and he arrived in Bethlehem to a little Jewish girl. It was prophesied long ago.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The promises to Abraham have been fulfilled. He is the father of many nations (Romans 4:16-17). The Son of David sat down on the right hand of the throne. All Israel shall be saved because Israel is the sum of the pruning and grafting of Romans 11. Therefore, many ethnically "wild olives" are part of the Tree, and many natural branches are pruned off. But the Tree is saved. The political entity that exists in the historical homeland of ancient Israel today is about as much Israel as Americans are descendants of Amerigo Vespucci. That country is about the best thing going in that region, with the possible exception of Jordan. But that is purely political. And politics is almost always a distraction from the gospel. I desire, with Paul, that those Israelites according to the flesh which are not saved will soon be redeemed.

Ding!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Good question kutnupe14. But not simple to answer. God promised Abraham and Moses the property in the Old Testament, you’ll have to study a little on your own. there isn’t a quick answer. Jesus promised the Holy Spirit freely to all those who believe the gospel. And then The Holly Spirit will lead you to to all truth. I also look at it like this. God sent his son into to the world, he had to arrive somewhere, and he arrived in Bethlehem to a little Jewish girl. It was prophesied long ago.

I recall singing the song "Father Abraham."

Galatians 3:26 -29
    [FONT=&quot]26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.[/FONT]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I may be wrong but this guy may be the reflection Kut is looking for in the mirror he is holding...I am enjoying this thread....

[video=youtube;5sMEkGoojbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMEkGoojbg[/video]

I tried to rep you kut but I need to spread it around...Very nice thread and educational for me...Thank you....

Thought provoking. I like the subject... as it furthers my own understanding.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    For the biblical minded people. Explain why it reconciles, with the Christian faith, to support a nation where most of the resident's beliefs, run contrary to the Christian understandings of the Holy Bible.
    I wouldn't say their beliefs run contrary to mine aside from most of them not accepting Jesus as their Messiah (yet).
    Is this the "true," Israel that Christians are supposed to be supporting, or is there something that will one day replace it?
    Depending on how you wish to interpret Revelation, only 144,000 of the Jews will be "sealed" so that's far less than the millions currently on Earth. Though Paul says all Israel will be saved so maybe the 144K have a special role. I haven't studied that in depth yet.
    I look for answers related to faith.
    For me I support Israel because I wouldn't be saved without them, which was all part of God's plan. Their refusal to accept Jesus led to salvation for the Gentiles. That's all discussed pretty well in Rom 9-11. They are also important for the end times, and I'd rather Jesus come back sooner than later. :)

Top Bottom