Why Do Christians Support Israel (the Nation)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    For the biblical minded people. Explain why it reconciles, with the Christian faith, to support a nation where most of the resident's beliefs, run contrary to the Christian understandings of the Holy Bible.

Why should Christians be bound to only support nations where residents believe exactly what our interpretation of the Holy Bible teaches? If we are to take that approach, it opens quite a can of worms. Bring home all the missionaries working with government officials in S.E Asia, Africa, and other parts of the world that might think differently than us. Also, if the basis of support is the residents believing the same "Christian understandings of the Holy Bible," what Christian understanding are we going with? Where do you draw the line? There are many sects of the Christian faith not only in the USA but in other parts of the world. Many have differing understanding and teachings based on the Holy Bible. Do we use Catholic teaching, Nazarene, Presbyterian, or some of the more extreme understandings?
    Perhaps as a Christian, it is not so important to base support on what they believe but based on what is just and right according to the teachings of Christ. Seeking justice, peace and protection for a group of people that have been tormented and persecuted for generations regardless of their belief is consistent with Biblical teachings. Deciding whether a group of people deserve justice and peace based on religious beliefs, ethnicity, race, gender seems to me to be contrary to biblical teachings.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I can not get the meaning of this.....I have tried to....And then in reading this thread it popped into my head again....It may not be relevant to this thread but when things pop in my head at odd times I'll wrassle with it some...

Mark 11:12–14 and 11:20–25 [SUP][2][/SUP]
    The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again". And his disciples heard him say it.
    In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!" "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."
    Matthew 21:18–22 [SUP][3][/SUP]
    Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered. When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked. Jesus replied, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

we-might-imagine-that-jesus-had-many-human-faults-he-failed-most-humanly-in-my-reckoning-when-he-killed-the-fig-tree-just-because-it-didnt-bear-any-figs-for-his-breakfast-that-was-a-disgraceful-bad-tempered-thing-to-do-and-to-try-and-make-a-virtue-of-it-by-saying-it-was-a-demonstration-of-faith-only-made-things-worse-228035.jpg

quote-the-story-of-the-cursing-of-the-fig-tree-is-important-for-us-today-for-as-the-jews-of-eric-d-huntsman-139-85-64.jpg

6c9745596cdf19268a4ad971fa0bed78.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    not having read the whole thread, though I will later....

Most Protestants believe in an invisible "Church". Acceptance of this belief is in direct opposition to a belief in a visible Church. Those who believe in a visible Church, believe that this visible Church IS the new Israel and as such have no need of recognizing the nation of Israel as a fulfillment of prophecy because the Church IS the fulfillment of those prophecies.

In the realm of an invisible Church, there is no such conflict.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think It was a teaching moment. Those that truly believe will bear fruit because of it. Those that appear as though they have faith but their hearts are stone will talk the talk but not walk the walk--or bear fruit. And they'll be cursed.

I can not get the meaning of this.....I have tried to....And then in reading this thread it popped into my head again....It may not be relevant to this thread but when things pop in my head at odd times I'll wrassle with it some...

Mark 11:12–14 and 11:20–25 [SUP][2][/SUP]
    The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again". And his disciples heard him say it.
    In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!" "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."
    Matthew 21:18–22 [SUP][3][/SUP]
    Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered. When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked. Jesus replied, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

we-might-imagine-that-jesus-had-many-human-faults-he-failed-most-humanly-in-my-reckoning-when-he-killed-the-fig-tree-just-because-it-didnt-bear-any-figs-for-his-breakfast-that-was-a-disgraceful-bad-tempered-thing-to-do-and-to-try-and-make-a-virtue-of-it-by-saying-it-was-a-demonstration-of-faith-only-made-things-worse-228035.jpg

quote-the-story-of-the-cursing-of-the-fig-tree-is-important-for-us-today-for-as-the-jews-of-eric-d-huntsman-139-85-64.jpg

6c9745596cdf19268a4ad971fa0bed78.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think It was a teaching moment. Those that truly believe will bear fruit because of it. Those that appear as though they have faith but their hearts are stone will talk the talk but not walk the walk--or bear fruit. And they'll be cursed.

It just seemed out of character.....It's like He was as mad at that fig tree as He was the money changers in the Temple....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It just seemed out of character.....It's like He was as mad at that fig tree as He was the money changers in the Temple....

I can see that. But I think that's a superficial take of it. Not to be insulting or anything as that is the kind of thing we humans might do out of frustration. Jesus had a relatively short time to teach what He needed to and maybe He felt the lesson was ripe to be taught. (Without refreshing my memory, I don't remember what preceded that event that might provide context.). Besides, He could conjure up bread and fishes whenever he wanted. :)

Another lesson might be He was trying to demonstrate the power of faith and prayer. He's God so all things belong to Him to do as He pleases. I doubt the object of the lesson would be He wanted us to be destructive but to demonstrate faith's power. I'm not sure...I'm trying to figure it out too.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Inducky,

My understanding of that incident is this.

Let me preface it with this. There is a saying in Christianity that the fact that you are still alive is proof that God still has a use for you.

As christians we are admonished to prove what is that good, acceptable, and perfect will for our lives.

Every saved person has the wherewithall to be in the perfect will of God. This in no way means that they are perfect only that they are working hard doing exactally what God wants.

Some do not live up to their full potential, for whatever reason. But their heart is toward God and they do a good job trying to serve him.

Then there are those who do not dedicate themselves completely to God, but still do some for Him and those He loves.

There may come a time in my life where because of indifference or inability there is no more need for me to be here. I then go to Heaven and live eternally with Jesus.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I can see that. But I think that's a superficial take of it. Not to be insulting or anything as that is the kind of thing we humans might do out of frustration. Jesus had a relatively short time to teach what He needed to and maybe He felt the lesson was ripe to be taught. (Without refreshing my memory, I don't remember what preceded that event that might provide context.). Besides, He could conjure up bread and fishes whenever he wanted. :)

Another lesson might be He was trying to demonstrate the power of faith and prayer. He's God so all things belong to Him to do as He pleases. I doubt the object of the lesson would be He wanted us to be destructive but to demonstrate faith's power. I'm not sure...I'm trying to figure it out too.

Maybe...Or maybe us being human we are trying to think everything the Gospels wrote down that Jesus did has a meaning....

When I get to kingdom I will ask....

"Lord...What did that mean???"

"I just wanted to see you all wrestle with it and talk about it.....You all had seen me heal the sick and feed the hungry so many times I thought I would mix it up a bit....."

:)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Inducky,

My understanding of that incident is this.

Let me preface it with this. There is a saying in Christianity that the fact that you are still alive is proof that God still has a use for you.

As christians we are admonished to prove what is that good, acceptable, and perfect will for our lives.

Every saved person has the wherewithall to be in the perfect will of God. This in no way means that they are perfect only that they are working hard doing exactally what God wants.

Some do not live up to their full potential, for whatever reason. But their heart is toward God and they do a good job trying to serve him.

Then there are those who do not dedicate themselves completely to God, but still do some for Him and those He loves.

There may come a time in my life where because of indifference or inability there is no more need for me to be here. I then go to Heaven and live eternally with Jesus.

Thank You Blue Falcon....That makes sense....

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A few verses that helped me formulate that opinion.
    2 Timothy 2:15 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextStudy to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Romans 12:2 | View whole chapter | See verse in contextAnd be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

[FONT=&amp]
    Mark 4:
    [/FONT]3 Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow:
    4And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.
    5And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:
    6But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.
    7And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.
    8And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe...Or maybe us being human we are trying to think everything the Gospels wrote down that Jesus did has a meaning....

When I get to kingdom I will ask....

"Lord...What did that mean???"

"I just wanted to see you all wrestle with it and talk about it.....You all had seen me heal the sick and feed the hungry so many times I thought I would mix it up a bit....."

:)

:D

Kinda shows ya how feeble minded us humans really are, that we have a hard time understanding God's plainly worded lessons.

I've been around some really smart people that can do a really good job explaining such verses, parables, etc. and I'm usually agog that my reading and understanding was so simple minded and ignorant compared to them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I always thought the Jews sold better Christmas trees than the other religions of the area.
    I really didn't think much farther than that 'til this thread caught my attention.

Top Bottom