• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    XD's recoil more due to a much higher bore axis. This is also what lends to the 5" models feeling nose heavy. Go shoot the exact same load through an XD, a Glock, and a CZ. If you are honest about it, you will find they recoil most, less, and least. This is a direct relationship to how high the bore sits in your hand. If you like a gun with a little more recoil, or a busier muzzle end, as some people do, then fine. Just dont act like an XD is the end all be all for every situation. Lets not forget that Springfield didnt make the XD, they bought the design, and IMO, cut corners to make them even cheaper. The old HS2000's had issues of their own, but were still better than the current crop of XD's.

I've seen more XD's go full auto than all other semi automatic pistols combined. Then you get to ship it back, on your dime, and pay to have it fixed because Springfield wont sell any parts to you, or any gunsmith for that matter.

Try taking an XD all the way apart and you will need a pliers and flat screwdriver to pry the ejectors out, due to them being pressed in. That sound like advanced mechanical engineering to you? Then you get to use a brass hammer to tap it back into place, providing you havent broken the part removing it. The last ones I have seen were full of hollow roll pins, which when bent, smashed, or oblonged limit the flexing of the frame that is so important to function. Try putting an XD and a Glock through a 1,000 round weekend practice session, and I wouldnt bet a drive through dinner that an XD is still standing at the end. My Glock is still going after plenty of them.

My Glock eats lead bullets and 50,000 rounds later I'm still waiting for it to break. They eat everything from 9mm Major loads down to 100 pf steel loads with nothing more than a change in recoil spring. I'll put me and my Glock against an XD anyday if someone wants to take the Pepsi Challenge. I wont win them all, but I am confident I'd win enough to prove a point.

I dont really care what anyone else shoots, but lets at least be honest about what the score is, or make an attempt to look at things from a mechanical perspective when analyzing a mechanical item.

Also, there is no single platform to choose. We can all have 1911's, XD's, Glocks, Sig, Beretta, and even (gasp) revolvers, shoot them all and use them where each is best suited to a particular individual.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    XD's recoil more due to a much higher bore axis. This is also what lends to the 5" models feeling nose heavy. Go shoot the exact same load through an XD, a Glock, and a CZ. If you are honest about it, you will find they recoil most, less, and least. This is a direct relationship to how high the bore sits in your hand. If you like a gun with a little more recoil, or a busier muzzle end, as some people do, then fine. Just dont act like an XD is the end all be all for every situation. Lets not forget that Springfield didnt make the XD, they bought the design, and IMO, cut corners to make them even cheaper. The old HS2000's had issues of their own, but were still better than the current crop of XD's.

I've seen more XD's go full auto than all other semi automatic pistols combined. Then you get to ship it back, on your dime, and pay to have it fixed because Springfield wont sell any parts to you, or any gunsmith for that matter.

Try taking an XD all the way apart and you will need a pliers and flat screwdriver to pry the ejectors out, due to them being pressed in. That sound like advanced mechanical engineering to you? Then you get to use a brass hammer to tap it back into place, providing you havent broken the part removing it. The last ones I have seen were full of hollow roll pins, which when bent, smashed, or oblonged limit the flexing of the frame that is so important to function. Try putting an XD and a Glock through a 1,000 round weekend practice session, and I wouldnt bet a drive through dinner that an XD is still standing at the end. My Glock is still going after plenty of them.

My Glock eats lead bullets and 50,000 rounds later I'm still waiting for it to break. They eat everything from 9mm Major loads down to 100 pf steel loads with nothing more than a change in recoil spring. I'll put me and my Glock against an XD anyday if someone wants to take the Pepsi Challenge. I wont win them all, but I am confident I'd win enough to prove a point.

I dont really care what anyone else shoots, but lets at least be honest about what the score is, or make an attempt to look at things from a mechanical perspective when analyzing a mechanical item.

Also, there is no single platform to choose. We can all have 1911's, XD's, Glocks, Sig, Beretta, and even (gasp) revolvers, shoot them all and use them where each is best suited to a particular individual.
    WOW ! lol

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    glocks have been completly proven already over the years to be top of the line sidearms. they just are one of the best weapons you can buy in all categories period. this isnt even an opinion. its through years of field use by countless number of people and agencies. with that said it doesnt mean you gotta have one or even like them. there are many other good guns also.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    glocks have been completly proven already over the years to be top of the line sidearms. they just are one of the best weapons you can buy in all categories period. this isnt even an opinion. its through years of field use by countless number of people and agencies. with that said it doesnt mean you gotta have one or even like them. there are many other good guns also.

I wouldnt consider them top of the line. Good, Yes...but not top of the line.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I wouldnt consider them top of the line. Good, Yes...but not top of the line.

IMO, Glock sits squarely at the intersection of quality, reliability, durability, ergonomics, weight, capacity and price. Different makes & models can arguably do "better" in any one of those categories, but only at the expense of one or more of the others – your needs and priorities will determine whether or not that is acceptable.

The wide availability of factory and aftermarket parts and doodads, coupled with the ease of getting the gun serviced (every gunshop in town has at least one certified armorer on staff, and the guns are ridiculously easy to work on) makes the GLOCK a more complete package than the competition, IMO. It's certainly the top of my line, and that's all that matters to me! :)

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    As much as I hate to give Glock credit. The three companies I'm most interested in when it comes to defensive/fighting handguns are Glock, HK, and Sig.
    I don't think any of the three are more or less reliable than the others.

I think Glock gets the overall simple to use award. Although the Sig P250 is identical when it comes to controls with a MUCH better cleaning/take down process. The HK (at least the P30) gets my vote for most ergonomic, and in general likely are the most durable of the bunch.

But once Price is factored in, Glock really does have an advantage over the other two. The P250 (closest thing to a glock I've seen from HK, or Sig) is ~ $600 street price. Putting it $100-$150 over the average price of a new Glock. HK P30's are another $100-$150 higher than that.

I'd happily trust my life to any of the above.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Fenway, are you asking which of the HKs is most durable?
    likely the USP, followed by the P30/P2000/HK45 Although construction of all of the above are pretty similar.

the newer guns aren't nearly as heavy as the USP series.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Are you saying out of the HK line the P30 is most durable. Or out of the Sig, Glock, HKs, in question the P30 is the most durable.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Are you saying out of the HK line the P30 is most durable. Or out of the Sig, Glock, HKs, in question the P30 is the most durable.

Glock and HK pistols are both exceptionally durable with a small number of little pieces inside of them. I would guess they are pretty close to the same overall. Sigs look like clockwork if you ever pull the grip panels off the frame. Due the extremely low number of parts in a Glock, I'd imagine they take the edge slightly over the HK line of pistols. Less parts mean less things that might fail.

Out of the HK Line I suspect it's likely the USP, followed by the P30/P2000/HK45.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Glock and HK pistols are both exceptionally durable with a small number of little pieces inside of them. I would guess they are pretty close to the same overall. Sigs look like clockwork if you ever pull the grip panels off the frame. Due the extremely low number of parts in a Glock, I'd imagine they take the edge slightly over the HK line of pistols. Less parts mean less things that might fail.

Out of the HK Line I suspect it's likely the USP, followed by the P30/P2000/HK45.

I disagree. I would say the SIG is just a durable if not more.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjmtj9TgX8]YouTube - FirepowerTV Ultimate Gun Tortue Test[/ame]

Plus my 226 was made in 1984. I have no idea how many rounds it has had through it, but it has been a ton. It works like it was made yesterday.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    The m9 is a fine pistol IMHO. I won't trash other handguns but give the glock a try, you might find that you would like a smaller, lighter pistol than the m9 for a ccw. Springfields are nice pistols but I don't care for the grip angle. The glock for me is the best natural pointing pistol for the money. This is coming from a guy that owns pistols made by beretta, hk, sig, springfield, colt, fn and many others.

I'd recommend a 19 (midsize) also look at the 17 (full size).

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I avoided GLOCK for a long time, simply because they became so popular and it seemed every joker was singing their praises.

I found out they are good firearms, and I now own a few.

But you can be well armed with or without a GLOCK.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    But you can be well armed with or without a GLOCK.

Well put!! :thumbsup:

Some folks on here may think I'm a Glock hater, which isn't true. Glocks are good weapons, they're just not my first choice. I always said if I was on a department that forced me to carry Glock I wouldn't feel unsafe or under-equipped, I just wouldn't be carrying my personal choice of weapon. :twocents:

Oh and....... they're damn ugly!!! :lmfao:

:cheers:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Well put!! :thumbsup:

Some folks on here may think I'm a Glock hater, which isn't true. Glocks are good weapons, they're just not my first choice. I always said if I was on a department that forced me to carry Glock I wouldn't feel unsafe or under-equipped, I just wouldn't be carrying my personal choice of weapon. :twocents:

Oh and....... they're damn ugly!!! :lmfao:

:cheers:

Yes, indeed. :D

Lots of fine handguns out there. Lots to choose from that will do the job, be it citizen self-defense or peace officer duty. Pick what works on a personal level.

I am not carrying a GLOCK today.

Tomorrow I might well be..................

Top Bottom