• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'll jump in and repeat with the other 1911 fans. In addition to it's history etc.:

1) It works--so well that most other handgun designs borrow a lot from it.
    2) 45ACP is also a reliable caliber
    3) Excellent ergonomics
    4) It's one of the thinnest guns relative to it's caliber. I'm skinny so that's important for ccw.
    5) When I tooled up, the Glock didn't yet exist, and I don't feel a need to fix what isn't broken. I DO like the XD and S&W M&P though, and have bought a Kahr CM9 for deep concealment.
    6) It's crisp, short, single action trigger makes it easy to shoot well

It's probably not the best choice in a carry gun for a new gun owner because of it's trigger and manual safety, so again it's not what I would recommend as a 1st pistol. but put on your "bucket list" of pistols to own!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Now this IS perfection!

rogersprecision1911.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The feel, the look, the reliability, and the history behind it. I was like you once and finally after many years I slapped down the coin for a good one. I wouldnt trade it for anything. My wife even started shooting it so now I have to share. We both shoot local action matches with it and now has lead into reloading. I haver also bought a Kahr CW45 for summer time concealment otherwise my 1911 is with me all the time.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Not everyone loves 1911's. I like them, and they are relatively easy to shoot well. They have an undeniable appeal as a classic American design. But for me, there are better choices on the market today for 'working guns'. Your mileage may vary.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I believe it is personal preference. To me, it looks very intimidating and beautiful. You don't want a plastic gun that looks like a toy. OK, I'm joking. But if you pull a 1911 on said bad guy he'll will **** himself silly. Plus, if you do run out of ammo (and you probably will), you can use the weight of it as a blunt object.

Did I mention they look beautiful?

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    To me, the shootability and engineering of the 1911 have made me a fan for life. They can make a good shooter out of almost anyone. Besides that, when you function test a 1911 after a good cleaning, you can feel things happening in there...lugs unlock and lock, the barrel link lets the barrel swing down and so on. They're priced right too. You can have an acceptable 1911 on an M&P budget.

n9scg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    RE: Why does everyone love the 1911?

In my opinion the 1911 is a tried and true platform for the .45 ACP cartridge. I have found that I can shoot my 1911 better than any of my other handguns. If you look around you can get into a 1911 for less than 500 dollars, even one chambered in 9MM. Rock Island armory 1911 are to some an entry level 1911, but believe me they are well worth the money. I work part time at an indoor range we have an RIA1911 in the rental case and it runs and runs. But as with any machine it will only take so much use and abuse. The biggest issue I have seen with it has been magazine reliability. So if you decide to purchase a 1911, go for the good mags.

Top Bottom